Poll: What size tent(s) for 2 people on PCT Thru-hike?

Default Gear Help - 2p or two solo tents for PCT

I can't decide on a few gear size options. I was hoping to hear some thought/opinions/insights.

My friend and I will be doing the NOBO PCT hike next Spring.

What are your thoughts on sharing a 2p tent or separate solo tents.

Also, she is vegetarian, I am not. Two separate stoves/cook kits or share? We will be re hydrating most of our dinners.

Thanks!

I share when I'm with my girlfriend but if I go with another guy friend friend I'm sleeping solo. I know girls are different about that kind of stuff but I would just rather sleep alone when not with a significant other. To be honest, my girlfriend would probably rather me sleep alone when we hike too, she says the smell is unbearable at times. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Separate stoves and cook kits makes meals faster, a bit more independent if not eating all the same, provides backup and enables separation if it comes to that.
    I'd probably take a 2 person "tent" plus a backup tarp/poncho to extent covered area options in bad weather, allow open light coverage if whole tent is not wanted at times, and provide for separate shelters if it ever comes to that, plus a tarp/poncho can be one person's rain gear.

I would go with a 2 person, but I would also have a solo tent ready to ship in case one of you decides to quit or is injured and unable to continue. That way the other can shave some weight out of their pack as they go on. One cook kit can work well if all you are just boiling water, if you are cooking with separate diets might consider 2 kits.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

I vote a 1.5-person tent that you can squeeze into and get a tolerable night's sleep in rare cases, but that you could carry by yourself if one of you left the trail. Something like the "2-person" Big Agnes Fly Creek or the ZPacks Hexamid Solo Plus. Depending on your tolerance for insect life, both flying and crawling, you may find yourself cowboy camping almost the entire way and only getting in a tent in cases of rain (could be 40 nights of the trail, could be 5 total; I've heard of both) or extreme mosquitos.

There's also the consideration that you two might continue on the trail, but separately. In that case you really both need your own tent. You just have to decide for yourselves before you start if you're going to be willing to wait possibly long amounts of time, or skip ahead, if your circumstances (injury, issues at home) or pace change dramatically.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Registered User BenOnAdventures's Avatar
    Images

I think the best way would be to share the gear and just go with one tent between the two of you, that's just my preference though. It'll conserve weight. Hope this helps.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I think the PCT is a pretty dry hike (historically). On my PCT thru it rained like maybe 5 times and 4 of those were in Washington.

My wife and I carry separate tents because at the end of the day we both need some space and a quiet place for some alone time. It's nice to be together but it's also nice to create some space.

It's been raining and snowing off and on all this month in this drought year in Southern California. Bring adequate equipment for both of you if you are separated. Bring your own gear so that both of you are completely self-sufficient. If you can go the distance together (and unless you are married it's not guaranteed), then you can swap out for a 2-person tent and shared cooking equipment. Even if you are married you might decide you want to hike separately for a while. I met a couple that decided they could get two adventures for the price of one if they hiked part of the trail separately. They planned to meet up after the next section and share stories with each other.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Also, something I forgot.. I would carry a two person shelter regardless. Even when I hike solo I still carry the same two person tent, I would also both carry a stove. In fact, when I hike with a friend it's no different than hiking alone except I'm with someone. Two is one and one is none. One of the advantages of hiking with a partner is you now have twice the gear. If one of y'all's tents, stoves etc fails, you have instant access to a backup. I also like using the same two person tent as it gives me extra space when alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your advice! I think we've decided on 2 solo tents (actually a solo tent big enough for two, and i think my partner is going to the hammock route).

The Lightheart Gear Solong 6 is a highly regarded spacious for one and adequate for two under 2 pounds tent. Double side entrance is a BIG plus.
    Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Red Beans and Rice or Chilli Mac
    either way, you'll be wanting your own tent !!

Images

I almost always opt for the solo version of things, because if you want to split off and go alone for a day or two it'll be really easy. If I'm sharing a tent and cook setup with someone, I sometimes feel a little bit confined, like I have no option but to stay with that person the whole time. But it definitely depends on your personality
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

I think you made a good choice: people hike at a different pace. Also, there are times you want to take in the scenery.

Meeting up, sharing the day in conversation, and/or, sharing food works better, I feel.

++ New Posts ++