WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default North GA short hike with child

My 4 yr old grandson and myself are going to be in North GA this weekend and I want to take him for a short hike on the AT. I talked to someone on here a few years back who had some short hikes.
    |.............| Put this on your
    |... *..*....| profile if you have
    |....\o/.....| ever walked into a
    |.....|......| Patio Door that was
    |..../.\.....| CLOSED!!!!!!
    |.............|

Images

Any suggestions would be great. Also, any activities or events that we could attend would be great too.
    |.............| Put this on your
    |... *..*....| profile if you have
    |....\o/.....| ever walked into a
    |.....|......| Patio Door that was
    |..../.\.....| CLOSED!!!!!!
    |.............|

If he likes water, park at three forks and hike north (east) to Long Creek Falls (about 100 yards left off AT on BMT), or south to Stover Creek shelter.

If he wants views, Woody Gap north (east) to Preaching Rock. Or Tray Gap to Tray Mountain. Blood Mountain has the best views, but it might be much for a 4yo.

Could also do Springer up and down or if he really likes walking Springer to BMT back to the parking lot.

I was going to suggest 3 forks to Long creek falls too, its only a mile there and back.

A mile each way, sorry.

take him to Amicalola Falls State Park ... hike up to the base of the waterfalls or the top of the falls....lots of trails at the State Park with plenty of parking and the Visitor Center you guys can look around

the other hikes suggested here are great ones too for young kids

This is one of the views off the BMT about a mile from Springer, a better view than Springer too, even though it isn't nearly as high up.
    http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...psxpxk0tnf.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BumpJumper View Post
    My 4 yr old grandson and myself are going to be in North GA this weekend and I want to take him for a short hike on the AT. I talked to someone on here a few years back who had some short hikes.
    When my kids were little they liked hiking the short trails up to see the many waterfalls in there area. Its a fun adventure to seek out and try to see all the falls.

Alternatively, depending on how "old" of a 4-year old he is and physical ability, hiking up Blood mountain can be quite the adventure for young-ens. We used to camp at Vogel State Park; I would take the ankle biters from the camp ground up to the top early in the morning for a nice morning view. Another nice sense of accomplishment and adventure.

I would suggest parking at Hogen Gap (GA 348/Richard B Russell Scenic Hwy) and hike south to the top of Wildcat Mtn (take the trail to the Whitley Gap Shelter). Short hike to the top, the trail along the ridgeline is classic rhododendron green tunnel. Great views from the top of Wildcat Mtn across the valley to Cowrock Mtn. I call it the best bang for the buck hike in N. Ga. Here is a link to a route map. .7 mile one-way. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6615486

++ New Posts ++