WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I think we are zeroing in too much on the alternative trails idea too much. And missing the main point..why a well established trail that is on the radar? Just my .05 worth.

Any long trail, and the culture on it, in this day of social media, is going to stand out...at least since oh say 2010 or 2011. Add in the interest in long hikes in general as well and it is head scratcher.

There are many places in the lower 48, esp out West, where people go to get away. And people pay no mind. Eccentrics and a loner? Just another person in a small desert town who wants no questions asked. Go to Alaska or better yet, abroad? Even better. I imagine $9 million dollar can get a person out of the country AND establish a new life.

People have done it with less resources and longer.

http://www.pennlive.com/projects/201...rs-on-the-run/
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ommunity.html\

and so on...

But if you insert yourself and become part of a mainly affluent, and perhaps more importantly a very plugged in and tight knit social community that is the bulk of the long distance tribe, sooner or later you are going to get noticed.

Probably better ways to go under the radar than hiking one of the most famous walking paths in the world.

Of course, we are trying to apply logic to a person who abandoned his family, stole $9 million and was on the run for six years.
    There's a certain amount of arrogance required to perpetrate the embezzlement that he did...to continue it for such a long time, etc. I think that same arrogance could easily surface when it comes to hiding from the authorities. I'm sure he thought he wouldn't get caught on the AT. Add that to the fact that he doesn't seem to be all that eccentric, nor a loner, and it makes some sense. Add this to the fact that he was caught by surprise when he was called into his company and asked about the theft...it's possible that he had limited access to the funds that were stolen (none of the articles I've read reference recovery of the money, or where it was hidden).

I don't disagree that you could come up with "more logical" places to hide, but I don't really think the AT is *that* insane of a choice, especially if it allows you to do something you are comfortable with and enjoy.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mak1277 View Post
    I think that same arrogance could easily surface when it comes to hiding from the authorities. I'm sure he thought he wouldn't get caught on the AT. Add that to the fact that he doesn't seem to be all that eccentric, nor a loner, and it makes some sense..
    You are probably correct... Takes a certain personality to really reinvent yourself.... And did not seem this gentleman really kept a low profile. Going to hiker gatherings, being on lots of journals..as the article described him, he was becoming a "trail personality" know to the larger community as a whole.
    Last edited by Mags; 07-07-2015 at 13:43.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Kudos to the authorities. Those are serious crimes he's accused of involving a substantial sum of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Kudos to the authorities. Those are serious crimes he's accused of involving a substantial sum of money.
    Kudos to CNBC...and the hiker who recognized him. I don't think the "authorities" would have found him on their own.

With the vast resources of the FBI, a urge to bring him to justice, and continuing the way he was living they would have nabbed him.....eventually. We can not reliably and knowledgably comment on things further based on incomplete info being washed through media outlets. Stiil, the hiking community in the U.S. in general is, from all that I can tell, not a felonious group.

If you read all the news articles they kind of lead you to believe that he might be guilty of murder also. Anxious to see how this case evolves!

Sentencing postponed. He could get 20 years but...

http://www.kentucky.com/news/local/c...e65157352.html

Default Feds seek 7-year term for Appalachian Trail-hiking fugitive - Washington Times

WTVQ

Feds seek 7-year term for Appalachian Trail-hiking fugitive
    Washington Times
    CINCINNATI (AP) - Federal prosecutors want a prison term of more than seven years for an embezzling accountant from Kentucky who spent much of his six years as a fugitive hiking the Appalachian Trail. James Hammes (HAM'-uhs) pleaded guilty last year ...
    APNewsbreak: Feds seek 7-year term for Trail-hiking fugitiveClay Center Dispatch

all 3 news articles »

More...

Default Feds seek 7-year term for Appalachian Trail-hiking fugitive - Akron Beacon Journal

WTVQ

Feds seek 7-year term for Appalachian Trail-hiking fugitive
    Akron Beacon Journal
    CINCINNATI: Federal prosecutors want a prison term of more than seven years for an embezzling accountant from Kentucky who spent much of his six years as a fugitive hiking the Appalachian Trail. James Hammes pleaded guilty last year to wire fraud and ...
    APNewsbreak: Feds seek 7-year term for Trail-hiking fugitiveClay Center Dispatch

all 3 news articles »

More...

Default Feds Seek 7-Year Term for Appalachian Trail-Hiking Fugitive - ABC News

Feds Seek 7-Year Term for Appalachian Trail-Hiking Fugitive
    ABC News
    Federal prosecutors said Wednesday they want a prison term of more than seven years for an embezzling accountant from Kentucky who spent six years as a fugitive, much of it hiking the Appalachian Trail. James T. Hammes will be sentenced June 22 after ...

and more »

More...

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I hope he gets out early, being a nice guy and all. }:-)

Just Curious...was it Baltimore Jack who ID 'd Bismarck as fugutive James Hammes?

Thinking back, both Tarlin and Hammes were semi-permanent hikers season after season. Jack was a very bright guy, and coming across somebody with similar lifestyles would have maybe seen some red flags that this guy was not a typical hiker in any way.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adriana View Post
    Just Curious...was it Baltimore Jack who ID 'd Bismarck as fugutive James Hammes?

Thinking back, both Tarlin and Hammes were semi-permanent hikers season after season. Jack was a very bright guy, and coming across somebody with similar lifestyles would have maybe seen some red flags that this guy was not a typical hiker in any way.
    Probably not, as a number of news outlest reported that the hiker that alerted authorities was from Mississippi.

Here's a supposed interview with the hiker -- http://appalachiantrials.com/exclusi...ismark-hammes/
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Default Attorneys call Appalachian Trail fugitive's redemption road - mySanAntonio.com

mySanAntonio.com

Attorneys call Appalachian Trail fugitive's redemption road
    mySanAntonio.com
    Federal prosecutors said Wednesday, June 1, 2016, that they want a prison term of more than seven years for Hammes, who spent six years as a fugitive, much of it hiking the Appalachian Trail. (Butler County Jail via AP, File) less. FILE - This undated ...

More...

Default Lawyers: Appalachian Trail Was Client's 'Road to Redemption' - ABC News

Lawyers: Appalachian Trail Was Client's 'Road to Redemption'
    ABC News
    Attorneys for a Kentucky accountant who embezzled $8.7 million before going on the run say hiking the Appalachian Trail for six years as a fugitive put him on "the road to redemption." A sentencing memorandum filed Friday by lawyers for James T. Hammes ...

More...

Default Attorneys call Appalachian Trail fugitive's redemption road - WHIO

Attorneys call Appalachian Trail fugitive's redemption road
    WHIO
    Defense attorneys say hiking the Appalachian Trial for six years as a fugitive put an embezzling Kentucky accountant on "the road to redemption." A sentencing memorandum filed Friday by federal public defenders for James T. Hammes (HAM'uhs) asks for a ...

and more »

More...

Quote Originally Posted by CamelMan View Post
    I hope he gets out early, being a nice guy and all. }:-)
    i do not share your sentiment at all. He was in a position of power and athourity and made his choice...just like and no better than Bernie made off with the money, leaving some destitute.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++