WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    tideblazer
    Images

Default Printed WB articles to raise $$, widen readership base

I posted this in another thread that I think will get buried, so here it is again. what do ya'll think? I volunteer to help:

I like the idea of having more items for sale, but honestly a cup, hat, t-shirt, ect., with a website name on it is unappealing to me, and I suspect to others as well. I have way too many of those items already. To me, it's clutter and junk.

What I offer as an alternative is a hard-copy publication of the articles for purchase. They do not need to be anything fancy. If you have seen Yogi's PCT Handbook, then you know what I mean.

This market is much about functional information and downsizing than bric-and-brac. So why not cater to it, in physical printings? Who knows- there could even be a market for a cannon of articles in a book to be professionally published and marketed on other venues.

Imagine, a book with info directly from the people who are very experienced at hiking, making gear, cooking, ect. -Just a simple collection of articles, like a scientific journal. There could be different editions, each with new articles, like Foxfire books but about backpacking topics. Each would be prefaced from a word from the editor (s).

These would make great gifts to hikers of all speeds, a physcial document with the perspective of all the great voices here.

Face it, many people just don't like forums. Just ask Sgt. Rocks elder son: "I don't do forums!" he told me at the primitive skills workshop.

I don't blame him. But wouldn't it be great to hand him a volume of articles from the site, or put it in his Christmas stocking?

Furthermore, many people are scared off by the intensity of the discussions. They just want to learn about backpacking, not get in a heated debate about it. I don't blame them, and at the same time, i don't think we should sacrifice our perspectives to appeal to everyone.

So we could offer the cream off the top- the essential information, for topics ranging from wild edibles, LNT, town info, stove making, to ALDHA's endangered services campaign.

We do not have to be just net geeks. There is some AWESOME info here, which belongs in print, and which can be "donated" by the authors to help finance WB's needs for today and the future ahead.

IMAGINE the bandwidth needs if the newman/redford movie ever comes out!

Respectfully ya'lls,

TW
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Speaking ONLY for myself, while I that Wook has presented a strong case, I do not at present wish to have any of my information "for sale." I realize that folks can still get it for free by accessing the website, but right now I'd rather not be in the position of "selling" my stuff, even for a good cause. This might change in the future, if I ever get off my ass and write a book (which has been suggested) but right now there's something distasteful to me about asking people for money in exchange for information. Right now, I'd rather give it away for free.

Alternative idea: Rock and Troll can tell us what it costs to keep the site going, and once we get an actual figure, we can ALL start whittling it down with contributions. After all, if we could get Miss Janet a new furnace in little over a week, I'm sure we could pull things together for Whiteblaze.

tideblazer
    Images

Maybe we could print an article on a coffee mug. just kidding

I think the net articles should stay free also.
    Last edited by Tha Wookie; 11-13-2005 at 14:21.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Images

The idea has some merit, it is something to consider in the future. But for now Troll has worked out some re-structuring of our service to keep costs down. I really hope we can just continue to rely on the occasional contribution, sponsorship, and some T-Shirt sales to the interested to keep us rolling for the future.

But a WhiteBlaze book someday? Maybe. I think it could be a hoot.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Wookie
    ,,,,,We do not have to be just net geeks. There is some AWESOME info here, which belongs in print, and which can be "donated" by the authors to help finance WB's needs for today and the future ahead. IMAGINE the bandwidth needs if the newman/redford movie ever comes out!-->__________________
    Great idea! Feel free to use all my pleas for help towards buying buffers for the trail in Maine from the development that is coming.

Instead of getting into cost of printing and binding the articles, I would think a $2 a year per member for a Whiteblaze subscription would cover most costs for the website, if not all, without chasing many away.

Then anyone can print what they wish.

Images

Well we were thinking of a two tier system. Normal membership is free and stays the same as you have it. A higher level of membership would give you:

Edit button
    Custom Avatars (we would still reserve some rights)
    Higher PM totals
    Access to a members forum where you could bitch me out

And possibly some other things. So basically eveyone can still participate like you have been, but those WhiteBlaze addicts can get a few extra perks while helping to pay for that bandwidth they use by refreshing the front page ever minute to see if someone has posted something new.

Anyway, Troll came up with some of these cool ideas and we are still thinking on it. I didn't plan to bring it up, but since y'all are talking about this sort of thing, I thought I might throw it out there for y'all to give some input and thoughts.

Hope Troll doesn't get mad at me
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    Well we were thinking of a two tier system. Normal membership is free and stays the same as you have it. A higher level of membership would give you:

Edit button
    Custom Avatars (we would still reserve some rights)
    Higher PM totals
    Access to a members forum where you could bitch me out

And possibly some other things. So basically eveyone can still participate like you have been, but those WhiteBlaze addicts can get a few extra perks while helping to pay for that bandwidth they use by refreshing the front page ever minute to see if someone has posted something new.

Anyway, Troll came up with some of these cool ideas and we are still thinking on it. I didn't plan to bring it up, but since y'all are talking about this sort of thing, I thought I might throw it out there for y'all to give some input and thoughts.

Hope Troll doesn't get mad at me
    Excellent idea! Any timeline on introducing something like this?
    So be it.
    --John

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    but those WhiteBlaze addicts can get a few extra perks while helping to pay for that bandwidth they use by refreshing the front page ever minute to see if someone has posted something new.
    Ooops, running and ducking!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerjohnd
    Excellent idea! Any timeline on introducing something like this?
    Well technical issues have to be worked out first. Troll is working it diligently.

The other part is acceptance by the members. That is where we must tread lightly. I don't want to make someone "more important" because they pay. The idea is still that everyone is basically equal when it comes to sharing of ideas and such.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

hummm - how about making that dancing banana a "member only" option ???

ps - pun intended

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice
    hummm - how about making that dancing banana a "member only" option ???
    Well, a better option would be to eliminate such things entirely. That would be educational also. It's gotten so that if one doesn't put a funny face or a bouncing banana or a stereotyped grin on a post, hardly anyone will understand it.

People have manged the printed word for a millenium or two. We really shouldn't retrograde to cartoons for understanding.

Images

Yes, but the Internet allows for a more conversational style than simple letter writing. The "smiley" is an adaptation that is now over a decade old that allows the writer to pass on the non-verbal communication that facial features would pass on if the participants were communicating in person.

Example: A couple of years ago there was a question about keeping floaters out of the water when you are filling a nalgen bottle. In a post meant to be sort of humorous I said to let them get in your water, it was like free calories. I got a bunch of e-mails and PMs deriding me for giving such bad advice - you know, presence of biological materials and all the inherent problems and such.

Now if I had said that with a wink ( ) people would have got it.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries
    Images

Smilies are for cowards.

Journal Entries
    Images

What I meant to say was

Smilies are for cowards .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie
    What I meant to say was

Smilies are for cowards .

LOL. Now are we being Passive-Aggressive today?
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries
    Images

Rock, you know that term was coined by the military right?

Journal Entries
    Images

Here is a link to a good site that explains it all

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/030530.html

Images

No I didn't know that. What is your source?

Sounds like something an officer would dream up after an NCO says: "Sir, no disrespect intended, but..."
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Disregard. I see your citation. Very cool. Next time my CO tells me I'm being passive-aggressive I'll just tell him I am really just and *******.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++