WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Camping near Black Brook Road

I'm planning to do my first section hike soon with my dog to try out my new backpacking gear. The section I chose is East B Hill Road in Andover to Rt 17. I think I can do this in two days but I'm looking for camping somewhere in the middle, between Hall mt lean to and Bemis mt lean to, to split the milage up more evenly. Does anyone have any experience camping in this area? I should be able to find a suitable place for a tent but and advise is appreciated, thanks!

Journal Entries

I haven't hiked there yet (later this year) but my trail guide indicates a campsite at the South Arm Road crossing. That's looks like a good halfway point. Or you could do like us and slack pack. 10.1 miles on day 1, 13.2 miles on day 2. I've been warned that the climb up from S Arm to Old Blue will "get your attention." But you're from Maine, so maybe you already know this.

Yeah, Western Maine can be pretty hairy in quite a few plays. I've never been on this portion of the trail but I've read they tried to reroute the trail coming north out of Sawyer Notch but couldn't due to funds. I'm sure it must suck if you've just hiked 1500+ miles but I like the steep technical stuff. I think the mountaintop just north of South Arm road would be ideal but I won't know until I get there.

++ New Posts ++