WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Default Where's Everyone At??

Haven't been on WB in a long time!! Headed to Trail Days from Hot Springs. Started from Amicalola on April 2. Where is everyone else at in their hike and when did you start? Hope everyone is doing well and having a GREAT hike!!
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

They are right behind the "At."

It is bad grammar to end a sentence with a preposition. A preposition requires an object. I find it hard to believe that schools today are not teaching grammar.

Started April 19 th from under the arc at amacolola. Right now I'm in Hampton, nc restocking. Skipping trail days, will drive there next year and do a Lil trail magic on the way.

Ah, the preposition myth. Not true.

Quote Originally Posted by theoilman View Post

It is bad grammar to end a sentence with a preposition. A preposition requires an object. I find it hard to believe that schools today are not teaching grammar.
    I love it. An armchair hiker criticizing someone that is actually out on the trail hiking.

Images

get a life oilman dont you have better things to do then try to correct other people

The sentence did not end with a preposition.

No one's answering the OP's question -- seems like everyone is more interested in talking about prepositions, which tells me that no one is on the AT or everyone is an English grammar enthusiast visiting a website for Appalachian Trail enthusiasts

BTW, I'm in DC now for family matters, hopefully I get some time on the AT, probably around SNP, but will update later as my sked firms up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    No one's answering the OP's question -- seems like everyone is more interested in talking about prepositions, which tells me that no one is on the AT or everyone is an English grammar enthusiast visiting a website for Appalachian Trail enthusiasts

BTW, I'm in DC now for family matters, hopefully I get some time on the AT, probably around SNP, but will update later as my sked firms up.

I'm tracking a friend via an Delorme inReach who's currently just North of Waynesboro atop Trayfoot Mountain.

Left second week in March.

Good question, but I guess they are all too busying doing real hiking to do any any cyberhiking on WB. Wish the OP well on the rest of her thru-hike. Go slow and I might catch up with you in last half of VA at the end of June.

FWIW, I think grammar is way overrated.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Good question, but I guess they are all too busying doing real hiking to do any any cyberhiking on WB. Wish the OP well on the rest of her thru-hike. Go slow and I might catch up with you in last half of VA at the end of June.

FWIW, I think grammar is way overrated.
    I think I know what yer gettin' at.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey, aren't you HighLighter? We met in one of the Smokies Shelters and talked about Aleave (spell). Good luck to you and your journey. I wish I was out there.
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

I picked my little brother up at Swift Run Gap Friday for a weekend of canoeing on the Shenandoah. He was dropped back off at Swift Run Gap yesterday. He said the large bubble is still a bit south but he is having an awesome hike. He started March 6.

A preposition is not a very good word to end a sentence with. PERIOD. And the original poster is 57 years old, so apparently they haven't been teaching this for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by No Directions View Post
    I love it. An armchair hiker criticizing someone that is actually out on the trail hiking.
    +1!!! This place is full of useful info about BACKPACKING....if I were looking for an English lesson i would go elsewhere, how about you take your grammar lessons elsewhere theoilman. Oh, and by the way, shouldn't it be "the oil man" in order to be correct grammar?

I started March 26 and am currently 30 miles south of Pearisburg, seems like about a middle of the road pace for those who started out my time. I'm having a fantastic time, so many great experiences that outweigh the challenges by a long shot. The trail life is for me, you know you're meant to be a long distance hiker when you're walking through VA thinking about prep for the PCT! I did my first 26 mile day yesterday, not my usual pace but i did a great job timing my warm weather gear mail drop in a way that has me scrambling to Pearisburg to avoid being shut out for two days by the holiday weekend...oops! Well it felt great to do those miles and not feel bad in the morning, and now I can take it easy again with 30 to go over two days to catch the Saturday morning hours. Today's a good day for that as I woke to the sound of rain and made it a slow morning, gonna get wet eventually because radar shows a huge freakin cloud over VA that I'm not gonna wait out all of, but for now I'm warm dry and cozy. Going to hit Trent's grocery for some civilized food in a few miles, I hear it's a good place!

Quote Originally Posted by No Directions View Post
    What qualifies someone as an "armchair hiker?" Someone who has done a thru hike? Someone who hikes regularly week long sections a year? Someone who goes for weekend hikes? I do and have done all of these.

Quote Originally Posted by theoilman View Post

QUICK COMMENT: I am NOT criticizing anyone! This is just a response to theoilman! (I married a guy whose grammar is, well, let's say - it is not very good; however, out of respect for him and his other wonderful attributes, I would never correct him. I do, however, correct my children.)

We are teaching it, but they are not necessarily using it. Just ask anyone, "how are you doing," and the majority will answer "good" instead of "well." (I am always happy to hear they aren't being naughty...lol!)

Another frequent question: "Can" I go to the bathroom? (I don't know - can you?).... Can = ability; May = request for permission.
    Last edited by shelb; 05-22-2015 at 00:34.

Journal Entries

My family and I would like to do some trail magic mixed with 4-5 days of hiking, somewhere between Kent, Conn. and Hanover, NH. How far is the northernmost NOBO? Is it "twisted" or "J" somewhere in New York? Or has someone already reached Connecticut?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++