WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Default Do you use separate clothes for sleeping?

I thru-hiked the AT in 2010, but I didn't really use separate clothes for sleeping. Some say it's better because it's less sweaty.

The other issue is you cook while in your day clothes, then you should supposedly BEAR-BAG your clothes and sleep in other clothes.
    Seriously, do people actually do this??

And my other question is, if I were to hike the PCT or CDT, should I start doing this? It seems like extra weight and bother.
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Images

I used seperate sleepware to keep my down sleeping bag a little cleaner longer.

More qualified people will answer. My answer is no.... except for my socks and a beanie. I have one pair of socks I dedicate just for sleeping. I have a beanie for my head that technically is a multiuse item that could be used on the trail. Haven't used it hiking yet.

Seems to me that if you freezer bag cook, then the food smell should not be an issue. I assume you are concerned with odor laden steam being broadcast into your clothing while cooking in a pot.If so, that is one more vote for FBC.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries

If i slept in separate clothes, mine would always be damp. They only dry by sleeping. If im really wet, i will wear baselayer, most time i leave the same clothes on for weeks.

Scouts do the separate sleeping clothing thing in bear areas. Ive seen some hikers change in camp, just to be more comfortable, not for bear avoidance.

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I used a sleeping bag liner all the time. I would just wash it whenever I was in town doing laundry. My down sleeping bag stayed clean for the whole hike, and I never had to have it cleaned.
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DrRichardCranium View Post
    The other issue is you cook while in your day clothes, then you should supposedly BEAR-BAG your clothes and sleep in other clothes.
    Seriously, do people actually do this??

Statistically speaking, on average how many people have been dragged out of their tents by bears in the USA each year? Zero? One? I'll take my chances.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Statistically speaking, on average how many people have been dragged out of their tents by bears in the USA each year? Zero? One? I'll take my chances.
    Philmont handles 25-30,000 scouts per summer, camping in same places frequently. This HAS happened there.

With enough numbers, eventually anything will happen to someone.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Philmont handles 25-30,000 scouts per summer, camping in same places frequently. This HAS happened there.

I never camped at Philmont, but they really do work within a set of parameters that most backcountry sites do not have to deal with. If I ever get the chance to go there then I will be their guest and follow their rules. (I am an Eagle Scout and my son is 6 months old, I really do hope to make it to Philmont one day.)

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

In fairness, my first post comes off a little more cockey then I meant for it to sound. I was really poking fun at the "bearbag your clothes" remark in the opening post, not bear safety in general.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRichardCranium View Post
    I used a sleeping bag liner all the time. I would just wash it whenever I was in town doing laundry. My down sleeping bag stayed clean for the whole hike, and I never had to have it cleaned.
    I like this idea. a lot. I've been carrying an extra shirt and a pair of shorts to try to keep my sleeping stuff a bit cleaner. but this makes a lot more sense from that point of view.

sometimes it's the obvious things....

In fairness, my first post comes off a little more cockey then I meant for it to sound. I was really poking fun at the "bearbag your clothes" remark in the opening post, not bear safety in general.
    How dare you. That is my job. You are an amateur. The information you provided was useful. I actually was concerned about my sleeping habits until you injected logic.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Am I the only hiker who likes putting on some dry clothes at the end of the day?

I usually carry a light long sleeve wool top and either 150-wt wool long john bottoms, or boxer briefs depending on the season. I hang up my wet hiking shorts and s/s top, and put on dry clothes.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I've always taken a spare set of clothes to sleep in since I sweat like a pig and my hiking clothes are always damp/wet. I've never bear bagged clothes...any spares go into my stuff sack for a pillow.

A bear tore open a hiker's tent at the Garfield Campsite in Franconia last season. The hiker in said tent didn't bag his food, deciding to sleep with it next to him instead. Luckily he wasn't mauled, but the tent was lost. Said bear also bluff-charged several people who were trying to scare him away. He then proceeded to push and throw the bear box around in anger, attempting to get what was inside, stamping and growling.

This stuff happens because the campsites are crowded and people don't follow the rules, thinking that it can't happen to them. Then their carelessness is visited upon us all by bears that have lost their natural fear of human beings. I - however - remain very afraid of my fellow man.

When you reach the Whites, you will need to be very concerned about aggressive bears. Don't take chances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Warm weather - sleep nude and use liner.

Cold weather - silk thermals, no liner.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by magneto View Post
    A bear tore open a hiker's tent at the Garfield Campsite in Franconia last season. The hiker in said tent didn't bag his food, deciding to sleep with it next to him instead. Luckily he wasn't mauled, but the tent was lost. Said bear also bluff-charged several people who were trying to scare him away. He then proceeded to push and throw the bear box around in anger, attempting to get what was inside, stamping and growling.

This stuff happens because the campsites are crowded and people don't follow the rules, thinking that it can't happen to them. Then their carelessness is visited upon us all by bears that have lost their natural fear of human beings. I - however - remain very afraid of my fellow man.

When you reach the Whites, you will need to be very concerned about aggressive bears. Don't take chances.

I hope that you saw my follow-up comment below as well
    As to your Garfield campsite example, I fully agree that choosing not to use a provided bear box is just dumb, if a local maintaining club puts forth the effort to lug a steel box up the side of a mountain for the sake of food storage, that alone is a clear sign to me that there is likely heavy bear activity in the area and it's well worth the extra 10 seconds it takes to secure my food into it.

No worries - the AMC added the bear boxes to all of their sites because things are so out of control. The camping practices at these sites are truly frighting. People haul all sorts of aromatic foods into the campsites and cook them right on the tent platforms. Then when you arrive, the caretaker assigns you a space right next to them. There is no use in trying to educate - so you just hope for the best.

I don't know why people carry heavy loads way up into the mountains to cook such feasts. I saw one group at Guyot break out huge bags of marinated chicken and pasta - complete with bottles of wine. When I left the next morning, their stuff and the leftover food was simply left out. Decidedly not LNT.

Hike your own hike, of course. However, it seems to me that If you want to have a barbecue - it would be more enjoyable to do it at home before (to prepare) or after (to celebrate) your conquest of the hills. Is hauling pounds upon pounds of expensive animal proteins and alcohol (in heavy glass bottles) up to 4000 feet to cook on camp stoves really necessary to experience the "wilderness?" I have since taken up the challenge of legally stealth-camping in the Whites whenever I can.

Also - there are excellent places to car-camp in Whites. You can then make sorties to the peaks during the day, carrying just a day pack and then return to base camp in the evening for a huge party, complete with electric generators and large-screen TVs.

Images

Clothes? Why sleep in clothes? (Presuming three season hiking). A bag liner can be useful to keep things clean.

I have separate warmer clothes for sleeping in. I also use these clothes in camp. I hike in lightweight clothes, 3/4 of the time shorts vs. pants and then short or long sleeve depending on the season. Keeping your hiking clothes dry coming into camp is not always possible. Plus what I hike in is not warm enough to hang around camp in anyway.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++