WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

6'0" 205 lb side sleeper. I was in the same boat looking for a wide but not long pad. It's annoying that most wide pads are also long. I was using the neoair trekker wide torso. Worked ok but wanted something a little longer but not 6.5 ft. I ended up getting a klymit static v. I used it last night in the back yard. It was super comfy but I don't think it would be real warm. For me that's a non issue as I'm only able to go out in the summer for the forsee able future. If weight is an issue then consider that the long wide neoair xlite gives much more pad and insulation for the same weight. It, the static v and trekker all come in at about 16 oz. I like the static v because it is easy to blow up and low price. Also had less problem rolling off. I didn't have to under inflate to stay on.

Pillow is a problem for side sleepers. I am using an inflatable despite the sleeping on a balloon feeling. I made a stretchy fleece pillow case which helps. The pillow is actually a disposable hospital pillow. Less than 1 dollar from medical supply companies.

Journal Entries

Check out the Nemo Cosmo Insulated 30"XL w/ footpump. Not light or cheap, but it might be your solution.

I've got a 20R for sale, brand new (warranty replacement).

Here's a link to their site for the other models, like the 30XL, which is probably more what you're looking for. (http://www.nemoequipment.com/shop/pa...uction=air_pad),

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    6'0" 205 lb side sleeper. I was in the same boat looking for a wide but not long pad. It's annoying that most wide pads are also long. I was using the neoair trekker wide torso. Worked ok but wanted something a little longer but not 6.5 ft. I ended up getting a klymit static v. I used it last night in the back yard. It was super comfy but I don't think it would be real warm. For me that's a non issue as I'm only able to go out in the summer for the forsee able future. If weight is an issue then consider that the long wide neoair xlite gives much more pad and insulation for the same weight. It, the static v and trekker all come in at about 16 oz. I like the static v because it is easy to blow up and low price. Also had less problem rolling off. I didn't have to under inflate to stay on.

Pillow is a problem for side sleepers. I am using an inflatable despite the sleeping on a balloon feeling. I made a stretchy fleece pillow case which helps. The pillow is actually a disposable hospital pillow. Less than 1 dollar from medical supply companies.
    Look at the Big Agnes pads. IIRC they have Wide, Long and Wide and Long.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Over inflation syndrome. Same applies to air mattresses. If you saw my Exped pillow & Xtherm pad lying in a tent you would think that they both had sprung leaks. Once I am on them and change the volume and the effective air pressure, they are just fine. Enough air to keep my bottom off the ground and my head and neck at the proper height for my comfort and BAM! Lights out. Sound asleep.

Wayne
    He may be talking about how unless your pillow has multiple completely separate vertical air chambers, as soon as you turn your head to the left or right (thus shifting the weight on the pillow), the air will naturally shift to the opposite side...making it feel like you have to do a balancing act (perhaps on a balloon That's one of the reasons why I hate almost all air pillows (and yes, even my large Exped).

I'm a fan of the Klymix Pillow X however. The shape of the air chambers makes your head stick to the middle of the pillows "X".. It's personally too low for me as a side sleeper, but I just jam something underneath it and I'm comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    Look at the Big Agnes pads. IIRC they have Wide, Long and Wide and Long.
    The BA Green Ridge would seem to be similar to the Static V. All the other BA pads are too heavy. The green ridge is less than a pound for the wide sizes that come in 5 ft, 6 ft, and 6.5 ft lengths. Also very affodable. They also seem to have an integrated pillow with an X baffle. But it's a summer weight pad. Have not seen reviews. BA has a nice Web page for looking up specs.

Once you start adding insulation to the Klymit pads they bulk up fast. Side by side when I'm looking at both brands, I prefer the Klymit for uninsulated weight and bulk but the BA for insulated air pads.

Also, never found anything that sleeps as well as the BA pads with the shape of the Qcore and Double Z pads. Super comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    Once you start adding insulation to the Klymit pads they bulk up fast. Side by side when I'm looking at both brands, I prefer the Klymit for uninsulated weight and bulk but the BA for insulated air pads.

Also, never found anything that sleeps as well as the BA pads with the shape of the Qcore and Double Z pads. Super comfy.
    The solution for me was the Klymit Insulated Static V Lite. 72"x23"x2.5" with an R-Value of 4.4. The pad with included stuff sack and 2x repair patches weighs 19.81 ounces. I couldn't stand how the BA Double Z pad felt to sleep on and returned it. Now I have two Static's (uninsulated is 17.44oz) and they're the most comfortable pad I've ever used (and I buy nearly every new type to try out).

6'1" 260# active sleeper, I went with the Thermarest XTherm for a 3 season one pad solution. I have the large that's 25" wide, I forget how long. I believe is around 20oz and I got it for under $200 at Hermits Hut if I recall correctly. its not the lightest, its not the cheapest but its very comfortable once you get the air pressure dialed in. It's got the best warmth to weight ratio going I believe. when its hot I flip it over so its not reflecting heat back on me and when it gets cold this thing is cozy. I just slept on it with a quilt for the first time last night and it was a lot more comfortable against my skin that I thought it would be. It rolls up to the size of a Nalgene and made in the USA. I'm going to start another thread on pillows since I'm in the market for one to complete my sleep system.
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even know to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    The solution for me was the Klymit Insulated Static V Lite. 72"x23"x2.5" with an R-Value of 4.4. The pad with included stuff sack and 2x repair patches weighs 19.81 ounces. I couldn't stand how the BA Double Z pad felt to sleep on and returned it. Now I have two Static's (uninsulated is 17.44oz) and they're the most comfortable pad I've ever used (and I buy nearly every new type to try out).
    Haha! I'm looking at this one right now as well as the insulated Static V Luxe--thinking that I might spend a bit of the weight savings I've accrued by buying a gigantic comfy pad.

Insulated Static V Luxe ftw!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++