WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Snow Peak Trek 700 Titanium??

Has anyone used the Snow Peak Titanium Trek 700 mug/pot before? Is it any good?

It's a 700mL titanium pot, here's the REI link. Weight is listed as 4.8oz (=137g), but I assume that includes the lid and mesh sack. I'm thinking about getting it for a thru-hike (AT SOBO), do you all think it would work well for that? I looked for an aluminum version (to save some dollars, trying to keep the budget monster under control ) but they only make it in titanium.

A few questions:
    1. Is Snow Peak a reputable brand? It seems to me that the general advice is to avoid titanium products at all costs unless you know for sure that the manufacturer makes a quality product.
    2. Is 700mL sufficiently sized for a young adult male on a thru-hike on the AT? I just need it for food; I don't do coffee.
    3. Is the weight (4.8oz/137g) and price ($45) reasonable for the product?
    4. If it isn't a good for any of the above reasons, what are some alternatives that would alleviate those concerns?

Thanks!
    Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very far.
    - Thomas Jefferson

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Reputable product. If you like the features, buy it. I personally use MAR Titan kettle. I like that I can fit my Lite Max stove and MSR canisters inside this pot.

BTW, the Titan Kettle is .85 liters to the .7 liters of the one you're looking at. Mine is usually large enough but you should also review the 900.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 05-12-2015 at 19:29.

I use the SP 600ml Ti mug, but I don't think it makes much difference. Yes, SP is a reputable company from Japan and makes good products. 600-700m is enough for one person interested mainly in boiling water, which is the case for most thru-hikers (is for me, at least). I really like that the SP Lite Max stove fits in the bottom and a 100ml canister fits inverted in the top of the mug, with the whole thing fitting in the small net bag the mug comes in. For a hiker kitchen it is light, compact, and decently priced.

Assuming you are not aiming to be a backcountry gourmet, then like HooKoo said, if you like the features then buy it.
    "Healthy, Free, The World Before Me, The Long Brown Path Before Me Leading Wherever I Choose." - Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

Question

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Reputable product. If you like the features, buy it. I personally use MAR Titan kettle. I like that I can fit my Lite Max stove and MSR canisters inside this pot.

BTW, the Titan Kettle is .85 liters to the .7 liters of the one you're looking at. Mine is usually large enough but you should also review the 900.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noseeum View Post
    I use the SP 600ml Ti mug, but I don't think it makes much difference. Yes, SP is a reputable company from Japan and makes good products. 600-700m is enough for one person interested mainly in boiling water, which is the case for most thru-hikers (is for me, at least). I really like that the SP Lite Max stove fits in the bottom and a 100ml canister fits inverted in the top of the mug, with the whole thing fitting in the small net bag the mug comes in. For a hiker kitchen it is light, compact, and decently priced.

Assuming you are not aiming to be a backcountry gourmet, then like HooKoo said, if you like the features then buy it.
    I'd like to be able to cook rice, beans, couscous, etc. in it, do you think it's big enough for that? I don't need anything fancy (no need for a frying pan, I'll be sticking with soups and stews and such) but I'd like to be able to fit a full meal in it
    - Thomas Jefferson

Snow Peak makes great stuff but, if you are planning on cooking in it I would get something bigger, line the 900. One thing that sucks about Snow Peak are their stuff sacks (droopy mesh). I replaced with cuben fiber sack from ZPacks.

Journal Entries
    Images

I use it to boil water for FBC and tea.It’s plenty big enough.The volume markings on the inside are handy.I didn’t like the handle on the lid so I bent it down flat.I store my cat food stove, vapor barrier, wind screen, lighter and bandanna inside.I store the pot and lid inside a reflectix cozy, held closed by gum bands, I don’t use the mesh sack.

76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I looked at the 900 and the pot itself (3.7oz) is actually lighter than the 700 with the lid (4.5oz)! But where would I be able to get a lid (like the one with the 700) that fits the 900? The 900 comes with a frying pan as the standard lid, and that's 2oz I don't need to carry...
    - Thomas Jefferson

Snow Peak makes extremely high quality stuff. I don't know about the Trek 700 but I have the Titanium Cook and Save and love it. I'm able to fit my Snow Peak Lite Max Titanium, Snow Speak Titanium Spoon, Bic Lighter, Terry Cloth towel and small bottle of Doctor Bronnermans soap inside the pot. It's the perfect size for cooking rice and pasta dishes. I live off of the boxed Annies mac and cheese on the trial and its the prefect size for boiling the pasta and mixing in some tuna.

Ooh! I was reading the reviews on the Trek 700 at REI, and I learned 2 things:

1. Most reviewers think it's just the perfect size for cooking basic meals (so I guess it works for me).
    2. The Snow Peak lid is made from stainless steel (heavy!), but JetBoil replacement lids fit on it! (That should drop the weight a lot!)

I think I'm going with the Trek 700! I'll see if they have any in stock at my local REI, and then I can check it out in person, so I can see how big it really is... and hopefully compare it to a jetboil to see which lid it is that fits
    - Thomas Jefferson

Something to keep in mind about Titanium, it's very "sticky." Food will stick and burn on very easily as it's not a non stick surface. I've found that a little bit of olive oil helps a lot to prevent food from sticking, especially if your boiling/simmering rice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

It's been suggested the 700 might be too small and you don't like the 900 because of the lid.
    So try the MSR Titan kettle like I suggested. It's size only a little bit less than the 900 yet the specs show it is lighter than the 700. Backcountry.com has it on sale for $45.

Evernew is a similar brand, with just as high quality (in my opinion). I have the titanium soloist cook set and it works so very well for me. It is easy to cook with and versatile. The lid has no holes, so a faster boiling time And unlike some of the snow peak stuff you get rubberized grips, a small detail but nice to have without any real weight variance. I can even house a small fuel canister and my stove inside to save space inside my pack. Everyone's camp cooking style is different but I hope you find what works for you.

I have the SP Ti pots in both 900 and 1300 (1.3l) and love them. Even the fry pan lid had it's uses. The 900 is the perfect size for solo, and the 1300 for two, IMHO. Sometimes I do FBC cooking and sometimes I actually cook in my pot (low heat and frequent stirring to reduce burnt food). A 700ml pot wouldn't give me enough room to cook without excess spillage when stirring the pot.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Images

You can also get an aftermarket lid for the Snow Peak 900 from Minibull Design -- https://www.minibulldesign.com/produ...&idcategory=10

Personally if wanting to do more than just boiling water, and actually cook, I would go with the 900ml over the 700ml pot. It is nice to have that extra capacity so that you do not spill food over the rim while stiring and room for cooking and rehydrating expansion of the food.
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 05-13-2015 at 07:07.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Default Sp Trek 700

I love my 700, Perfect solo cookset for me. Go with an aftermarket lid from four dogs. I have the 900 as well and prefer the 700.

Quote Originally Posted by RYE_TYLER View Post
    I love my 700, Perfect solo cookset for me. Go with an aftermarket lid from four dogs. I have the 900 as well and prefer the 700.
    Do you cook food in the 700, or just boil water? Lid with or without holes?

Thanks!
    - Thomas Jefferson

Majority of the time I boil water, I do cook in it upon occasion. Lid without holes, for me personally. Four dogs also makes a Ti lid for the SP 900, if you're more inclined that direction. If you can get to REI, play with them see what you like better. YOU are the one who has to live with it no matter what anyone on the forums says...

Quote Originally Posted by RYE_TYLER View Post
    Majority of the time I boil water, I do cook in it upon occasion. Lid without holes, for me personally. Four dogs also makes a Ti lid for the SP 900, if you're more inclined that direction. If you can get to REI, play with them see what you like better. YOU are the one who has to live with it no matter what anyone on the forums says...
    Thanks! Good advice, I definitely need to get out to REI sometime. Quick question, do you happen to know the weight of each lid? I've heard that a JetBoil lid also fits the 700 (you can buy a replacement lid for like $5), and since it's made of some kind of polypropylene (plastic) it might be lighter than titanium.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++