WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Resupply in Neel Gap?

The 2014 Data Book shows that there are groceries right on the trail at Neel Gap. That seems awfully convenient: Start at Amicola, pack for only a few days, get your legs under you with a light pack weight, then add major food supplies at NeelGap......move on for 100 miles.
    However, I'm not seeing mention of this idea on any thread, rather, I'm seeing mail drops suggested at Neel Gap. Can anyone share their experience or knowledge about supplies available on the trail at Neel Gap? Thanks in advance.

And because, we could all use more dancing bananas in life, here's one:

They have plenty of hiker food. Neel Gap is also Mountain Crossing.

Holy smokes. That was a hot tip! Just saw their website. Thank you!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

When I hike that section I send a mail drop. A few times I've went through there the food had been picked over and the selection wasn't that good.

Journal Entries

If done during the NoBo bubble you may not need much food due to trail magic. I suspect of one can pull 20 mile days they would not need to carry any food. I was sort of getting PO'ed that I was carring so much unnecessary food weight because everyone and their brother desired to cook for me and feed me.

Starchild, if you would like to send that karma back out, I should be hiking in mid to late July through early August. I like spicy food.......and Makers Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I was sort of getting PO'ed that I was carring so much unnecessary food weight because everyone and their brother desired to cook for me and feed me.
    I laughed out loud. Not with you.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blazercoach View Post
    Starchild, if you would like to send that karma back out, I should be hiking in mid to late July through early August. I like spicy food.......and Makers Mark
    Good taste there, I'm sure you will be smiled upon.

Images

In the unlikely event that the outfitter is out of hiker food, you can Yogi a ride to the Walmart down in Dahlonega.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I have not thru'ed but I would mail drop at Neel, Top of GA H, Franklin and NOC.
    Or push to NOC an skip Franklin.
    After that, wing it.

The resupply at Neel Gap/Mountain Crossings has come a long way in two years. The new owners have really added lot of selection and variety since the first time I went in there when Winton Porter still owned the place. Plenty of rice sides, freeze dried meals, peanut butter, snacks, etc etc etc. Of course you can still send a box there if you need, but I wouldn't. Besides, I had tons of food left over getting from Springer (appetite actually DECREASED for the first few days. If you're moving beyond that, it may be better to send a box to Top of Georgia hostel instead, or just skip it, resupply at Neel Gap and then again at Hiawasee.
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Thanks for the info, folks! I'm thinking that if I resupply at Mountain Crossing, I'll cover the next 100 miles to Wesser, NC. A resupply there should get me to Fontana an conclude my first foray on the AT! Please let me know if that's a bad plan.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blazercoach View Post
    Thanks for the info, folks! I'm thinking that if I resupply at Mountain Crossing, I'll cover the next 100 miles to Wesser, NC. A resupply there should get me to Fontana an conclude my first foray on the AT! Please let me know if that's a bad plan.
    I would suggest Hiawassee and Franklin as well as resupply points. It's easy to get into both towns from the trail heads. If you don't want to go into Hiawassee you can at least resupply at Top of Georgia Hostel near Dick's Creek Gap. You can either send yourself a mail drop or take your chances on what they have in stock.

Even if you are doing 20 miles a day, 5 days of food is alot of weight.
    Last edited by SteelCut; 05-13-2015 at 15:02.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Neels Gap ( Mountain crossing ) has plenty of hiker food selection but is expensive the only mail drops i would have is just a few.

1 Neels Gap. ( too expensive to buy here )
    2 Aquaone Hostel.
    3 Fontana Dam.
    4 standing bear farm hostel.
    5 Monson ME ( thew hardest resupply on the trail for me ).

every place else i would buy, in my oppinion it's easier to buy.

I was through there at the end of March and the selection was fine though prices were on the high side as typical with stops isolate from other options. I actually found the Fontana General store quite abundant and relatively affordable, like a dollar general approximately. NOC was really picked through and would have been small on a full day, that has been by far my worst stop.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    5 days of food is alot of weight.
    I'm curious about this. I don't have any basis to doubt you, but I thought 10 days was a normal amount of food to take on the trail. Have I over-estimated it that drastically?

Images

You encounter resupply points every 2 to 5 days on the AT. The average weight of food is 1.5-2 lbs per day. If you have 10 days of food you are carrying 15 to 20 pounds of food and you are carrying food past easy places to buy food. I prefer carry 2 to 3 days of food and only 5 days when absolutely necessary. Unless you are extremely slow there is no reason to carry 10 days or unless you are really trying to not go into towns, etc.

You might want to check out some suggested plans from AWOL's site: http://theatguide.com/PlanNobo2010-15.html There are a few places that at a 15 mpd day pace that 5 days of food is required but most sections in his suggested plan have easy resupply points that allow you to generally carry 2-3 days of food.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

That's a handy guide! Thank you! I'm curious about those stops in Franklin and Hiawassee, however. The guidebook I have says that groceries are about 10 miles off the trail. Am I being too idealist to prefer only resupplying when it's available right on the trail.....or going 10 miles off maybe only every 3 weeks or so? I'd hate to rely on hitching a ride, have that not work out, and burn at least a full day resupplying. Is that too naive/idealist?

Images

Ron Haven owns hotels (Budget Inn) in both Hiawassee and Franklin and those hotels provides shuttles from the trailheads to his hotels if you are staying in his hotels. If you are not staying in any of his hotels, hitch hiking is easy from both Dick's Creek Gap and Winding Stairs Gap into Hiawassee and Franklin respectively. You will not burn an entire day hitching/resupplying in either location. These are standard resupply points for most longer distance hikers.

Here is the link to more info about the services that Ron Haven and his hotels provide:

http://ronhavenhikerservices.com/

Also, check out the Top of Georgia Hostel which is 0.5 miles from Dick's Creek Gap. It offers resupply options and also shuttles to those staying in it's hostel:

http://www.topofgeorgiahostel.com/
    Last edited by SteelCut; 05-13-2015 at 17:24.

Thanks again! So much good info!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++