WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Vegetarian meals

I've been vegetarian for years, any suggestions on vegetarian food for the trail

Store bought or homemade?

All my backpacking trips are in vegetarian or vegan mode. Weed thru my Trail Journals below and you may find some menu ideas.

I do a couple of couscous dishes with a freezer bag cook method. Couscous cooks a lot easier than rice. I don't have my recipes in front of me, but they'd be pretty easy to approximate with experimentation.

About half cup of couscous in a zip top bag. For a Mexican flavor profile, I add smoked paprika, powdered veggie boullion, homemade taco seasoning and dried onion. I add chopped smoked sundried tomatoes at camp. If it's not to hot to carry cheese, some shredded cheddar over the top is really nice.

For an Italian flavor profile, I add smoked paprika, 2 or 3 TBS Just Veggies, powdered veggie boullion, dried onion and dried Italian seasoning. I top this one with shelf-stable parmesan at camp after it's cooked.

If I'm needing extra salt, I pour in a small packet of soy like what you'd get from Chinese takeout.

Tabouleh dinner, nuts and seeds for snacks. Good sources of protein.

Journal Entries

Let' be realistic. Any meal is vegetarian until meat is added. The hardest item to get out there are veggies unless you dry them yourself. I started dropping the meat at one time and found that my pack suddenly became lighter. At one time I lived in a house that had an oven with a pilot light and I did a great job drying. However if you want to go all the way you can get a dehydrator. That is, unless you want to live on mac n cheese or ramen constantly.

Breakfast - oatmeal, seeds, nuts and raisins mixed in ziplock, dinner - rice noodles and broth mix. Nuts and dried fruit in between.
    This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!

A good source of dried fruits and vegetables (and dairy and meats for that matter) is Emergency Essentials.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    Let' be realistic. Any meal is vegetarian until meat is added.
    Had to laugh at that. I've been vegetarian all my life, and people are always asking me what I eat for Thanksgiving. Uh, potatoes, corn, cranberry sauce, tomatoes, salad, bread, sweet potatoes, peas, green beans, carrots, kidney beans, macaroni & cheese, blueberry pie, cheesecake, deviled eggs, cottage cheese, broccoli, zucchini, fried okra, onions, mushrooms, rice, bananas, apples, popcorn. What don't I eat? Ground animal corpse.

Being vegetarian doesn't mean eating "weird" stuff, or nothing but "bunny food."

Garlic
    Images

If you're ovo-lacto like me, add cheese and hard boiled eggs to all the above. I'm even stoveless and it works well for me--muesli (rolled oats, walnuts, raisins), tortillas, cheese, peanut butter, crackers, instant mashed potatoes, ramen, raisins, cashews, Fig Newtons are simple and available at most grocery stores near any trail.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

my niece did the vegan thing

she had me eating vegan as well not to bad

oh and by the way oreo's are vegan...

Quote Originally Posted by gotts63 View Post
    oh and by the way oreo's are vegan...
    The filling use to be made with lard..when did they change?

You can always add TVP for more protein.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    You can always add TVP for more protein.
    There are far better solutions than that crud. Pea and Hemp Hearts protein to name two products in my kitchen.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Default Vegetarian meals

Red lentils are one of my faves.

If you're pesca, sardines are a great source of protein and fat.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

I'm currently on a cooked quinoa jag. Cook up bunches at home. Dry in dehydrator. Add to soups in the field. Excellent protein source. Also rely on organic peanut butter and pumpkin seeds and nut butters.

GOOD POSTS.

LOOK for posts from Tipi and Vegan Packer. Both have shared many excellent thoughts on the topic.

Try OUTDOOR HERBIVORE.

Check out Vegan and vegetarian packaged Mountain House type fare, get the ingredientire list, and make and tweak your own...less expensive versions.

TW dehydrated quinoa idea is a winning vegetarian trail staple.

I went on the Outdoor Herbivore jag when her meals first came out and purchased a couple dozens meals and could not eat several of them. Why? Because she used (uses?) nutritional yeast in her ingredients---to mostly replicate dairy and/or meat. I can't stand it---but others might like it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++