WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

If not wanting nutritional yeast, which some Vegans and vegatarians include because it's a complete protein with all 18 essentail amino acids including the ones which are bodies don't make, and some hard for Vegans to get viatmins like maybe B12, etc, which is why she adds it, select options without it. The ingredient lists and nutritional profiles are available to peruse before buying. I like the nutrional yeast free entrees too - Lemongrass Thai Curry(made with instant BROWN RICE), Blackened Quinoa(best with some added chopped scallions and cheese even if it's Vegan or vegetarian cheese), Pea Nutty Match Sticks(consumed warm or cold), Chickpea Sesame Penne(had this last night on the trail with some fresh chopped scallions and garlic).... A simple cold or warmed Vegan trail meal: SOBA noodles(buckwheat noodles - gluten free) with tahini, which it is traditionally made with sesame oil and sesame seeds served cold, or , no MSG soy sauce packet, red pepper fakes, and a nut butter of one's choosing. Adding fresh scallions takes it up a notch. A warmed version could add fresh ginger, small slivers or matchsticks of daikon(Japanese radish, asking at a Sushi place they have always give me some spiraled) or carrot, dried ****akes, wakame seaweed(optional), and packet of Edwards& Sons No MSG Tofu Dried Miso soup packet.

Another nutritious option which I'm doing now on trail that I've added to my last two nights trail foods is trail grown sprouts. https://outdoorherbivore.com/trail-sprouts/ Sprouts are nutritious and easy to grow even on this rather dry East Texas hike.

My favorite is Campfire Nachos, it's easy and takes a little time to prepare
    Visit my blog HikerTrack to find useful tips for hiking, camping, survival skills and read thorough reviews about outdoor gears like best 10 person tent...

You can get flavored TVP (not bad, really) and freeze dried shredded cheese from places like Honeyville. Works especially well if you're cold-soaking.

Images

I have been a vegetarian since I was 15, 20 years ago! Yikes!

Store Bought: Mary Jane's Farm has delicious prepackaged meals. The black bean and corn chowder is one of my most favorite ones.

Home Made: Lip Smacking Vegetarian Backpacking book has good recipes. So does FreezerbagCooking (dot com).

Or you can just take flour tortillas and things to put in them. This is what I default to.

Also, there is a brand of dehydrated soup with Bear in its name. I like their cheddar broccoli. And I will also bring Better than Bullion cubes to sip a cup of broth if it is a chilly night.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Images

Oh, and I TVP (unflavored) *everything* when hiking. You cannot taste it. You won't be able to detect it except in thin broths, but it adds protein which is hard for a vegetarian to get on the trail, especially in warmer months (cheese melts).

Also, mooch (nutritious yeast) which adds a slight cheese flavor. Good b vitamins in that one.

Quote Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
    Oh, and I TVP (unflavored) *everything* when hiking. You cannot taste it. You won't be able to detect it except in thin broths, but it adds protein which is hard for a vegetarian to get on the trail, especially in warmer months (cheese melts).Also, mooch (nutritious yeast) which adds a slight cheese flavor. Good b vitamins in that one.
    mm, nutritional yeast.

Journal Entries

backcountryfoodie on instagram is a great reference for ideas on ultralight backpacking food. She is a vegeterian makes all her own meals with a strict ultralight cal/oz ratio.

We are dehydrating food now for our 2018 thru-hike. I bought a few books that helped. My wife's favorite is "The Ultimate Dehydrator Cookbook" by Tammy Gangloff. Others that are good "Recipes for Adventure" by Glenn McAllister and "The Appalachian Trail Food Planner" by Lou Adsmond. While these are not vegan, they have given us some good recipes, and we have tweaked several to make them vegan. We purchased an Excalibur dehydrator, which is excellent.

I’m a lifelong vegetarian and when I did the pct I craved the mountain house Mac n cheese and top ramen. I brought peanut butter, tons of it. I would buy bulk sesame seed sticks and dried fruit at winco. Their dried black bean soup with extra foil spice was also good. I had droppers of vitamins for b and omega, iron, and c that I IMG_5226.jpegwould mix with my water. Here’s my haul recently of some of what I have in IMG_5225.jpegIMG_5222.jpegmy cupboard right now. These have 5 year shelf lives, I leave them in my cupboard in case of an emergency then do a wk long trek in the summer to use them up. IMG_5218.jpegIMG_5218.jpeg

I just had a delicious freeze dried vegan meal, Peak 2 Butternut Dahl. I’ve eaten lots of them, this was by far the best. If you’re doing a country grocery resupply, mashed potatoes with Fritos. Quick and yummy

Fritos are the underdog. Corn, oil, salt. Adds so much flavor. On top of nearly every food, much joy is brought!! Skurkas Beans and Rice, for example.

They really should be more popular. Decent caloric density, vegan,gluten free—-delicious.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++