WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Food dehydrator

Default Food dehydrator

Looking to dehydrate my meal, any suggestions on how to do it or building a dehydrator?

dehydrators use variable heat and timers. Some are very cheaply priced and would be easier to buy than make. Check out Demeters webpage. She is also a member here, look her up

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

You can get an inexpensive dehydrator at the big box stores or check out your local thrift shops and yard sales. In a pinch, you can set your oven to its lowest heat and leave the door cracked.

I successfully used a cheapie round Nesco for years. Totally doable.

Images

Checkout Excaliber dehydrators. If you are intending to do a whole lot of food dehydrating they might be exactly what you need. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ber+dehydrator

If they are out of your price range or more than you need look at Nesco. I have the Nesco FD 80.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...sco+dehydrator

Also check out MrBablefish5/Hungry Hammock Hanger's videos for some of his dehydrated recipes.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MrBabelfish5/videos
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    You can get an inexpensive dehydrator at the big box stores or check out your local thrift shops and yard sales. In a pinch, you can set your oven to its lowest heat and leave the door cracked.

I successfully used a cheapie round Nesco for years. Totally doable.
    Ditto on yard sales. Buy a timer and use it to turn off the dehydrator if
    you have to leave it unattended.
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 05-14-2015 at 17:48.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Found several plans for solar dehydrators online. (this method appeals to me)
    Can make a plywood box and use exposed light bulbs to get temp up.
    Saw Alton Brown on TFN make jerky with air filters and a box fan.
    He also smoked salmon in a card board box.

Yard sales would be the easiest.

My coworker has one that I borrow a few times a year.
    She does not use it but will not sell it to me.

There are a ton of really cheap second hand dehydrators available. Check out ebay or Craigslist. I would definitely buy an electric model before building one, unless you are off the grid and electricity is a concern. But seeing you are in Florida, the humidity would be a reason for you to need to use an electric dehydrator and not the solar type (unless it's a solar oven).
    Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    dehydrators use variable heat and timers. Some are very cheaply priced and would be easier to buy than make. Check out Demeters webpage. She is also a member here, look her up
    Thanks for the cheap advertising, Damn Yankee :-) I definitely enjoy my dehydrator! Sharing the dehydrator love...
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

++ New Posts ++