Default When to Start Section Hike,Echo Lake to Cascade Locks ?

I am an Expat Kiwi or lives in Brisbane,Australia.
    Myself and a Kiwi mate who lives in Auckland,NZ are intending to Hike from Echo Lake to The Bridge of the Gods in 2017.
    I have read Yogis Guide,countless forums, and watched 100s of you Tube Vids, so planning and knowledge of the requirements
    for this hike are clear.
    A couple of important questions though..if some of you people could offer your advice please.
    When is a good time to start at Echo lake ??
    I have read all about the mosquitos in early August in Oregon..and the heat factor.
    We would like to hike at a time when there are other thru hikers passing thru the area.
    So I am thinking starting at Echo Lake in early June sometime ?..would this be about right ?....early or late June ?
    I have used the PCT Planner and have worked out a time span of approx 2 and a 1/2 months on the trail.
    Any thoughts on all above much appreciated.

Also..as I live in Aussie and my mate in NZ,we obviously have some logistical challenges.
    Our plan at this stage is to fly into San Fran from Aussie/NZ and hole up for a few days..make up 3 or 4 resupply boxes and post them off.
    Then fly into Lake Tahoe and join the trail at Echo Lake.
    We will buy our food as we go, as the logistics of making up countless food boxes in either Aussie/NZ or SFO is just not practical for us to do.

Any thoughts on this plan are also much appreciated also.

Look forward to your replies.
    Cheers
    Kiwi Stu

Hi everyone.
    Is there anybody here that can help me with my question here on start times.

cheers stu

I don't think this will be as helpful as you would like, but, I am doing a PCT Section starting 15th of May at Agua Dulce and ending at Echo Lake around the 23rd of June. So, that means that next year I intend on starting at Echo Lake the 24th of Jun. Not sure if it is the best time to hike north from there but will be the time that I choose to hike it. You can PM me in early July to see what I think of my plan after finishing this section.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Hi Lonehiker.
    Thanks for the info.
    It gels in with a reply I just got on the Postholer forum.
    Reply over there suggested not to start out from Echo lake until mid to late June...and it would take me approx 53 days.
    The window suggested was start 15 June...finish 15 Sept.
    So your planning looks like its spot on also.

Good luck with Hike and have fun.
    Cheers Kiwi Stu

++ New Posts ++