WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    Not true. Bears have prematurely ended several hikes on the CT that I am aware of. When bears become a problem they are destroyed. Incidents have occurred throughout the trail.

The number of Black Bears living in Colorado is estimated to be about 18,000 bears. http://www.denverpost.com/outdoors/c...nts-challenges

Here are the statistics on bears that have died in recent years by means other than hunting statewide in Colorado.

YEAR 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
    NON-HUNT MORTALITY 113 219 121 162 416 189 338 321 403 628 358

During this time span covered by the chart, 126 identified problem bears were killed in The Durango area alone (wildlife district. 15), and 165 were killed by cars.

It is so simple to not be a contributor to the issue. Secure your food by hanging it, using a cannister, or using a Ursack.
    That's great info. Thank you for sharing it and it definitely changes my approach. I don't want to teach bears to do things that will get them killed.

Quote Originally Posted by hikeandbike5 View Post
    search the forum. nothing specific about a ct hike that other threads on this topic can't answer.
    Just resupply options and foraging, but you're right that much of this is relevant anywhere.

In the shadow of Segments 22 and 23 between Lake City & Silverton.

On the bear issue, I use a Ursack. I have run across 5 bears in roughly 75 nights on the CT over the past 5 years.

2014) 6-6.0 at Jefferson Creek (campground by creek). A very large bear ran through camp as we were breaking camp in the morning. I later found out another group had spilled food the night prior.

2013) 8-19.2 at Camp Hale bunkers. A bear was foraging around in the middle of the night. I scared it off with my mini air horn.

2012) 22-1.7 at Rito Hondo Creek in late morning.

2011) 24-15.2 at the Animas River in the afternoon.

2010) 24-11.6 at the ponds right off the trail in the Elk Creek drainage.

The Bears that I ran across during the day simply ran away when encountered.

Decades ago, I always brought a .45 with me. Years ago, it was the big bear spray. Now, it's simply a mini air horn that weighs nothing and works well.

Ron

In my day to day life I eat paleo. All of my carbs come from vegetables and sweet potatoes with the occasional white potato. I don't touch pasta, oats, grains etc. I don't eat anything processed. The only dairy I consume is a little bit of cheese in the morning with my eggs. I don't drink milk. On the other hand, in my trail life I live off of low sugar instant oatmeal, peanut butter, Annie's boxed mac and cheese, Nido, tuna packets, summer sausage, and protein powder. Almost all things I don't normally eat in my day to day life.

When I'm burning 5k calories s day my dietary needs are a little different and it's also only temporary. When I'm off the trail I go back to a strict diet. I find that most of the thing I eat on the trail make me feel like crab when I'm not on the trail, but hiking 10 miles seems to change the way my body feels about some foods.. I'll still avoid the real junk food though like candy bars and other sugary gut bombs. I also won't ever be caught dead in a McDonald's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could make your own meals. This is what we do when we backpack.
    Although, Mountain House has some great selections also.

Here are some options:

https://naturalred.wordpress.com/201...s-and-chicken/

https://naturalred.wordpress.com/201...cken-and-rice/

https://naturalred.wordpress.com/201...t-peters-dome/

Avoiding carbs is really not even an option or realistic for that matter.

Good Luck!

Don't over-think this. You can buy all your food in towns along the trail. Go back to your normal diet when you get back home. Reference hanging food: I personally hang my food 99% of the time.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Journal Entries

I learned to identify many edible plants and eat them while walking. It's amazing how full you can get on berries, leafy greens, and fungus. I don't waste time washing anything. Tea Berries are out now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++