WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cheap Lightweight Gear List

As a poor grad student with some hiking experience (I thru hiked the AT in 2012), I decided to try and make an inexpensive and lightweight gear list for anyone looking to get into backpacking that doesn't have a lot of money to spend. The total cost of this gear list is $560 and the base weight is 12.8lbs. Prices and weights of each item are given in the link. Most of the items should be bought through REI and Amazon to take advantage of their free shipping deals (I've linked the majority of items to their respective websites). If anyone has any suggestions for any cheap lightweight gear changes please let me know.
    Here's the link:
    http://lighterpack.com/r/50uok

Apologies Correct link is http://lighterpack.com/r/50uokc

Good job. Usually you can get the Kelty Cosmic Down 20 degree bag for about the same price as the 40. Oh by the way, no TP? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Beave35 View Post
    As a poor grad student with some hiking experience (I thru hiked the AT in 2012), I decided to try and make an inexpensive and lightweight gear list for anyone looking to get into backpacking that doesn't have a lot of money to spend. The total cost of this gear list is $560 and the base weight is 12.8lbs. Prices and weights of each item are given in the link. Most of the items should be bought through REI and Amazon to take advantage of their free shipping deals (I've linked the majority of items to their respective websites). If anyone has any suggestions for any cheap lightweight gear changes please let me know.
    Here's the link:
    http://lighterpack.com/r/50uok

Excellent.... people mistakenly think that most of the weight savings is done by paying big dollars. I've been using that REI Flash 45 and while it is kind of small for a long hike it carries as well as any pack I've used.

I'd be tempted to try the SMD tent if I didn't already have another flavor that I'm happy with. Another thing that saves money and possibly weight for a long trip is a wood burning stove. It saves you from carrying fuel and I found that useful on my PCT trip where I resupply of fuel was more difficult (back in the early 90s). You might get into regulatory issues now but back then nobody gave me any trouble and it was a great solution for those circumstances. On the AT I carried a more traditional MSR stove.

This is great. I am not a gram weenie by any means. I almost could care less about weight. I'd rather save money, but that doesn't means if I could save money and weight I won't do it.

I have many items on that list. I especially like the Scout tent, although I haven't tested it in heavy rain yet. So far it has been great!

Thru hike, average time span.
    40 degree sleeping bag.
    Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Nice list.

Great job! Lightweight or UL does not have to be expensive but some people like to scare others into believing the only way to travel Lightweight or UL is to spend a lot of money. The backpack that I used to thru-hike the AT cost me $10. I used a similar pack while thru-hiking the PCT. That was years ago now it would cost about $25. It was a kids school bookbag but was able to make it the whole way. Simple to carry, easy on the wallet and yet strong enough to make it the whole way.

Lightweight or UL backpacking does have to cost a fortune. Now hopefully some people here will take note of this thread.

Wolf

Nice list. I am going to pass this on to some scouts I know.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerEagle View Post
    Good job. Usually you can get the Kelty Cosmic Down 20 degree bag for about the same price as the 40. Oh by the way, no TP? :-)
    Yea, I really like the Kelty cosmic down 20 degree as a cheap efficient bag. I used one on my thru hike in 2012 and it only cost $120.00 retail. However, they decided to jack the price up to $180 retail and you can find it on sale for $150.00 on a couple sites. Even with the increase in price its still on the cheaper side and a great option for a frugal thru hiker starting earlier. An even better bag at that price range in my opinion is the Enlightened Equipment Prodigy 30 deg bag costing $170 and weighing in at 24oz (Kelty Cosmic Down 20 degree weighs 39oz). Oh yea and I didn't add TP because I didn't know if it was categorized as a consumable item, but yea its definitely an item you don't want to forget haha.

Enlightened Equipment Prodigy 30 degree link: http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/prodigy/

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Thru hike, average time span.
    40 degree sleeping bag.
    Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    I made the list with late spring, summer and early fall hiking in mind. However, this set up would still be good for an early start Northbound thru hike or late Southbound thru hike if you replaced the Kelty Cosmic down 40 degree with a Kelty Cosmic 20 degree, or more preferably an Enlightened Equipment Prodigy 30 degree. Both these options are relatively cheap and lightweight (Kelty Cosmic down 20 degree $150-$180 39oz, Enlightened Equipment Prodigy 30 deg $170 24oz).

Quote Originally Posted by kevperro View Post
    Excellent.... people mistakenly think that most of the weight savings is done by paying big dollars. I've been using that REI Flash 45 and while it is kind of small for a long hike it carries as well as any pack I've used.

I'd be tempted to try the SMD tent if I didn't already have another flavor that I'm happy with. Another thing that saves money and possibly weight for a long trip is a wood burning stove. It saves you from carrying fuel and I found that useful on my PCT trip where I resupply of fuel was more difficult (back in the early 90s). You might get into regulatory issues now but back then nobody gave me any trouble and it was a great solution for those circumstances. On the AT I carried a more traditional MSR stove.
    Its good to hear that you enjoy using your REI Flash 45. From reviews of the backpack it sounds like it's pretty decent and hard to beat at a price of $90. I figured that the Flash 45 could hold this load out and a few days resupply (3 to 4 days) comfortably. The SMD Scout is definitely a find, I couldn't find any other tents around that weight for that cheap. The wood burning stove sounds like a neat idea, I'll have to look more into it. I think California sections of the PCT have a ban on alcohol stoves, open campfires, and basically any stove system that doesn't have an off switch, but the wood burning stove sounds like it could workout pretty well if you were hiking in damper areas.

Funny thing is.... I used it in S. California and it worked great there. The chapparral burns like crazy. That is why open flames are not allowed but I digress.

The Flash is fine.... but the limited volume is an issue for long hikes and/or bulky gear choices. It would work with a small down bag that compresses small and a minimalist gear list. My ULA Ohm 2.0 is about the same weight but the main compartment is much larger (but more expensive). I'm not sure how long the REI Flash is going to be at that price too. I think it is a clearance price so your list will go out of date relatively soon.

Funny the Prodigy came up because that is my current bag (quilt). I have the 30 deg. in a wide regular and it is 27 ounces carry weight. I'd carry it on a long trip but it takes up more volume than a down bag. I really like it for damp environment. You don't have to baby it as much as down in weather that is damp and wet for days on end.

Images

This list blows me away. What a great intro kit for low cost/intro backpacking. My 3-season kit was $3,500. I have all top of the line gear I bought after several years on the trails, and I purchased for the long term. That said, excellent work!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kevperro View Post

Funny the Prodigy came up because that is my current bag (quilt). I have the 30 deg. in a wide regular and it is 27 ounces carry weight. I'd carry it on a long trip but it takes up more volume than a down bag. I really like it for damp environment. You don't have to baby it as much as down in weather that is damp and wet for days on end.
    Do you think that the EE prodigy 30 degree would take up too much space in the REI Flash 45 with this load out? I should have let you write this list, it seems like you have a lot of practical experience with the gear haha. I plan on looking for an alternative cheap lightweight backpack because its a close out deal and won't last forever. I'm guessing the price will be hard to match though.

You could make it work. You will end up strapping things under the top and using other creative means but it is certainly possible. I'm doing a 100 mile section (5-days) in WA this year with it. If it were the only backpack I had I'd make it work but if I were planning a thru hike I'd spend the extra $100 and get something that fits all my crap with extra wiggle room. Just me though... I'm sure there are UL guys who only carry a g-string for layers and sleep in a garbage bag who would find it more than sufficient.

Registered User Bryce McCormick's Avatar

Hey Beave35.... Love the list. I'm using it as a guide for my ultralight thru hike in 2016. I'm curious how tall you are. I noticed your sleeping pad is just over 4 feet. I'm 6 feet tall myself.... do you think the 51 inch sleeping pad is sufficient?

Journal Entries

Could anyone elaborate what track pants are?

Thank you so much for the link to the shoes. I've been looking for some but everything I've found has been $80+!

The tent is legit as well. I may switch over to that if I have some extra cash floating around. Problem is I just purchased http://www.sierradesigns.com/product/lightning-2 I got it for like 45% off tho. Store closeout woot.
    It sits at almost 4 pounds tho, I'm looking for lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce McCormick View Post
    Hey Beave35.... Love the list. I'm using it as a guide for my ultralight thru hike in 2016. I'm curious how tall you are. I noticed your sleeping pad is just over 4 feet. I'm 6 feet tall myself.... do you think the 51 inch sleeping pad is sufficient?
    pad
    I'm 5'10", I chose the small sleeping pad, because full length pads might be slightly more comfortable, but not necessary. Your legs won't be on the pad but you can put your backpack underneath them so your legs aren't on the cold ground. If you are thinking about starting at an earlier date for your thru, you might want to go with one of the warmer sleeping bags we talked about earlier in the thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++