WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Wisdom, Sula, Darby or Salmon?

Looking at the Chief Joseph pass area I'm currently leaning towards sending a box to the Sula Country Store. When I get there I'll scope it out and either stay or hitch on up to Darby.

According to Google, Wisdom isn't much which leaves Salmon as an alternate to Sula/Darby.

Is there a lot of traffic on the highway? I could forego the box at Sula and just stand on whichever side of the road a car is driving down and leave Darby or Salmon up to fate.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Salmon is a cool town..but a long hitch. I lucked out and had a ride offered to me at the pass. Took a while to get back in the morning on a weekday. Weekends may be different.

Unless you need a a lot of amenities (relatively speaking!) Sula/Darby probably is just fine. I had to buy shoes in Salmon IIRC.
    Bonus, Darby has LOGGER DAYS!

Garlic went to it and said it was a blast.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Getting a ride there can be very slow. It seemed like there was more traffic on the road to Salmon than the road to Wisdom. I don't know about now, but Wisdom was very limited when we went there in 1999. Good food, but not much else. The motel only got one TV station, and there were no books or magazines in town. Salmon has more amenities. We ended up there after I got injured, and ended up staying for 5 days.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Wisdom is off the list. It'll be either Sula/Darby or Salmon.

Yeah, I had a tough hitch there, although it was in '98.
    But Wisdom was interesting: redneck bar or two, a few gas stations, some groceries (limited) and another tough hitch back out.
    Be aware that Wisdom is often one of the coldest places in the lower 48 on some days.
    Apparently there is what they call a "cold sink" that settles over the town and valley.

I was only in Salmon on a whitewater kayaking trip, back in '01.
    Seemed like a cool town that had a much bigger selection than Wisdom.

Lots of hot springs in that area west of the trail I believe.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Garlic
    Images

Like Mags said, if you can make it to Darby's Logger Days, you won't regret it. Especially if you've never seen an "unlimited" chain saw competition, as in two guys lifting a portable V-8 engine connected to a saw chain! Pure Montana.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

++ New Posts ++