WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Resupply heading into NOC/GSMNP

Hey guys--

I'm going on an extended section hike from Mountain Crossings to Hot Springs or maybe even all the way to Erwin if I can make it work with my schedule. My question is resupplying after Franklin going into the NOC and the Smokies. What are the resupply options? Should I send a small box to the NOC or Fontana? I know I don't want to carry food all the way from Franklin to Newfound Gap or Standing Bear Farm, so what's the best way to handle supplies for the Smokies (and a few days prior, too)?

Thanks!
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Journal Entries

I would resupply at NOC, Fontana village, and Standing bear
    I personally would avoid Gatlinburg.
    Smokies is only 5 days for some, 6-7 for others, so that might influence decisions.

NOC is easy for a box since its on the trail, but its not necessary, you can buy what you need for 2 days to fontana as well. You can buy from a good store in Fontana village, or mail to PO there , your choice.

what I would do...Is park my car at Fontana with that resupply in it. shuttle to the start. When get to Hot springs, shuttle back to car.

So Fontana Village has good resupply?
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Wide View Post
    So Fontana Village has good resupply?
    Small store with enough in village usually. It might be barren in thruhiker season.
    Or can get a ride into robbinsville. If you stay at the Hike inn, they will take you. They are a couple miles down road from fontana and will come get you, and bring you back next day.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-07-2015 at 21:56.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I would resupply at NOC, Fontana village, and Standing bear
    I personally would avoid Gatlinburg.
    Smokies is only 5 days for some, 6-7 for others, so that might influence decisions.

NOC is easy for a box since its on the trail, but its not necessary, you can buy what you need for 2 days to fontana as well. You can buy from a good store in Fontana village, or mail to PO there , your choice.

what I would do...Is park my car at Fontana with that resupply in it. shuttle to the start. When get to Hot springs, shuttle back to car.

This is exactly what I would do. The resupply at Fontana village was surprisingly hearty

++ New Posts ++