WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Camping just south of Harpers Ferry?

Besides the campsite listed 4 miles south of Harpers Ferry, is there any other campsite closer to Harpers Ferry. I vaguely remember a campsite before the highway that goes into HF but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks

Bump this post to the top, because I'm looking for an answer to the same question. My map show a campsite about 2 miles south of the National Park long term lot, does anyone know anything about it, or anything else close to HF?

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up This is just NORTH of Harpers Ferry but

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...Harper-s-Ferry

It's pretty close, and does have a camping area
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=55806

Note that campers do not share all the privileges of those paying full price.

There is no camping between Harpers Ferry and the campsite about 4 miles south (just north of the powerline). It has no water or privy.

All the land between the Potomac River to the ridgetop and 1/2 mile south beyond is in Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, where no camping or fires are allowed because significant activity took place here during the Civil War.

The campsite at the HI Harpers Ferry Hostel in the photo above is about 2 miles as the crow flies, but about 5 miles on foot from ATC, 4 miles from confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah. At one time there was a more direct route via a blue-blazed trail, but that has been closed by CSX railroad due to safety and liability issues. You now have to walk 2.7 miles on the C&O, cross the RR tracks where the A.T. crosses, follow Keeptryst road uphill 0.9 (narrow, curvy road with no shoulders) and then left 0.2 downhill on Sandy Hook Road.

++ New Posts ++