WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Default Overnight parking at Grand Canyon South Rim

Hey everyone, I'm doing a Grand Canyon Rim2Rim2Rim hike in a few weeks and I'm having trouble finding parking information. Do you need a permit to park overnight in the lots near the Bright Angel Trailhead? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by buff_jeff View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm doing a Grand Canyon Rim2Rim2Rim hike in a few weeks and I'm having trouble finding parking information. Do you need a permit to park overnight in the lots near the Bright Angel Trailhead? Thanks!
    You should be able to park for free in the lot next to the Backcountry office. That is maybe 200-300 yards from the trail head for Bright Angel. I've parked there for many overnights into the canyon with no issues. Maybe just call them ahead to be sure.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

No permit, just your entrance fee.
    Best place I can suggest that you park is in the fairly large lot at the Back country office.
    By parking at the back country office, you can catch the shuttle if you want to hike down Kaibab, yet it's close enough to Bright Angle trail head that walking can be faster than waiting on a shuttle.

Just park in one of the hotel/motel parking lots near the trailhead.

If you start your hike early in the morning (before 6:30) there are usually spots open right by the Bright Angel Trailhead. No special permit is required, but you should have your car's license number listed on your backcountry permit application.

If all of those slots are filled, the next closest spots are across the railroad track from the Bright Angel Lodge.

If those are filled, then the lot at the Backcountry Office is the place.

I was there in March and again in April. Both times I got a space right by the trailhead.

If you are using the South Kaibab Trail for the hike down (I recommend it), you can catch the Hiker Express Shuttle one block east of the Bright Angel Lodge. It runs on the hour at 5 a.m., 6 a.m., and 7 a.m. You can not park near the South Kaibab Trailhead, so it is necessary to take the Shuttle.

PS. If you are staying at Indian Garden on your first night, an interesting alternative is to take the South Kaibab down to the Tipoff, then take the Tonto Trail over to Indian Garden.
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 05-06-2015 at 19:08.
    Shutterbug

One more comment. If you are hiking "in a few weeks" be prepared for extreme heat -- plan to hike early and late in the day. You might even consider doing some of your hiking at night. A couple of years ago, my wife and I were at the Bright Angel Campground in June. Even in the middle of the night, it was too hot to sleep comfortably. About midnight we decided to get up and start our hike out. We were at Indian Garden when the sun came up. That night hike was enjoyable.
    Shutterbug

GAME 06

To reinforce what Shutterbug said.

The bottom of the Grand Canyon is about the same elevation as Phoenix. If the temps forecast for Phoenix are for 100+ (very possible in a few weeks as Phoenix has already hit 100+ this year) then plan for equivalent on the bottom of the canyon (it will not be quite as bad but this is what to plan for).

++ New Posts ++