WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: white cap photo

Default white cap photo

Goreous picture posted by Old Fahrt captione white cap. where is it? In the smokies possibly? or up in Maine? man I wish it was March 06 and I was already on the AT!!!

David

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Well, if it was on White Cap then it was Maine ...in the 100 Mile Wilderness.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

If I remember right, Old Fhart's photos have made it onto the Companion cover, ATC calendars, LLBean catalogs and more. It helps he has great subject matter, but I suppose there must be a little skill involved too Enjoy the gallery, Dave - it's a great way to get 'lost' this winter while you prep for your hike!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I have to somehow justify carrying 6-8 pounds of 35mm SLR camera!

Images

Default Question for The Old Fhart and other photographers

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart
    Well, there you have it in a nutshell! So, how do you manage? I love landscape photography and I love backpacking, but I've almost come to the conclusion that they are mutually exclusive. As I try to get my pack weight down, I shudder to think of adding another 10 lbs. of photo equipment.

Also, do you find that unless you carry your camera & tripod in hand while you hike, you're less likely to stop and set up for a shot? Especially in the spring, when there are so many great macro opportunities, I can stop every 100 yards and work an area for 30 minutes or so ... there goes any thought of planned mileage for the day!

I've more or less resigned myself to separating my backpacking trips into two categories. Either a particular trip is for "hiking" and I only take my small digital for snapshots and documentary shots, or it's a "photo hike" and I carry my full size Canon w/tripod and lenses. Even then I'm making concessions and leaving behind things that I wish I had in the field ... no 70-210, no lightdisk, etc.

I shoot mostly on day hikes, when car camping, or short backpacking trips of one or two nights, when mileage doesn't matter. But invariably, when I'm out for a couple of weeks and I don't bring my full sized gear, I'm constantly seeing scenes that make me wish I'd sucked it up and brought it along. So, I'm interested to see how other photographers who also backpack extensively handle the dilemma.

I was in a photo workshop once when a student was having his slides critiqued by the teacher, a well-known nature photographer. The student had a beautiful shot from Glacier National Park (I think) that the teacher gushed over and asked, "How far is that from the road?", no doubt thinking to put it on his list of future work. The student answered, "About three days."

I love your pics OF -

What camera rig are you using?
    ~CynJ

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

here is an updated version of a reply i made on an earlier thread about SLRs-

the history of carrying my camera goes as follows:

-in october of 2000 i set off from springer with the slr in my backpack and a point and shoot in my pocket. i took literally no pictures with it and ended up sending it home two weeks later.

-in april of 2002 i set off from the roan highlands with the slr attached to a side compression strap on my pack with a small carabiner. this proved to be a decent method for me but i didn't like that the camera wasn't protected.

-in october of 2003 i set off from katahdin with the best system i have found. i use a Lowepro off trail 1. i use a small carabiner to attach the handle to my sternum strap and thread the belt of the case around my torso (in between my pack and my body) and have no problems with it. the system doesn't bounce and the belt strap around my torso doesn't bother me.

i used this same set up in 2004 and am currently using it on the north carolina mountains to sea trail. in the off trail 1; i carry my camera body, 3 lenses (28mm, 50mm, and 100mm), extra rolls of film, a shutter release cable, a small spiral notebook and pen for recording the camera settings of each shot, and two small silnylon stuffsacks for when it rains.

when it does rain, i also have a larger OR stuffsack that i put everything in and then store in my backpack. i don't take any chances.

although it is a little bigger and heavier (1.8 pounds) i also carry a Quantaray - QT-100 Compact Travel Tripod. i have found that this works quite well for those long exposure sunrise/sunset/nightime/moving water shots.

this past summer i walked the john muir trail and carried 15 (yes, i said fifteen) pounds worth of camera equipment with me. i carried my nikon with 3 lenses (28mm, 50mm, and macro to 90mm); a canon ae1 with a 16mm fisheye lens, and a bronica medium format with a 75mm lens. i would carry one of the cameras in my lowepro bag and the other two in another camera bag in the top of my pack.

heavy but well worth the weight.

a few of the JMT shots can be found at www.trailjournals.com/grizzlyadamjmt or here as well.

that's all for now.
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH
    Goreous picture posted by Old Fahrt captione white cap. where is it? In the smokies possibly? or up in Maine?
    Would be great if those posting photos told the basics ...

WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, WHY, and HOW.

And not just for one photo in a series, but for each.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart
    I hate to admit it. Old Fhart will think I'm both dumb -- and obnoxious. But despite 30 minute or so searching, I've yet to find the photo of one of my favorite mountains that you folks are praising so highly.

Any clues will be appreciated.

Weary

++ New Posts ++