WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Flip flop 2016!

Default Flip flop 2016!

Greetings from the trail! I thought I'd reach out to you all who are planning your 2016 hike. I am only five days into my flip-flop and have enjoyed every moment of it so far. Although, my wife says I'm still in the honeymoon phase. Maybe so, but the weather has been perfect and the terrain has been a good way to ease into my trail legs. I encourage all of you who were considering a thru hike in 2016 to take a look at the flip-flop itinerary.
    And if you're interested in following my journey on Facebook here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trave...79290288793997
    Happy trails,
    -Tejas.

So what is the best way to Harpers Ferry? I see it has a train stop but what city should I be looking at for greyhound or airplanes?

I need a way to Harpers Ferry and a way from Katahdin to Harpers Ferry.

I plan on being on my own, so I will not have someone dropping me off and I will have to find my own ride from Katahdin.

Any crowd to speak of? Im planning on a flip next year to avoid all of the hoopla.

Tejas,

Great to see this new thread (and great to meet you in Harpers Ferry)! Glad you are enjoying yourself. I'm going back and re-reading the posts now that I know most of the people--it makes me want to be out there with you guys and gals so much!!

Yesterday I took a walk in Maryland, and ran into 3 of the flip-floppers from the kick off. They had intentionally been keeping their mileage low to start, and seemed really relaxed and happy.

Laurie P.
    ATC

Default Transportation from Baxter State Park in Maine to Harpers Ferry

Brewyet,

Train is the simplest way to get to Harpers Ferry. If you want to fly, Reagan airport is usually the cheapest when you calculate the total cost of getting to Harpers Ferry of the 3 airports in the vicinity. From Reagan, you can take the DC subway (Metrorail) to Union station, and at Union Station pick up a MARC commuter train (3 or 4 in the evening on weekdays), 1 Amtrak 7 days a week.

The closest airport is Dulles (40 miles away). There are shuttle services (by arrangement, not regularly scheduled) that can take you directly to Harpers Ferry, but that will likely be more than $100.

The closest bus station is Frederick, Maryland, 20 miles away; no public transportation to connect.

I wouldn't worry too much about the return trip to Harpers Ferry, but below is some info.

Btw, you don't mention that friends or family meeting you is an option, but I'll be proactive here for others who are reading this:

I wouldn't encourage family to meet you in Baxter and climb Katahdin. Baxter State Park has asked us to relay this to thru-hikers. It's really difficult to get a parking space/camping reservation in this ultra-high demand spot at the last minute. It's extremely tasking and time-consuming for rangers to try to accommodate family members at the last minute who don't have reservations, but the catch is, the hiker usually can't pinpoint exactly when he or she is going to finish so you can't really make reservations. Like every state park, Baxter has limited financial resources, and the demands of the increasing number of A.T. hikers (and their families) is really stressing Baxter. Second, your family member had better be in great shape if they are going to climb Katahdin: it's a 10-mile hike with a 4,000-foot climb defined by boulder-scrambling: strength, stamina and agility are essential. Also difficult for those with fear of heights.

Here's the transportation rundown from Baxter in Maine to Harpers Fery

Baxter to Millinocket, ME
    Every day, there are many people leaving Baxter and heading out the same way you are. You should be able to find a ride to the town of Millinocket outside Baxter State Park without actually hitching. Millinocket is where almost all hikers spend the first night after climbing Katahdin.

Spend the night in Millinocket, ME
    The A.T. Lodge is run by A.T. 2,000-milers and caters to A.T. hikers; there are also several motels available

Millinocket to Medway, ME (10 miles) via shuttle
    Arrange a private shuttle.

Medway to Bangor, ME via bus (60 miles)
    Catch a Cyr Bus. If the timing doesn't work for you, the A.T. Lodge and other shuttlers can take you all the way to Bangor.

Bangor to Washington, DC via airplane
    Reagan Airport (in Arlington, VA, just across the Potomac River from DC) seems to work well; there are direct subway (Metrorail) connections (yellow line, then transfer to red line) to Union Station. You can also get a taxi.

American Airlines, non-stop, 2 hours and 5 minutes from Bangor to Reagan/DC, as low as $166, but can be very expensive at other times.

Dulles Airport is the closest to Harpers Ferry but the hardest to get to by public transportation. As noted above, you can get a private shuttle for $100+.

BWI (Baltimore-Washington) has public transportation via the MARC train to Union Station.

OR

Bangor to Portland to Boston via bus or bus/train combo (requires overnight?)
    From there you can catch a Greyhound bus or a plane to a DC area airport.

OR

you can travel south 125 miles to Portland, and catch a cheaper MegaBus, or get an Amtrak train to DC.

Recent research on MegaBus, turned up the following (yes, tickets actually are sometimes just $1!)

Portland to Boston, $1 - 23. 1 hr. 55 minutes.
    Boston to DC, $15-57, 9 hrs. 46 min, or 10 hrs.

Washington, DC Union Station to Harpers Ferry, WV (65 miles)
    MARC Commuter Train (all in late afternoon/evening, weekdays only)
    Amtrak (one train late afternoon, daily)

What's lacking in the above is getting from different transportation hubs within the same city, e.g., Cyr Bus terminal in Bangor to the airport or Greyhound station.

Laurie P.
    ATC
    Last edited by Lauriep; 05-06-2015 at 06:57.

Lauriep Thank you so much for the info. I am NOT having family meet me at Katahdin which is why I am trying to figure out logistics since I will not have a car available.

So basically Katahdin to Harpers Ferry means get to DC and take the Train.

This is looking complicated.

What temperature rating for your sleeping bag are you planning on bringing? Starting late April/May seems like I could get away with a 30 or 40 degree bag.

Quote Originally Posted by brewyet View Post
    What temperature rating for your sleeping bag are you planning on bringing? Starting late April/May seems like I could get away with a 30 or 40 degree bag.
    I'm using a 20 degree quilt. But you could probably get by with a 30. I like the flexibility of a warmer quilt and a liner. I use the liner as a sheet and sleep on top of the quilt if it gets too warm. So far so good.

I have decided that IF I can get on the trail in 2016, it's definitely going to be a flip flop. It makes sooooo much sense to me to do it this way. My only decision right now is where to start my flip flop. Somewhere, someone suggested starting in Waynesboro instead of Harper's ferry because you would start out hiking the relatively easy SNP as you get into better trail shape and work on your trail routine. My only unknown with this right now is what kind of logistics will need to be overcome to do this. No problems with the start, it's only a 5 1/2 hour drive from my hometown...family will do that. But what more does it take to get back to Waynesboro instead of Harper's Ferry from Katahdin...is the question.

I am planning a 2016 flip flop starting around May 1 from Harpers Ferry based on the suggestion of the ATC to avoid the crowds at Springer, better weather, and the very easy accessibility of Harpers Ferry via the Brunswick line of the MARC train from DC ( current schedule available at http://mta.maryland.gov/sites/defaul...ck_Jan2015.pdf ). It is cheap and trains run starting early afternoon from Union Station in DC which is accessible via the DC metro on the RED LINE.

If you are taking public transportation into DC and need to get supplies that can't be transported on flights such as fuel, there is a outfitter right by the DC metro stop called Hudson Trail Outfitters (DC metro RED LINE to Tenleytown). Hudson Trail is a locally owned store in the DC area that has been in business for years. I bought my first sleeping bag, tent, and boots there in the early 1980s. They are very supportive of hiking and other outdoor activities in the greater DC area. https://www.hudsontrail.com/

There is also an REI in College Park, MD. The metro does go to College Park, but I really don't know how close they are. There are also high end clothing/outdoors shops like Patagonia in DC.

If anyone is planning to start a NOBO flip flop from Harpers Ferry around May 1, I'd love to connect.

There is also an outfitter in Harpers Ferry. I am not actually sure that it is legal to carry fuel on a train. However, nobody is check at the train station.

I am hoping to do a flip flop hike starting in Harper's Ferry around the end of April and early May! I will be heading nobo from there and then travelling back..

Journal Entries

Hi All fellow 2016 Flip Floppers!
    My partner (TowSack) and I are planning to leave from Harpers Ferry with the 2016 Flip Flop Kick Off gang. Will make reservations somewhere as soon as the "official" Flip Flop date is set. Enjoyed our visit at the ATC on August 25th. Thanks Laurie! If it helps any about transportation just to Harpers Ferry we have looked into renting a car one way. That seems to be a good option for now. There is an enterprise rent a car in Charles Town and one in our home town. From Charles Town there are taxi services.

Hi. I am planning to start at Mt. Rogers NRA Headquarters (Marion, VA) in early to mid-March. I'd like to get an early start. Starting at that in Marion seems like a good place to start a flip flop while allowing maximizing mileage and hopefully arriving to VT after the LT opens/end of mud season. It might even be possible to time things to end up in HF for the Flip Flop Kick Off although it is more liekly I will be in PA by then.

There is Greyhound service to Marion from Knoxville, TN/Tri Cities (TRI airport) and also from Washington, DC. From Marion it is 6 miles to the AT at the Mt. Rogers NRA Headquarters which is just north of Partnership Shelter. The same buses also stop in Wytheville, VA. From there you can access the AT near Bland, VA.

There is adequate shopping in Marion or Wytheville to get things like groceries, Heet, etc. I am not sure the availability of cansiter fuels in either town. Does anyone know about this?

Hi there- I am a retiring special education teacher from Buffalo Public Schools and will be leaving Harpers Ferry on May 1. I am 60 years old and plan on taking it very easy. No more than 10 miles a day for the 1st. month. Currently walking 5 miles a day mostly on a tred mill with pack on. Looking forward to sharing thoughts.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adagio123 View Post
    Hi there- I am a retiring special education teacher from Buffalo Public Schools and will be leaving Harpers Ferry on May 1. I am 60 years old and plan on taking it very easy. No more than 10 miles a day for the 1st. month. Currently walking 5 miles a day mostly on a tred mill with pack on. Looking forward to sharing thoughts.

Hi Adagio123,
    Same here! Retired teacher, 60 years old! My husband and I also plan on taking it very slow to start. We plan on attending the Harpers Ferry 2016 Flip Flop Kick off. The exact date has not yet been set but it will be either late April or around May 1st. You can find more information at the Appalachian Trail Conservancy web site.
    Look under the event section.

Www.appalachiantrail.org

I too am starting May 1st and plan to attend the kick off. Hope to see you all there....SciFi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

2016 Flip Floppers looks like we are starting to form a pack of hikers! ​EXCITING!

Just checked out the Hudson Trail website. They are closing all stores so don't think they are an option for next year. Sad.

Journal Entries

There is a hudson Trail store and an REI in Rockville MD on the red line at Whiteflint station. Both stores are within 1-2 miles of the station

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++