WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Maine's Black Flies

I found this article in this months Yankee magazine and thought you might get a kick out of it. If anyone has experienced the Black Flies, you know how bad they can be. I remember being dowsed in baby oil as a kids so the flies couldn't bite and not being able to see 3' in front of me because there were so many.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Funny article DY. It is best to laugh at life's inconveniences.

Black flies are fun. They make spring trout fishing interesting. When I was a young man, I used to fish several brooks up north between the parent's days (the height of black fly season). I did not use bug spray. I would just dunk my whole body under the water and then fish until they found me again. I did the same thing clam digging.... sorta. I would smear mud all over my neck, face, arms, and legs. When they found a hole, just killing one with my muddy hands was enough to repair the chink in the armor. This video shows our bain in ways that words can never express. Many have bragged about their pests. I will let you judge for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAd_JIFzceo
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 04-29-2015 at 10:24.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Yup. That's exactly what I remember about my trips to Maine

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

GF and I went for a hike and overnight this past weekend. Although it was kinda muddy in spots, we both agreed the lack of black flies made it all worthwhile.

Leaving in the morning tomorrow for a few nights on trail. With temps in the low 30s expected I'm thinking it is safe to leave the head net home for this one, but that will be the last time it doesn't make the list for a while

When do they usually die off around Baxter? Acadia?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    Leaving in the morning tomorrow for a few nights on trail. With temps in the low 30s expected I'm thinking it is safe to leave the head net home for this one, but that will be the last time it doesn't make the list for a while
    Headnet weighs what an ounce? I'd bring it myself. This is truely one of those 'better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it' types of items!

Unfortunately, it isn't really possible to predict a "die off" time, since the weather, water levels, and rain control that. They are a spring pest, so you can find them throughout the spring. About the only defence to them is DEET. And since most of us perspire when we backpack, that becomes a problem. You must pay special attention to any opening in your clothing (cuffs, necklines, leg openings, etc). They will enter through any opening in your clothing and feed on unprotected skin. A hat is mandatory, and face netting helps. I don't backpack in Maine in the spring usually, but do fish in the Katahdin area. It is not uncommon for me to have hundreds on me at any given time during their season. Once I forgot my shirt cuff openings and my arms were bitten at least 50 times each. The buggers crawled into the openings and fed on my unprotected arms.

Two good things: they don't bite through clothing (unlike mosquitoes and moose flies), and eventually it's possible to reduce the allergic reaction to their saliva (which causes those big, itchy welts). Unfortunately, that takes years of being bitten by them. All I get now is just a red spot, and very little reaction, to bites.

Between the parent holidays (Mother's Day and Father's Day) has been a benchmark for years. Shift that a bit later as you go north. I find them tolerable by July up north. It varies by year and your tolerance level. In 2013 I headed south from Baxter on July 8. I did not use bug spray on that walk. Hikers from away (sorry for the dig but it applies here for the teasing of tolerance levels) were losing their minds over the critters. They are never a huge issue in Acadia. Stay on the hills in Acadia and you will be fine. Bring DEET if you have never had the pleasure.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by nuknees View Post
    Headnet weighs what an ounce? I'd bring it myself. This is truely one of those 'better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it' types of items!
    I agree with your philosophy in general and tend to err on the side of being prepared. For this trip that means I'm bringing both spikes and snowshoes, but not a headnet. If I have regrets I will let you know so you may properly tell me "I told you so"

i swatted a couple of black flies last Sunday near the 2000 mile mark of the AT. they are already out.

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    When do they usually die off around Baxter? Acadia?
    Late August and September are pretty safe. Went to Baxter last July 4th and didn't have any problems with them. They had a lot of rain last year, so maybe they will be worse this year.

Images

Black flies for Mothers Day, mosquitos for Fathers Day.
    Greg P.

++ New Posts ++