WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    The 210 Gridstop is still pretty heavy.... he does have four colors now at least. But that type of fabric gets tough to find.
    thru-hiker has 140 gridstop which I'm thinking would be about the right weight for what I want but color choices are few and far between. I also don't like the white grid - I don't know why anyone would. Anyhow, I agree that the hyperd 300 is nice material for the money. BTW that's an impressive test you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    thru-hiker has 140 gridstop which I'm thinking would be about the right weight for what I want but color choices are few and far between. I also don't like the white grid - I don't know why anyone would. Anyhow, I agree that the hyperd 300 is nice material for the money. BTW that's an impressive test you're doing.
    It's an impressive fabric too. 1.7 Hybrid Robic single layer.
    If my fat azz can stand in it... gotta figure it makes a decent pack. I had one of my 350lb+ testers blow a hole in it with a bridge pole and then sleep in it with the hole for 30-40 nights. We patched it with tenacious tape and he's been going for 100+ nights in it.

The Hex70 with PU coating is another option from Kyle too that is a bit stiffer (because of the coating) but not as knarly as the 420d stuff.

As you say... the robic gridstops are tough to find in nice colors unless you buy a full mill run to your own specs.

Keep in mind... most of the cottage backpack guys (other than the xpac folks) are sticking with a 70d or so with 100d reinforcement. Even the beefy ones aren't going much past 210 for LD hiking packs... so the 300d HyperD is still pretty stout stuff relatively speaking.

Mystery Ranch Terraplane is 500d cordura... that's the grandaddy of bomber packs if you want to talk overkill.

Not that you need anymore options

One final thought. If you're worried about snags, one thing I've seen used but haven't tested much is doing a super slick rainfly material and making a double layer pack body. Or doubling up the side panels with that material to increase the slid past at the shoulders as that's where you tend to get snagged up on overgrown trails.

But what a lot of folks miss is all the pocket mesh will get trashed pretty quick if you're bushwhacking. Really the only way to go for true bushwhacking is to go with a bit more volume in the main pack and reduce or eliminate any exterior pockets. But if you're mainly talking abrasion resistance sometimes the simple solution is just a second 'wear layer' in sil-nylon or similar.

The best bushwhack packs are the tube style packs- with a minimal back mesh pocket, nothing on the sides and ideally a front pouch to move up the missing storage at the sides of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    It's an impressive fabric too. 1.7 Hybrid Robic single layer.
    If my fat azz can stand in it... gotta figure it makes a decent pack. I had one of my 350lb+ testers blow a hole in it with a bridge pole and then sleep in it with the hole for 30-40 nights. We patched it with tenacious tape and he's been going for 100+ nights in it.

The Hex70 with PU coating is another option from Kyle too that is a bit stiffer (because of the coating) but not as knarly as the 420d stuff.

As you say... the robic gridstops are tough to find in nice colors unless you buy a full mill run to your own specs.

Keep in mind... most of the cottage backpack guys (other than the xpac folks) are sticking with a 70d or so with 100d reinforcement. Even the beefy ones aren't going much past 210 for LD hiking packs... so the 300d HyperD is still pretty stout stuff relatively speaking.

Mystery Ranch Terraplane is 500d cordura... that's the grandaddy of bomber packs if you want to talk overkill.

Not that you need anymore options

One final thought. If you're worried about snags, one thing I've seen used but haven't tested much is doing a super slick rainfly material and making a double layer pack body. Or doubling up the side panels with that material to increase the slid past at the shoulders as that's where you tend to get snagged up on overgrown trails.

But what a lot of folks miss is all the pocket mesh will get trashed pretty quick if you're bushwhacking. Really the only way to go for true bushwhacking is to go with a bit more volume in the main pack and reduce or eliminate any exterior pockets. But if you're mainly talking abrasion resistance sometimes the simple solution is just a second 'wear layer' in sil-nylon or similar.

The best bushwhack packs are the tube style packs- with a minimal back mesh pocket, nothing on the sides and ideally a front pouch to move up the missing storage at the sides of the pack.
    Had a few major bumps in the road with deaths in the family and haven't made my pack yet. You gave me plenty of good advice, but the hyperD is very floppy. I ordered samples to check it out. 420D robic is nice but just too stiff for the entire pack - maybe good for the bottom and back. I'm convinced tht the hyperD fabric is tough enough for the job but I'd really prefer a pack material that holds its shape rather than laying limp like a wet noodle while I'm packing it. Is there anything in between these tw o with some selection in color. Xpac costs too much for me so it isn't an option.

Ray way products has a full backpack kit for $82. Not sure if this the type you are thinking of. Many product kits worth a glance for the ultralight do it yourselfer. I have ordered from them before, prompt and pleasant service.
    Also in their website are tips on UL materials and sewing tips and tricks

https://www.rayjardine.com/OrderForm.php

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    Ray way products has a full backpack kit for $82. Not sure if this the type you are thinking of. Many product kits worth a glance for the ultralight do it yourselfer. I have ordered from them before, prompt and pleasant service.
    Also in their website are tips on UL materials and sewing tips and tricks

https://www.rayjardine.com/OrderForm.php
    Thanks, but I'm building a special custom pack to my specs to fit on a frame that I already have. A rayway pack or anything ultralight isn't what I'm after. I've had a problem finding a material that suits me. hyperD 300 would work well but it has no stiffness and I would like a stiffer material. A lighter Cordura is about right but it isn't very waterproof. Ripstop by the roll's Robic 420 is great but just a little too stiff and heavy. dyneema xgrid is almost perfect but it isn't very available (especially in colors)and its pretty expensive. Anyhow - I probably already know all the options but thought there may be something new out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Thanks. That's the ultimate choice, but I thought I would make a prototype out of cheaper fabric first. If I like it I may stop there. If I really like it and the waterproof nature of Xpac seems worth the cost I'll do another one. That's the plan righ now. I ordered some 300x400D PU nylon fabric samples from rockywoods yesterday. I haven't read much online about that material from people's experience - apparently it wasn't too popular but it sounds like something that will work for me. I actuall really really like the 420 robic at ripstop by the roll but its a little too stiff (and heavy) to use for the whole pack. It would make a great bottom and back though. I'm focusing on $10 per yard types of fabric.

I ordered some 210 gridstop and hyperD 300 from rip stop by the roll. Committed now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++