WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Planning CDT section hike

I've done a lot of hiking in the GSMNP but I would like to venture out a little more. I've always been infatuated with the west so I'm thinking of doing a five day section of the CDT. If finances allow I'd like to do it in October of this year, if not then definitely in October of 2016. I'm thinking October as I'd like to be on the trail while the leaves are changing. The portions I'm particularly interested in are Wyoming and Montana. If you were going to spend five to seven days on the CDT in WY AM and MT, which sections would you say are the best? I'm looking mostly for scenic. Easy ish water supply would be preferable as well. I'm also concerned about transportation to and from the airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Wind River Range in Wyoming is very scenic. I wouldn't feel obligated to stay on the CDT if you hike there -- you can custom fit a hike. October is later (and colder) in the season than I would like to be hiking at high elevations on the CDT, though. I would prefer September.

Here are a couple photos from a hike I did there in 2011:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...imageuser=7623

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...imageuser=7623
    Last edited by map man; 04-28-2015 at 08:27.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Images

The 4 seasons in Montana are: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Construction.

October is definitely Almost Winter. Days are getting shorter quite quickly and there is a strong possibility of heavy snowfall.

Last year October was warm and mild, but the year before there was heavy early snowfall. A couple of hikers from Virginia were caught out in Glacier National Park and stranded for several days. That one had a happy ending--they hunkered down and survived just fine, albeit a bit thinner by the time they got out.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

A nice hike that fits your time frame would be the South San Juans from Cumbres Pass to Wolf Creek Pass. I think a better bet for seeing fall colors would be in mid to late September. In October you will have to deal with Elk hunters.

Given the altitude, September is full autumn on most of the CDT. We had snow and below freezing temperatures on both of our hikes soon after September 15th. By October, the leaves were pretty much gone except around Ghost Ranch in NM.

Thanks everyone! It looks like mid September it is l! I was only thinking October because I figured the colors would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WY: Wind River Range
    MT: Anaconda/Pintler Wilderness
    CO: Anywhere (except perhaps the section just north of Creede) (Bearcreek described the BEST section)
    i actually thought it a bit funny about the elk hunters: We'd only see them near the road (and there are no roads in that section except the beginning and end), and they always asked us where the elk were. We'd answer: Nowhere near the roads. About 40 miles on foot from here. Some have horses though and gave us potatoes and onions and even a beer!

The next section: Wolf Creek Pass to Silverton, is even better although possibly too long to do in 5 days. You can bail out at Vellicito Lake, near Durango.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

How much color is there going to be in the Winds though? It's mostly pine forest when it's forested at all. The winds would definitely be my recommendation but not for fall color. I'd think you'd see better fall color in the aspens of Colorado or else riparian areas like the Gila river.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

northern New Mexico has some wonderful aspen colors and is a bit better with the weather, overall, than Colorado esp at that time of the year.

late Sept/ early October just south of Cumbres Pass:

Of course, rather than do the CDT, there is so much more out there in northern New Mexico. Some of it rivals the San Juans just to the north with, usually, a slightly longer weather window.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Wyoming. September. Labor Day or a little later start. No crowds. All the Griswolds will be back home. Fly into Jackson Hole or Idaho Falls airport.
    Be advised. You may be forever spoiled after this hike.
    The good news: If you do start biting off 1 or 2 month chunks of the CDT, you won't have to detour off the CDT to hike the Teton Crest Trail.

Teton Crest Trail.

Have fun. Enjoy!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I don't play fair.

Teton Crest Trail Teaser

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

That can be a good time to hike, except for the short days, cold nights, and possibility of storms (snow). I would suggest carrying a NOAA weather capable radio so you don't get surprised out there. Forecasters will give you several day warning of any big storm.

There are sections of the Bob Marshall Wilderness that have larch trees, as well as aspen. That area was really beautiful in the autumn. In 2006 the color was prime at the end of September.
    See http://spiriteaglehome.com/cdt06_mt4.html for pictures.

++ New Posts ++