WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    •Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Along most of the AT in SNP, you should find ample places to tent or hang. Near overnight huts or in between. But you may need to be flexible/creative. Same with water.

I think the most challenging stretch for camping is between Calf Mt. and Blackrock Huts.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Aside from the section between Calf Mt. Hut and Blackrock hut, there are water sources noted in all guidebooks. In drought periods, some of these may be low or non-existent. It's best to check with Rangers at Byrd Visitor Center for specific advice close to your start date.

It is possible to cache water in jugs almost anywhere there is a vehicle-accessible road crossing. It takes some planning, time, and a vehicle. I've done this on the AT in SNP and also the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail, using store-bought gallon jugs that can be easily cut up later and packed out (not thick plastic). Both trails have frequent enough crossings. A few pointers...

1) Place the jugs of water yourself, so you know exactly where to find them. As a backup, make notes about where you hid water.

2) Hide your water so no one else will find it.

3) Affix labels to your water jugs, explaining that you intentionally left them for your own use while doing a long backpacking trip, with the dates of your hike and your name. Request that anyone who finds them leave them alone, as you are desperately depending on these water jugs and went to a lot of effort to place them there.

4) Once you have reclaimed your water while hiking, DO NOT leave the empties behind. Cut the empty jugs up, pack it out. Trail managers and volunteers are depending on it, as is the environment. Future hikers might find authorities cracking down on water caching if you contribute to littering.

Don't forget to consider camping options not immediately on the AT. The AT is positively hatched with blue blazed trails throughout SNP, and there are many nice primitive camp sites just a short hop down a blue blaze from the AT.

I know this is an old thread, but in case someone else comes across it looking for info:

Last summer I found a good campsite near the intersection of the AT and Jeremy's Run Trail. It's not far SOBO from Elkwallow Wayside plus there is a spring/creek nearby.

There was also a good campsite near the intersection of the AT and the Crusher Ridge Trail. No water. About half way between Little Stony Man and Pinnacles Picnic area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++