WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Are Bikes Allowed on the CT Housatonic River Walk?

I'd like to use a bike for the return trip on the five mile Housatonic walk in Kent. Are they allowed on the four miles or so north of the gate which blocks cars?
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

To be clear, non-motorized bicycle, that is.

The short answer is no. Bicycles and motorized vehicles are not allowed anywhere on the AT in CT, with the exception of where the AT joins a gravel or paved road/highway. You can stash a bike at the far end in Cornwall and ride back via Rt 7.

Images

The reason why I asked is that that stretch is a gravel road and is sometimes referred to as a road walk. Is the operative concept here "road open to vehicular traffic," which is a no here?

It is not a road walk along its whole length, and the road ends at a turnaround a few miles north of Kent. It would be easier logistically to just yo-yo that section, as a legal bike trip would be quite long. I wonder if you could kayak or tube it though...
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

Images

I think two cars or a shuttle is the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    The reason why I asked is that that stretch is a gravel road and is sometimes referred to as a road walk. Is the operative concept here "road open to vehicular traffic," which is a no here?
    No is no. The AT past the cup de sac is not a gravel road. Vehicles can get to the cul de sac for parking (marked by concrete blocks), but no mechanical vehicles are allowed north of there on the AT, which include bicycles.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    No is no. The AT past the cup de sac is not a gravel road. Vehicles can get to the cul de sac for parking (marked by concrete blocks), but no mechanical vehicles are allowed north of there on the AT, which include bicycles.
    Thanks or your helpful info.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Snacktime and I plan to self-shuttle that section with our bikes. There's a road along the river (River Rd) that can be biked.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Snacktime and I plan to self-shuttle that section with our bikes. There's a road along the river (River Rd) that can be biked.
    There is no road on the west side of the Housatonic River north of the trail head cul de sac (just north of Skiff Mountain Road) at the south end, or south of the Dawn Hill rd/River road intersection at the north end.

The only road route that can be ridden on bikes or cars from the south trail head would be Skiff Mountain Road (turns into Modley Road), right turn onto S Ellsworth road, then a left turn onto Northrup Road to CT RT 4, turn south to reach the other end of River Road. This is a fairly hilly and long ride, it may be easier doing Rt 7 on the Eastern side, or a Railroad track passage along the river on the East side, but it probably won't be suitable for bikes.

Images

along the AT, between the lot in kent off skiff mtn road and the other end at dawn hill road mentioned above, it is definitely not a road nor suited for bike traffic. it's fully trail/the green tunnel and fragile marsh and meadow lands . having done it last summer, it would be quite a shock and potentially dangerous for a hiker to have a bike coming down the corridor - it can get quite narrow at times, especially when leafed out. it is also posted at either end for foot traffic only. we used backcountry outfitters to shuttle as back to the start from rt 4 and spent a night at the wonderful silver hill campsite.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Teacher, let me know when you are doing the Housatonic section. If I'm around, I'd be glad to shuttle you (or join you).

Images

I plan to do it car to car with a friend this Sunday, so problem solved for me. Looking forward to seeing this beautiful stretch of trail.

Images

PS: Hi Teacher - judging from old USGS maps at the UNH Topos site, the trail corridor north of the gate in Kent may at one time have been road, but that's a long, time ago. Just as it's not kosher for ppl to hike old logging road stretches of the A.T. on mountainsides, I agree with the advice others have given here that the gated-off northward four miles of the river walk is for feet only.

Images

Not appropriate to bike, that is. Hiking's ok, I think. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    PS: Hi Teacher - judging from old USGS maps at the UNH Topos site, the trail corridor north of the gate in Kent may at one time have been road, but that's a long, time ago. Just as it's not kosher for ppl to hike old logging road stretches of the A.T. on mountainsides, I agree with the advice others have given here that the gated-off northward four miles of the river walk is for feet only.
    I'm sure it was a road at one time. In fact, as I recall, there are remains of a bridge closer to Cornwall Bridge that once spanned the Housatonic in section where you now walk.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Images

I just hiked this section last week. It is dry and there is no mud to speak of. North of the Gate at the cul-de-sac, the trail undulates slightly. It is a most pleasant walk. The northern section pops out on to a mowed field that is stunning. Two cars are the way to go if an out an back is out of the question. There is one brook crossing that with the high water last week required some delicate footwork on a log. There was evidence that a vehicle (truck or tractor had driven/mowed the roadway. Loved it.

Images

there were once 2 bridges - one by the south gate at north kent road and one farther up known as swifts bridge. both were washed away by a big storm in the 30s i believe and the trail was re-routed west of the river in this area to its current route, whereas it previously went past kent falls. this is a lovely walk. the first section my wife and I did together since we were teens, and was a great way to get back into backpacking before any real climbing.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Swift's Bridge! That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks, Linus.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Migrating Bird View Post
    I just hiked this section last week. It is dry and there is no mud to speak of. North of the Gate at the cul-de-sac, the trail undulates slightly. It is a most pleasant walk. The northern section pops out on to a mowed field that is stunning. Two cars are the way to go if an out an back is out of the question. There is one brook crossing that with the high water last week required some delicate footwork on a log. There was evidence that a vehicle (truck or tractor had driven/mowed the roadway. Loved it.
    Did the hike today with a friend, two cars, SOBO. What a beautiful stretch of trail. And thanks to my friend's eagle eye, we each saw our first bear - on the east back at the confluence of Kent Falls Brook and the Housy. We watched the young adult bear, I'd guess two years old based on its size, putter about looking, perhaps, for fish for about three minutes and snapped a lot of pics. We saw no tags or markings on the bear from our distance of perhaps 250 feet. We also saw numerous waterfowl - ducks and others. Songbirds and early spring flowers were popping their heads up in hopes that winter's icy grip is now fully released. I now lack about 9.5 miles of CT's A.T. and am, more or less, 1.5 miles shy of 100 miles of A.T. hiked at least once. Progress!

The tricky brook crossing was still tricky - looks like it needs to be cleared of some brush so the water stops backing up behind it - that seems to be the main problem.

++ New Posts ++