WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default DIY freeze dried meals

I have been experimenting with DIY freeze dried meals and have had great success so far.

I was wondering if you all have preference for condiments/hard to find products between pack it gourmet or minimus?

naturalred.wordpress.com

Images

I'd like to know how you go about freeze drying your food. Also, what meals have you freeze dried so far?

Images

Are you actually freeze drying a meal, or are you buying individual freeze dried ingredients and putting them together to make a meal?
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I am buying individual ingredients and putting them together to make a meal. The only thing I am not using in a dried form is chicken and tuna(we are not beef eaters). I have just been adding the foil pouches to the actual cooked meal and it has been working perfect.

So far I have made a chicken couscous meal, lemon pepper/dill tuna and rice,mexican rice and chicken, and a curry chicken and rice meal.....all with fire roasted veggies added. I have yet to try something with pasta,just ran out of time at them moment.

Although, I am looking for a good supplier for single serving olive oils and such. Hence the question above.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

naturalred.wordpress.com

Images

the single serving olive oil packets are way too expensive to buy. if you have a 'food saver' vacuum sealing thing, you can make your own - make small pouches and leave the top open - seal 3 sides - 2 long, one short, fill with how much olive oil you want, then place the puches in a coffee cup (or other cup) in the freezer, the oil will 'freeze' - not rock solid, but enough that you can then seal the top edge of the pouch. try to be careful that when you pour the olive oil into the pouch that it doesn't dribble down the neck of the pouch. I have done this in the past quite successfully.

For olive oil packets look at minimus. $.40 per packet. probably a little pricey if you are ordering just a few. If you frequent subway, ask for two or three at checkout. they will add up over time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

I was not aware that Subway had olive oil packets. We will start asking for them now when we visit a Subway.

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    the single serving olive oil packets are way too expensive to buy. if you have a 'food saver' vacuum sealing thing, you can make your own - make small pouches and leave the top open - seal 3 sides - 2 long, one short, fill with how much olive oil you want, then place the puches in a coffee cup (or other cup) in the freezer, the oil will 'freeze' - not rock solid, but enough that you can then seal the top edge of the pouch. try to be careful that when you pour the olive oil into the pouch that it doesn't dribble down the neck of the pouch. I have done this in the past quite successfully.
    What a great tip...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by naturlred View Post
    I was not aware that Subway had olive oil packets. We will start asking for them now when we visit a Subway.

Thank You
    Subway olive oil packets are only 10% olive oil. They are 90% canola oil. At least that is the way they are in Maine.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

If you're spending to buy freeze dried ingredients, an extra $.40 for the minimus olive oil isn't going to change the equation much.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Subway olive oil packets are only 10% olive oil. They are 90% canola oil. At least that is the way they are in Maine.
    Thanks for pointing that out. Was not aware until I just went and looked.

Cheer

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Country View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out. Was not aware until I just went and looked.

Cheer
    Easy to be confused when they put giant letters saying olive oil and tiny letters saying canola oil. They are trying to confuse.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Here is a series of articles I did on making healthier DIY trail meals. I like to use a mix of home dehydrated and freeze-dried foods. Can't live without Freeze dried cheddar cheese! YUM!

http://demeters-dish.blogspot.com/20...thier-and.html
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thank you, I can't wait to check it out.

naturalred.wordpress.com

You can also put your olive oil in straws if you really want them to be single serving. Heat one end of a plastic drinking straw over a candle. Then squash the end with a needle nose pliers. Put oil in using a dropper (children's medicine syringe) and then seal the open end. That being said if you are going for more than a night or two, why not get a small flip top bottle ( the kind you find in travel sections at Target).

Cool

Nalgene 4 ounce flip top bottle. Personally tested by me. Filled with olive oil. Inverted. 1 week. No leaks. Also available in a 2 ounce size. Food safe.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/t...uctId=10006405

635031FlipTopRoundLeakproofBtl4oz_x.jpg

Bon apetite!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

PS:
    Just read post #15. Nalgene containers do as claimed. They do not leak. At $2.00 each, made in the USA, why would you shop for anything else?

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++