WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by mPalozzola01 View Post
    Well from one photo snob to another I'm contemplating taking my d810 and 24-70/2.8 totals out about 5 lbs between the 2x... I'm so tossed up about it but I have a lot of time to think and plan. Also alot of time to see what the tech in mirror less does because right now nothing compares in capability to the 810
    I took my D700 and 24-70 into the woods ONCE. It's too heavy and cumbersome for my style of hiking and takes up way too much space in my pack; which is a shame because there is definitely no substitute for a full frame DSLR when it comes to quality photos. I still love it though for car camping and short day hikes.

I've been a nikon guy for years but I'm seriously considering switching to canon. I really like my girlfriends 60D and with the 5DSR right around the corner, my interest is piqued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Splitter View Post
    I took my D700 and 24-70 into the woods ONCE. It's too heavy and cumbersome for my style of hiking and takes up way too much space in my pack; which is a shame because there is definitely no substitute for a full frame DSLR when it comes to quality photos. I still love it though for car camping and short day hikes.

I've been a nikon guy for years but I'm seriously considering switching to canon. I really like my girlfriends 60D and with the 5DSR right around the corner, my interest is piqued.

I need to get the pack I'm interested in and see if the camera can even safely fit. The 700 is similar in size to the 810... how many L would u say are sacrifice do between the body and lens?

Images

I normally use either a film or digital SLR. Digital, either a D5100 for hiking or D7100 other times. Recently I tried a Ricoh GR for hiking the JMT. LOVED the results with this very light, compact option. APS-C sensor size (huge for a small P&S), DNG (RAW) file capabilities, full manual controls, Built in neutral density filter, multiple crop modes, no optical low pass filter, dual axis electronic level, and fantastic user interface. Great little camera.
    Last edited by Lyle; 05-22-2015 at 23:47.

My DSLR camera won't fit in any of my packs usually, so I use a fanny pack around the main pack to hold the camera. The fanny pack has a pocket deep enough the back can stay open and the camera will not bounce or fall out and can be zipped up and covered with the pack cover if it rains. Perhaps the best feature is I can move the fanny pack around the pack so I can reach the camera rather easily.

Quote Originally Posted by mPalozzola01 View Post
    I need to get the pack I'm interested in and see if the camera can even safely fit. The 700 is similar in size to the 810... how many L would u say are sacrifice do between the body and lens?
    Probably about 15L. If I put my 28-300 on it saves a little length. If I don't end up switching over to Canon I may consider buying a 24-85 to save weight and length. I've also considered buying some prime lenses, one wide angle and one 55mm ish, that would save a lot of weight and room as with my 24-70 I often find my self either shooting it at 24 or in the 50-70 range.

Every time I haul my D700 into the mountains I swear its the last time but then I get home and look at my images and decide its worth it. Compare them to my cell phone shots and its night and day. I print a lot of my images so that's a major factor for me. If all you want is thumbnails for Facebook then a cell phone might cut it. I'm a photographer first, hiker second. I have to have complete control of shutter speed and aperture to be happy.

I did find a setup I really like for my DSLR. Its the Thinktank Digital Holster with the shoulder straps. Its got some nice adjustability. You can wear it high up on your chest if you're climbing steep stuff or down low closer to your waist. It has storage for lens cleaning gear. It will extend to fit my 70-300. What I like most is that its always right there when I need it. I find I create more images as a result. I'm a lot less likely to dig it out of my pack for some shots.
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even know to ask.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++