WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24
    The other white meat

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Brownstone View Post
    Trail name: TBD
    Direction: NOBO
    Start date: June 5

Yes, i know this is late. No, i do not know whether i will for sure be able to finish in time. Yes, i intend on trying. Let me know if you have experience starting this late and / or if you are planning to do so this year!
    What type of mileage are you planning? Going NOBO, you'll need to be cognizant that Katahdin is usually closed to hiking in October. But then that's just the last bit and may not matter to you if it's all about the journey.

AT
    NOBO
    May 15th
    Yes

It is a late start, but I hope to make Katahdin by early September. I am a retired Marine and I am thru-hiking for the challenge, the enjoyment, and to raise money for the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund. Hope to see everyone on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by show me the monkey View Post
    What type of mileage are you planning? Going NOBO, you'll need to be cognizant that Katahdin is usually closed to hiking in October. But then that's just the last bit and may not matter to you if it's all about the journey.
    I'm planning to average about 20 miles/day over the course of the trip (not necessarily at the onset, but hopefully relatively close). Figure that puts me on top of Katahdin by the end of September - with a little room to spare if i spill over into the first week of October. Have you done a similar timeline?

Trail Name: Long John
    Direction: Sobo (Maine to Georgia)

Estimated Start Date: June 6th
    Approach Trail: Yes; Katahdin Stream Campground
    Any additional info that you want the world to know: I am hearing impaired, reads lips. Looking forward to meeting everyone on the trail.

The other white meat

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Brownstone View Post
    I'm planning to average about 20 miles/day over the course of the trip (not necessarily at the onset, but hopefully relatively close). Figure that puts me on top of Katahdin by the end of September - with a little room to spare if i spill over into the first week of October. Have you done a similar timeline?
    Sorry, I haven't. All of my thru-hikes always started in early April/late March. With a 20 mile/day avg., you will probably miss most of the bubble until your last month, but hostels should still be open.

Trail name: no name for now
    Est. Start: May 8th or 9th
    Approach trail: No

I'm not sure what to say here so: I love my dogs. My favorite color is purple, sometimes. I'm a student so I'm hoping to be back before fall semester however my thru-hike is my 1st priority (FINALLY!). Also, cilantro is awesome.

Are you planning zero days? How many miles are you planning to average per day? I'm trying to complete my hike in less than 100 days and I'm really interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhoward View Post
    Are you planning zero days? How many miles are you planning to average per day? I'm trying to complete my hike in less than 100 days and I'm really interested.
    Look for a guy on Facebook and YouTube called "Following Bigfoot". He is doing a 100 day hike. He started a week ago and has maintained 20 mile days and is even starting later in the morning and finishing relatively early.

Wow! Thank you so much!

Journal Entries

Trail Name : K.O.G.
    Start Date: 5/5/2016
    Approach trail: No

Trail name: I do not have one yet!
    Direction: SOBO
    Start Date: June 2nd
    Approach: Yep.

I wish tomorrow were June 2nd.

Trail Name: Bambi
    Start Date: May 13th
    Approach Trail: Yes

Trail Name: Elsa
    Est. Start Date: May 9th
    Approach Trail: I walked 6 miles up the service road

Trail Name 12feetwalking which includes Big Mama, Zaboo, Diva, Hubbanator, LittleZebra, and Jackrabbit Jr
    Direction NOBO
    Estimated Start Date 5/1/2016
    Approach Trail - NO!
    any additional info that you want the world to know: Started out as an unsupported thru hike for our family of 6, but youngest had broken her foot exactly 8 weeks prior to push off date. Got on the mountain, did great, but lots of pain after 2 days. Zoomed home, took 2 days to reconfigure, and are back on the trail as a supported thru hike for the Fab4 (Zaboo, Diva, Hubbanator, and LittleZebra) with BigMama and Jackrabbit Jr climbing up CRAZY USFS roads in The Beast (a Toyota Sienna that has no idea what's happened to it or why it's left the beauty of paved roads...). Currently, Fab4 just went past Bland, VA.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mhoward View Post
    I hate to say it but I think you are dreaming if you can do it in 100 days. That's 21.895 miles a day. That's even if you take NO ZERO DAYS!!!!!!!

Just wanted to report that I made it from Springer to Luray VA (931 miles) before being forced off the trail for an injury. I started with the trail name Helo, but ended up with Big Bird. Planning on returning and hiking NOBO on 1 April 2017 to finish up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireplug View Post
    I hate to say it but I think you are dreaming if you can do it in 100 days. That's 21.895 miles a day. That's even if you take NO ZERO DAYS!!!!!!!
    Bigfoot did it this year in exactly 100 days with a handful of zeros thrown in. He has a YouTube channel called Following Bigfoot.

Trail name: Nailgun
    Direction, South to north
    Start: 3/13/16, finish 8/30/16
    Approach trail: yes

Finished!!

Bigfoot did it in 100 d exactly and posted his progress on Utube, it's called Follow Bigfoot.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24
++ New Posts ++