WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Reflections

Default Reflections

Warning-may contain useless drivel,proceed at your own risk. Since my son and hiking partner would not graduate from the University of Iowa until May 15th,and I had an obligation in Orlando on August 6th,I knew a thru hike was not possible. But we could go from Springer to Harpers Ferry. And so we did. What did I learn? Lots of things,of course. I learned that lots of people leave garbage and food in places it does not belong.I was really shocked by that,because I assumed that anyone willing to endure the hardships of the trail would only do so if they loved the wilderness as much as I do,and would therefore treat the forest with respect. We met a 70 year old female volunteer carrying a bag stuffed full of other peoples garbage. By far.the saddest day on the trail. I also learned that for the most part,hikers are the nicest,most helpful people I will ever meet. Yes,there were some that were rude,crude and just not nice,but not many.I learned that rain sucks when it lasts for hours,and waterproof boots really aren't. I learned that Brother Tom and Miss Janet are like a gift from heaven when they are in the right place at the right time.I learned that bears are really not that big of a deal,at least not the bears we met. I learned that you don't have to be in great shape to hike,it just makes it easier.I learned that Jenny Craig cannot compete with the AT when it comes to a weight loss program. I learned that after a long time on the trail,against all odds,my son and I had nothing to fight about.I learned that whoever invented plumbing and hot showers should be damn proud of themselves.I learned that before this trip,I was a hiker,but after 1022 miles,I feel like a HIKER,and that feels pretty damn good. I also learned the AT is addictive,and if I live long enough,I will find a way to get from Harpers to Maine. Slowtrek

Journal Entries
    Images

Sounds like you had a great hike with your son.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Nice post. Sounds like you learned a lot. Hardly "useless drivel" at all.

Great reflections. Now could you tell every person selling shoes in outfitter stores about the non-waterproof boot thing.

Journal Entries
    Images

Nice post. Nice to have you join the club.
    Grampie-N->2001

Thanks for the kind words,and yes,I had a wonderful hike with my son. Slowtrek

Images

Thanks for sharing the very condensed version of what I imagine would fill a book, it was good to hear that overall you had a positive experience.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Here's to keepin' it real.

One more thought,and advice to future hikers-I now wish I had contact info for all the truly awesome hikers we met along the way. At the time,we were too busy or tired to even think of getting a phone number or email address,sure wish I had. These are the people that shared our adventure,and it would be nice to check in with them now.....

Very nice. Im glad you had the opportunity with your son.

Nice post Slow Trek! I'm with you on keeping up with the other hikers met along the way. To me the views, vistas, and physical accomplishments and failures are just a small part of the trail. The people I met and still hope to meet, they make up the bigger part of the trail and the memories I have of it.

Around here—based on my analysis of the garbage I find—the vast majority of the trash is not left by thru hikers or long distance hikers, but by day hikers and locals with easy access to AT trails and shelters. Not a whole bunch of thru hikers are carrying Coleman propane canisters, lol!

Default Good way to contact people

Check out the Hiker Yearbook published by Odie. All who participated have photos, trail names, and contact info. Invaluable resource. Willow NOBO16
    [QUOTE=Slow Trek;2106947]One more thought,and advice to future hikers-I now wish I had contact info for all the truly awesome hikers we met along the way. At the time,we were too busy or tired to even think of getting a phone number or email address,sure wish ...

++ New Posts ++