WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Tim and Helen
    Flip from Harper's Ferry
    4/15 (ish) weather permitting

My wife and I are section hikers and annual Katahdin climbers that are finally getting on the trail for a thru-hike. Due to the popularity of the trail, we've decided to do a flip-flop to ease the stress on the trail.

Journal Entries
    Images

Trail name: tinman
    Direction: nobo
    Estimated start date: last few days in Feb/first few days in March
    Approach trail: NO
    Been training on Smoky Mountains-dislocated left artificial hip (right hip/right reverse shoulder replacements/spine fusion for half of spine too) on top of Mt. LeConte after Rainbow Falls hike up there. 36 hours wait for airevac. Nonetheless- physical therapy- sat phone - and lots of practice hikes/camping will hopefully have me ready...plus my beautiful super hiking wife is a doctor! Tinman fits since all this internal hardware might as well be tin

Trail Name Safeway
    Direction NOBO
    Start Date Fe29th
    Approach Trail Yes

Images

Trail name: Franktopia
    Direction: NOBO
    Estimated start date: 3/1
    Approach trail: yes

Anyone from the Pittsburgh, PA area want to join me? [email protected]

Hope to see you on the trail

Journal Entries
    Images

Trail name: I haven't been given one yet. Until such time, I'll use my forum name BrewerBob.

Direction: Bit of a purist I'm afraid so I will be NOBO.

ETA: sometime between March '16 and March '36. Approached the manager at work about taking a 6 month leave of absence. It didn't sound very encouraging but he was going to look into it. I'll need to earn a living somehow when I get back. Having a job I can go right back into would be nice. Especially since I'll be using retirement money to pay the mortgage while away.

Approach Trail: See comment about purist; of course!!!

Additional info: When we all get stranded in a shelter Gilligan's Island style whatever shelter I'm in will have beer so stay close!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TheWildMoose View Post
    Trail Name: I don't have a trail name yet, however my name is Austin Braswell.
    Direction: North Bound, GA-ME.

Estimated Start Date: April 1st.
    Approach Trai: Yes

I cannot wait to see what magic the trail holds for me! I am graduating college in December and I figured this would be the perfect time for me to finally do this. I hope to make many new friends and see places of this country I have never witnessed before. Feel free to add me on Facebook if you'd like to link up at some point.

Happy Trails!
    Just up the road from me. Hopefully I'll have the balls to ditch work even if they say they can't keep a position open for me for when I get back. Of course even if they didn't I may just jump to the PCT, CDT, or one of the other long distance trails and never come back to "civilized" life.

Trail Name - None yet
    Direction - NOBO

Estimated Start Date - April 22 2016
    Approach Trail - Yes

I graduated college May 2015 and don't have further school/a real job lined up yet. I work for a bicycle shop/outdoors store outside GSMNP in TN right now and plan to hike part of the trail with my Golden Retriever mix, Biscuit. I want to do the trail to clear my head and have time to figure out exactly what I want to do with my life. Right now I'll be hiking solo other than the dog.

Trail name: None yet although I have a friend who has proposed labeling me with "ziggy" because when we swim in the lake I go back and forth to get more distance to her straight line. For that I threaten to refer to her as Katz.

Direction:I'm hoping to start mid March/beginning of April and do a "Cool Breeze" except I will hike the first section south to north from Roanoke area to southern CT late June, Hike from Katahdin south, reaching southern Connecticut end of August/ early September. Hike from Troutville south, ending at Springer early November to mid November.

Estimated start Date: April 1ish

Approach trail: N/A

Don't have a trail name yet, so Jamison will work
    Doing a flip flop starting in Harper's Ferry northbound, then back to go southbound
    Starting May 15,2016 or so

Hiking to raise money for Extra-life.org, which benefits my local children's hospital, The Barbara Bush Children's Hospital in Portland, ME. Blogging about it on appalachiantrials.com

Trail Name - None. Zora for now, not my real name.
    Direction - NOBO

Estimated Start Date - really not sure. I'll be posting and reading a lot here in next months to find out!
    Approach Trail - probably not

I plan this to end my 1.5ish year, after university (again) - changing careers - figuring out what to do with my life trip.
    No lomg trails yet though plan to do Annapurna in November, right now doing shorter treks in the 'stans.

I plan to travel hack this (since I seem to be much better at this than getting actual jobs) so I can afford it. I'll blog this part of it at least and maybe try to find a sponsor. Ideal would be to walk for a charity. We'll see...

Trail Name: Pages
    Direction NOBO
    Start date: April 1
    Approach: Highly doubt it
    Second attempt, this time solo. Currently training for a marathon, cross training with pack, and dropping at least 7 pounds off my pack weight.

Trail Name none for now
    Direction Flip flop starting NOBO from Harpers Ferry

Estimated Start Date May 1

Interested in connecting with people doing a flip flop especially from Harpers Ferry.

Also trail nameless for now, we too are getting ready for our 2016 flip flop! You sound like us but younger. Planning, planning now that we have convinced our children we are serious. Hope to see you on the trail.

working with "homeless" for now. see you noboers early to mid march at the falls!

Hi. Were will you all be starting? I am planning to flip flop from Harpers Ferry around May 1. We are in the same age range.

Trail name : Don't have one yet but have one in mind.

Direction: NOBO

Estimated start date: Between Feb 28th and March 4th

This will be my first attempt at hiking the entire AT. I have been planning, studying, training etc for this trip for awhile. It's really all I think about, which can be a little overwhelming. See everyone on the trail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trail Name: Undecided at this time - but have a couple I like
    Direction: NOBO - GA to ME but may consider a flip flop from Harper's Ferry

Estimated Start Date: Shooting for March 24, 2016
    Approach Trail - yes or no: Will be doing a couple of shakeout hikes from Springer before I go and will do the approach trail then.

Foot injury postponed my AT Thru attempt in March of 2015. Working hard to get into shape, shake out gear and prepare for the mental challenge ahead. Hope to have the adventure of a lifetime and make a lot of friends doing it.

Trail Name: Huck
    Direction: NOBO, considering flip flopping

Estimated Start Date: 3/15/2016
    Approach Trail - no
    any additional info that you want the world to know:

I attempted a thru hike in 2015 but had to quit after just 100 miles due to an injury. One of the most difficult and disappointing decisions of my life. My first night on the trail, I was talking with a gentleman from Germany. It was his second attempt after having to leave the trail the previous year due to an injury. As it turned out, my hike ended at the same spot as his and with the same injury. ***! But to no avail, I will return in 2016 wiser and more knowledgeable...and will avoid talking to any Germans! Just kidding, one of the most interesting aspects of the trail is meeting people from all over the world and hearing their stories.

Thanks Mountain Squid. Look forward to seeing you again at the Springer parking area.

See you on the trail.

Huck

Let the trail name you. It's part of the adventure!

Huck

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++