WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Trail Name: Google
    Direction:
    NOBO
    Estimated Start Date:
    March 16th
    Approach Trail:
    For sure!

Made possible thanks to the greatest wife on earth!

I've dreamed of this all my life.

My only regret is that my brother can't get away to join me...

Trail Name - I have no idea, but I've got nothing but time to figure it out. Maybe Neels On Wheels? Maybe just Neely?

Direction - SOBO. For several reasons, but mainly just out of necessity concerning my schedule. I'm sure that's the case with others as well.

Estimated Start Date - Between 28AUG - 01SEP of 2016.

Approach Trail - Unknown

Additional Information - 31 years old. Born and raised in Fort Worth, Texas. Went to a military college in Vermont (Norwich). Love me some New England. Got a degree in Business and went into the Army as an Infantry Officer. Served seven years to include several trips to the "Stan Land" and one to Iraq. Left the Army in December of 2013. Transition was difficult and I spent the better part of a year taking pre-requisite courses for a career that I finally realized was just a sound plan that I thought up in my military mind before I got out of the Army. As of March this year I'm tackling my Masters in Business. Hence the September start next year. I'm single, not married, no kids, so what better time to knock it out than right after finishing school? Before I'm sucked into a career and have to put my big boy pants back on.

I have grand ambitions of thru hiking the trail, but I'm also a realist and I know that any number of things could prevent that from happening. Just looking forward to researching, planning, training, networking, and attempting the journey. I kind of see it as a last patrol. Something tells me the experience might help me to clear some stuff out of the basement and get me ready to rock the real world again. Who knows. Looking forward to every bit of it.

Cheers!

trail name: ....
    Direction: NOBO
    Est. Start: March 1st
    Approach trail: yes

Registered User Serendipity0513's Avatar

(n.b. This profile is for my boyfriend and I)

Trail Name: None yet, Renée & John for now.
    Date: Late March
    Approach trail: Still deciding.

This is a lifelong dream of his. As for me, I've been thinking about doing this over the past 5 months or so. We are both very excited about it!

"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together."

Trail Name: waiting for the trail to find out

Estimated Start Date: Mid March
    Approach Trail: Yep
    Any additional info that you want the world to know: I have wanted to do this for over 10 years..after going to college, having a handful of career changes and working in the corporate world, I am finally ready to give it all up and make some big changes in my life.

I'm SOBO as well. Should be starting about one month behind you.

Disregard previous message. I thought I was replying to someone else's message lol.

Trail name: Waiting for that one
    Start date: Leaving Indiana March 17th, staying at hiker hostel, start approach trail on the 18th, and hopefully take my first steps on the AT on the 19th.
    Approach trail: Most definitely

some additional info, i`ve had a couple **** eating jobs the last couple years and I feel I need to re-evaluate the direction I want my life to go in and just time to think and live life for once instead of the same crap day after day.

Trail Name-- Currently Awaiting
    Direction-- North Bound

Estimated Start Date-- April 11th to avoid major crowds
    Approach Trail -- yes

I've been planning this adventure since I was 15. My family took us kids on a vacation to GSMNP where I talked to two thru hikers atop clingmans dome. I've been hooked ever since. Currently working on a cruise ship as a lighting tech and saving for the trail and student loans as I'm fresh out of college.
    One of my friends might do it with me, depends on his financial situation. I'm prepared to do it solo though. I'm just ready to experience the trail community, nature, and one hell of a journey. Can't wait to meet everyone! Happy Hiking!!!

I'm leaving April 11th! I'm looking at going solo, maybe two weeks with my father if he can make it out. Hope to see you there! Sounds like you've done it before. Thoughts for a first timer?

Cheers!

I just graduate OU like two months ago! Congrats! What was your major? I know so many OSU kids right now.

Name : no trail names yet just Brad and Bettinna for now

Start date: Mid February

Approach trail: Yes

Additional information- I am soon to retire, my husband already has and we have been preparing for the last couple of years to realize our dream of hiking the AT. We talked about it many years ago when we married but jobs, kids, etc made a thru hike impossible. Just getting our gear together and taking prep hikes to get as ready as we can !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

I just booked my AMTRAK ticket from Atlanta to Gainesville. Should be in Gainesville at 9PM on 03/06/16. Where to stay?? I am guessing there will be plenty of hotels in the area but will see if the hostel will pick up that late. I hope so as I would rather give my money to the folks helping out the hikers, and to visit of course. Retirement, December 12th.

Images

Trail Name- Jake the Fake
    Direction- NOBO

Estimated Start Date- April 1
    Approach Trail - Yes

Originally from NJ, I have lived in Houston, TX a long time. I have been wanting to take a crack at the AT for many many years. I am a long time outdoorsman but I have not done a lot of long-distance hiking. I have several concerns one of them being the crowds next year. It's funny when people say wow you're going to be alone for 5 to 6 months I just laugh! I am addressing all other concerns that I have now which include physical preparation, mental preparation and buying enough quality stuff to make sure I don't go cold. My target date is April at one but I'm contemplating moving that up a week to try to avoid the craziness.

Trail Name- none..yet!
    Direction- NOBO
    Estimated Start Date- First week of March
    Approach Trail- yes

From Chicago, IL- still so many months of waiting to go but I am getting so excited already. Can't wait to start! I am leaving a dead end job here in Chi and finally taking the time to do something real that I've always wanted to do.

Journal Entries

Trail Name: Tear Drop

Estimated Start Date: March 1, 2016
    Approach Trail - Yes
    any additional info that you want the world to know: I attempted a thru-hike this past winter TWICE as well as attempted the Florida Trail. This is gonna be the year. I look forward to seeing everyone of you out there.
    Tear Drop 2016 - This thing will NOT beat Me!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TearDrop1776 View Post
    Trail Name: Tear Drop

Estimated Start Date: March 1, 2016
    Approach Trail - Yes
    any additional info that you want the world to know: I attempted a thru-hike this past winter TWICE as well as attempted the Florida Trail. This is gonna be the year. I look forward to seeing everyone of you out there.
    My closest friend sent me a random text yesterday (that I actually really needed, but I have no idea how he knew that was the perfect moment to send it!)

The message simply said, "Abandoning your goal over a set back is like slashing your other three car tires just because one went flat."

That quote vividly comes to mind (comes to life?) after reading your post and checking out your latest videos. You really should have posted this in that "Inspiration" thread I started on here because your passion and your commitment are the closest thing I've seen in years that represents my own thoughts and feelings about the trail and the wonderful community that populates and maintains it.

Hope to meet up with you out there!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by g00gle View Post
    My closest friend sent me a random text yesterday (that I actually really needed, but I have no idea how he knew that was the perfect moment to send it!)

The message simply said, "Abandoning your goal over a set back is like slashing your other three car tires just because one went flat."

That quote vividly comes to mind (comes to life?) after reading your post and checking out your latest videos. You really should have posted this in that "Inspiration" thread I started on here because your passion and your commitment are the closest thing I've seen in years that represents my own thoughts and feelings about the trail and the wonderful community that populates and maintains it.

Hope to meet up with you out there!
    Bro, I really REALLY appreciate that man. Keep following the inspiration....The trail is OURS in 2016. There are gonna be a lot of people out there because of the Bill Bryson movie. I really appreciate you looking at my videos man and hope that we can meet up on the trail. I will be starting March 1st as you know and hopefully you will be out there too! Thank you to both you and your wife for watching my videos.
    Tear Drop 2016 - This thing will NOT beat Me!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw

Journal Entries
    Images

The spreadsheet is up and ready for viewing. You can find it here or from the homepage, left panel, click on WhiteBlaze Thru-Hikers and then Class of 2016. (The page looks a little jumbled right now, but scroll down to see the spreadsheet.)

Let me know if there are any updates, omissions , or errors. Good Luck and Have Fun next year!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

maintenance videos

Thanks, mountain squid! That makes a great reference. Already found some folks close to my area that I will message and see if they want to try some shake-down hikes later this year. Much appreciated!

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++