WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Late March VA/WVA AT 3-4 nighter?

My best friend and I have some time the third week in March and would like to find a Virginia section to hike.

I know snow storms can happen at that time of year, but generally, what conditions should we expect between Manassas Gap and Harper's Ferry?

We could drive further south, but we expect higher elevations south of there would mean more likelihood of snow...Although we have a fair amount of hiking experience, neither of us have done winter section hikes before and would prefer to avoid snow if possible.

We are open to other section hikes, if anyone has other suggestions (she would drive from southern Maryland, I'm coming from Pittsburgh)
    Thanks!

The weather is so variable that time of year it's impossible to tell. The 3d week of March is the tail end of winter so anything can happen. Some of the worst winter storms happen in late March due to the way weather fronts clash and the way the jet stream directs storms and moist air out of the Gulf. Your really not going to know what to expect until a few days before the trip, at which time you can do a "go-no go" decision.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

even when its nice out in march, winds can be very high, I'd be prepared to hike in winter conditions, wet rainy winds, and hope for good weather,it's very possible to get the best weather conditions too.I'd start putting a plan together 2-3 weeks in advance, with a bail out plan for where to hike,check the weather and packing for the weather probably wait till 2-3 days in advance

Thanks for your feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Pittsburgh hiker

Hey LizB

I'm from the burgh and have open time late June,July August. Will you be hiking the AT during any of those times?
    I'll be driving from pgh as well Nd a newbie. Would appreciate any support or recommendations you have to offer

DebMo

++ New Posts ++