WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default No Milk ! No Problem

For many of the mac and cheese, Korrs they request milk and butter.

What have you all done,
    powered milk
    powered butter
    Olive oil

just plan water.

Please share, how did it taste?

http://www.knorr.com/product/detail/...bacon-macaroni

This is my supper every day on the trail. I freezer bag cook. I only pour water into the product. If I ever did use a milk substitute, it would be Nido. Perhaps I should try that.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Garlic
    Images

Just water.

Journal Entries

I might try that coffee whitener stuff since I commonly carry it.

Just water. I don't know what it's suppose to taste like with milk and butter, never made it that way since I only eat that stuff on the trail, never at home.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I occasionally take instant mashed potatoes that calls for milk. I've never tried it with only water. I've just always taken Carnation powdered milk. I long ago worked out how much powdered milk I needed per serving of mashed potatoes and use a gram scale to measure out the right amount. The potatoes also call for oil. I used to carry a tiny nalgee container with the amount of oil needed. Then I discovered buying olive oil in individual packets from http://www.minimus.biz/. I think it worked out to one olive oil packet per every two servings of potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I occasionally take instant mashed potatoes that calls for milk. I've never tried it with only water. I've just always taken Carnation powdered milk. I long ago worked out how much powdered milk I needed per serving of mashed potatoes and use a gram scale to measure out the right amount. The potatoes also call for oil. I used to carry a tiny nalgee container with the amount of oil needed. Then I discovered buying olive oil in individual packets from http://www.minimus.biz/. I think it worked out to one olive oil packet per every two servings of potatoes.
    Check out the potatoes in the pouches. I know I've seen one where the stove directions suggest milk, where the microwave ones only say water.

It is tolerable w/o powdered milk. It tastes better if you add a little Nido powdered milk. It took me a while to eat Mac & Cheese after I finished my thru-hike.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Nido is a great item to have and use in the place of milk. Gets you a lot of extra calories.

I have used water in this type of product before. Edible but not as good.

Journal Entries

I premix NIDO in my granola and dried pasta dinners. Just add water.

Its calories, and 150 cal/oz as well. Cant pass it up.

Nido powdered milk and dehydrated butter powder. If you can't find Nido, Walmart.com has it for a good price, and will ship free to home with a $50 order. I also started using it in my coffee and tea, and have really grown to like the flavor
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Journal Entries

NIDO is milk and it is wonderful. The word means 'nest' in Spanish. Nestle markets it to mothers in Latin America, and also to Latino immigrants here in the USA. So, here in Central Kentucky, an area that was not always a cosmopolitan utopia in the past, these days I can find NIDO's "Powdered Whole Milk" in the "Latin American Foods" sections of both our local Kroger's supermarket and also Walmart. The extra NIDO that I don't use backpacking gets consumed at home, especially on occasions when we have run out of liquid milk.

There are two types of NIDO, so pay attention to the labels on the containers. For backpacking I use the '"leche entero/powdered whole milk" rather than NIDO's special powdered formula that is marketed for consumption by young children. NIDO's fat makes it yummy, but also shortens the product's shelf life. That fat could potentially lead to spoilage if you store this otherwise perfect wonder food in caches that are subject to warm/hot temperatures for extended periods (think months).

When making mac and cheese, or Knorrs pasta dishes, I add both NIDO and olive oil.

++ New Posts ++