WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Was mainly worried about the rocky ground screwing up my lt wt sil nylon floor. I don't usually carry one on AT but usually on dirt...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Was mainly worried about the rocky ground screwing up my lt wt sil nylon floor. I don't usually carry one on AT but usually on dirt...

didnt hurt my cuben. Mostly either sandy or pine straw campsites.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I believe yosemite had a couple dozen bear incidents on JMT last year. Primarily people not securing containers properly. Out of a few thousand hikers its a low percentage. But its real.

You can expect bears at LYV and backpackers camp in yosemit. There are known backcountry bear areas to stay away from too. Lyell Canyon for instance in yosemite. Several others along JMT route.
    What are some of the known backcountry areas?

The whole idea is to have the canister away from your camp so as to minimize the chances of a bear encounter with you, not the canister... I have absolutely no idea why you would place anything on or around it to make noise. Place it so that it can't roll into a body of water, down a steep cliff etc. and get a good nights sleep.

As an aside, bears have no reason to be stealthy. If they are in your area you will most likely know it.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

During my hike last year, I heard of bear sightings at LYV, Sunrise Creek, Tuolumne, and Bear Creek. Everyone warned us to be careful in Vidette Meadow, but I didn't camp there. Most of those campsites with bear problems were more popular and heavily used sites. For example, there were probably 25 people camped in the first mile of Bear Creek after coming off Bear Ridge. I pushed on an extra mile or so for a less busy spot and had no bear activity, although I could hear them banging pots in the far distance.

Micro-bears are a different story..... Most established sites had mice.
    Last edited by Maui Rhino; 08-20-2015 at 01:21. Reason: Spelling
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Rhino View Post
    During my hike last year, I heard of bear sightings at LYV, Sunrise Creek, Tuolumne, and Bear Creek. Everyone warned us to be careful in Vidette Meadow, but I didn't camp there. Most of those campsites with bear problems were more popular and heavily used sites. For example, there were probably 25 people camped in the first mile of Bear Creek after coming off Bear Ridge. I pushed on an extra mile or so for a less busy spot and had no bear activity, although I could hear them banging pots in the far distance.

Micro-bears are a different story..... Most established sites had mice.
    With the plague...I'm more worried about the rodents than bears! My wife is giving me grief about my upcoming hike due to this damn plague!

Journal Entries

Preventative antibiotic therapy is possible

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

With the plague...I'm more worried about the rodents than bears! My wife is giving me grief about my upcoming hike due to this damn plague!
    Don't know what it looks like out there this year, but neither mice or bears where the issue when I hiked it...the smoke from a wildfire was the thing that almost derailed my trip.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Any tricks to using rocks instead if tent stakes...never had to do before..use lhg soling6. I assume cinch guy lines around smaller rock anchored by bigger rock as chalk to keep in place. With all the hard ground do most use a tyvek or poly ground sheet for tent or sleep pad if cowboy camping?
    I think I only had to do a rock or two on a guy line in maybe one camp spot in 20 nights out. Most areas have enough soil that you can pound your stakes into it. Some MSR Groundhog stakes and a nice flat rock worked great 99% of the time.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Any tricks to using rocks instead if tent stakes...never had to do before..use lhg soling6.
    My son's tent staked with rocks. 14452992241_0d599b2e43_k.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    My son's tent staked with rocks. 14452992241_0d599b2e43_k.jpg
    Sky looks clear...hopefully rough fire gets contained in next two weeks and or wind out of the east! I'm biting my nails!

Images

Keep it away from stream or hillsides. In theory bears won't mess with canisters because they don't get a reward so I suspect cases of bears playing canister football are few and far between.

In the west we normally put them 100 feet away from us. We also wrap them in reflective tape to be able to see them easier at night if we need to get into them.

After intense reading & searching, I think I found a way to not hang my food bag way up in a tree. I am a vertically at disadvantage of hanging a bear bag. 1. Put all food in an Opsak, 2. Put it in a Ursak lined with a titanium liner, 3. Tie the bag 100 ft away from tent site but just to a tree. I found a co custom cut titanium sheet .

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Keep it away from stream or hillsides. In theory bears won't mess with canisters because they don't get a reward so I suspect cases of bears playing canister football are few and far between.
    Agreed. Most nights my can is never even touched. There are a few local exceptions to this. Yellow Yellow, and now that she's gone, her offspring, will often patrol the Marcy Dam/Lake Colden corridor swatting whatever cans they come across knowing that theres a chance someone didnt latch the lid correctly. So what you said is key. As long as the bears dont get a reward, they generally wont spend much time on cans. But in areas where bears become used to getting into improperly latched cans, they get more Pele like in their behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by loswald73 View Post
    After intense reading & searching, I think I found a way to not hang my food bag way up in a tree. I am a vertically at disadvantage of hanging a bear bag. 1. Put all food in an Opsak, 2. Put it in a Ursak lined with a titanium liner, 3. Tie the bag 100 ft away from tent site but just to a tree. I found a co custom cut titanium sheet .

Except this thread is in the John Muir Trail forum, and Yosemite and Sequoia Natl Parks have not yet approved the Ursack for use in their parks.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Quote Originally Posted by loswald73 View Post

Except this thread is in the John Muir Trail forum, and Yosemite and Sequoia Natl Parks have not yet approved the Ursack for use in their parks.

www.misadventuregear.com

We had a bear try to mess with our can once, but it was wedged between some big rocks and I had put my cook pot on top of it. The noise from it knocking the cook pot out of the way was enough to scare it away and it wasn't getting the can, hell I had a hard time getting the bear can unwedged the next morning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++