WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for UL Hammock Tarp/Fly Advice

I've been a fair-weather hammock camper for ages, but I'm looking to do some more backpacking with my ENO doublenest this season. I had an ENO dryfly, but I want something simpler/lighter. I've been looking at Hennessy, Warbonnet, the OES MacCat, JRB...but I'm not sure of what will work with my hammock since it seems to be a bit longer than a fair number of others. Not looking for a palace - just something that'll keep the hammock dry for sleeping.

Thanks!

Have you checked out Eno's Profly?

Yeah, I actually just got them to update the inventory on the ProFly SilNylon. Looking for something >1 lb. Might go with that, but want to hear if folks have other preferences that work with ENOs!

Images

OES makes great tarps, but their customer service has been less than stellar the last couple years. Other than getting a ridiculously light weight cuben fiber tarp from hammock gear which will set you back a lot of money, you can't beat a Mamajamba (no doors) or a Superfly (doors) from Warbonnet.

Why not the edge?

But such a steep price tag on the cuben fibre!

Images

I haven't personally used an Edge. I just like the additional coverage that the bigger tarps provide in bad weather. Yep, cuben is expensive, but hammock gears tarps are great, if you can get past the sticker shock.

Actually your ENO is shorter than many others on the market.

Do you prefer a tarp with or without doors? For fair weather, I would second the Edge as a great choice. For more severe weather, (think wind and rain) consider the Superfly.

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/tarps/

Good Luck

Without doors. Glad to hear you like the Edge. Am mostly between the WB Edge and ENO ProFly SilNylon right now. Going for a simple, light, compact design.

Thanks for all the input!

cuben for ultralight

wilderness logics as the industry standard for lightweight sil tarps

ENO is typically not what I think when I'm thinking lightweight hammock systems, all though they have made some lighter stuff recently

Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Z packs hammock tarp with doors
    Whoopie slings
    alum. toggles
    1" tree savers

Should be around a pound.

I would do the research before I buy anything from OES. He's had a lot of customer complaints over the past few years. I think he may be getting better, but I'd still go to Hammockforums and read about OES service first.

BTW, the Mamajama is a great tarp, as are th CF tarps from HG and Zpacks. Wilderness Logics also makes some outstanding gear, and Jared over at Simply Light Designs (SLD) is now building tarps out of sil-poly upon request. Word is that sil poly does not sag like silnylon does, is just as light, and easier to work with. Also, I hear silpoly needs no catenary cuts to ensure tautness. My next diy tarp will be out of silpoly.

Quote Originally Posted by cia2106 View Post
    Without doors. Glad to hear you like the Edge. Am mostly between the WB Edge and ENO ProFly SilNylon right now. Going for a simple, light, compact design.

Thanks for all the input!
    I have owned both the ProFly and the Edge. If you start with the ProFly eventually you will likely own both as well. You could take the cheaper option, buy the Edge first and skip the ProFly entirely.

Good to know. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I have owned both the ProFly and the Edge. If you start with the ProFly eventually you will likely own both as well. You could take the cheaper option, buy the Edge first and skip the ProFly entirely.

yeah, wasn't thinking UL when i bought the hammock years ago, but it's treated me well so I don't see a need to replace it yet. we're going more-light-weight before UL. I'm a poor grad student, so replacing all my gear isn't terribly feasible!

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    cuben for ultralight

wilderness logics as the industry standard for lightweight sil tarps

ENO is typically not what I think when I'm thinking lightweight hammock systems, all though they have made some lighter stuff recently

For the price it's hard to beat the Wilderness Logic's Big Daddy. Lot's of coverage. I hiked the AT with it and never got wet.

Quote Originally Posted by cia2106 View Post
    yeah, wasn't thinking UL when i bought the hammock years ago, but it's treated me well so I don't see a need to replace it yet. we're going more-light-weight before UL. I'm a poor grad student, so replacing all my gear isn't terribly feasible!
    the beauty of hammocks are they are cheap and even cheaper to DIY. The ENO doublenest is very comfy, all though bulk and pretty hefty for lightweight hikers. If your trying to shave some weight on the cheap, may I suggest trying ew hammock? Dutch at dutchware.com is well respected. He sells argon, nylon, and poly hammocks in 10' and 11' lengths for less than 10oz with a real nice double sided stuff sack. I have a 10ft nylon d and it weighs like 8.5oz with stuff sack, two continuous loops, and a fixed structural ridgeline. Packs very small as well. All for $40. Then maybe go for a wilderness logics tadpole tarp. Roughly 12oz. Add some tree huggers and whoopie slings and you good to go at around 24-26oz. Fair price, lightweight, and quality. I know you said you weren't looking to change everything. Just some food for thought. Have fun hanging! If you want to really lighten up your suspension system, Dutch offers Kevlar tree straps and huggers. They are a little more money but insanely light and pack so small. I love mine. Kevlar huggers or straps, whoopie slings, and a set of Dutch whoopie hooks are a fantastic ul suspension. He's also working on a revised version of his speed hooks. If all this is jargin to you, head over to hammockforums.net or pm me. I'd be glad to help

Furthermore, on the topic of tarps. If you have a 10' hammock. Its typically best to go with a tarp with an 11' ridgeline. An 11' gets a 12' tarp etc.. I'm a convert to cuben and to me its worth the coin. But that's just me as I'm a thru hiker and an ultralight mindsetted gear head. But your talking 3-4x the cost over silnylon. If you want a really sweet simple lightweight tarp setup the following be my recommendation. I apologize if its out of your budget. You can always check the used market for a tarp! Here goes.

wilderness logics tadpole tarp
    mesh snake skins
    dutchware continuous ridgeline
    shock cord guyline tensioners
    zing it guy lines
    Dutch tarp worms
    Lawson titanium stakes

would be a pretty slick setup once you understand how it all works

if going lighter is an all around goal of yours. As I mentioned before, it may be best to use the tarp you have for a bit longer, and lighten up on its hardware and your hammock suspension first. Would be a cheaper upgrade until you get a greater feel for what you want out of your hammock/tarp.

sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to rid you of your beloved doublenest. My first was a singlenest. I thought it was the cats meow a few years ago. Then after handling and playing with some warbonnet/dutch/buttinasling gear, I learned a few things.

Still got those heavy carabiners on your doublenest? Continous loops will feel weightless compared to em

lo siento for derailing the thread

Hey FFE, I see you're in my neck of the woods do I'm gonna shoot you a pm to avoid hijacking this thread
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even know to ask.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++