WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 7 Awesome Things to Do in Duncannon, PA

Don't forget 3Bs ice cream

Oh boy, a cemetery and a old burned out bridge are highlights.
    Nearby Hershey PA has a LOT more to offer of course. (but no Doyle)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Garlic
    Images

I pretty much walked right through Duncannon without stopping except for lunch at a diner with 1970s prices (in 2004).

In a similar vein there's a billboard outside Deming, NM (an alternate trail town on the CDT) that reads "Explore Deming!" My hiking partner quipped, "...and let us know if you find anything!"
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I and others generally try to be positive about trail towns, its nice they are there and no one is going to get rich serving thru hikers so if the town can figure a way to survive why kick them.

Actually, the Sled Factory place looks fairly cool.

I would have definitely ranked 3B's above the winery too

In 2013 there was a great barber shop/beauty salon just a short walk down from the Doyle that cut my hair for $5.00......not sure how many of the younger thru's would be interested though.

Have any of you stayed at the Riverfront Campground in Duncannon? http://www.riverfrontcampground.com/
    I am planning a section hike starting in Duncannon, but I won't get up there until the evening without enough time to walk to a shelter/campsite.
    It will be my first night so don't need to stay in the Doyle or another hotel. It looks like they have basic tent sites, I'm just wondering if they are hiker friendly since on their site, it looks like they focus on people who will be fishing in the Susquehanna & Juniata Rivers. Thanks!

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I and others generally try to be positive about trail towns, its nice they are there and no one is going to get rich serving thru hikers so if the town can figure a way to survive why kick them
    Overall I found Ducannon to be a whole lot more hiker friendly than that city is the ATC Headquarters. At least that was my experience.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Nobody mentioned getting drunk in town as a highlight !!!
    Sorry! my AA sponsor made me post that.

Default Stay at 219!!!

Stay at 219! Mr. and Mrs. 219 are awesome and will let ya crash in their uard!

219? could you elaborate more please.

Quote Originally Posted by daveoleary View Post
    Have any of you stayed at the Riverfront Campground in Duncannon? http://www.riverfrontcampground.com/
    I am planning a section hike starting in Duncannon, but I won't get up there until the evening without enough time to walk to a shelter/campsite.
    It will be my first night so don't need to stay in the Doyle or another hotel. It looks like they have basic tent sites, I'm just wondering if they are hiker friendly since on their site, it looks like they focus on people who will be fishing in the Susquehanna & Juniata Rivers. Thanks!
    Sorry missed this before. Not the most upmarket type place (of course, nothing in Duncannon is). For tent campers a notable feature is the adjacent railway with trains rumbling around the curve screeching flanges all night.

Found a previous post about it here:
    According to PENNDOT (ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/Bur...eight/VolI.pdf) at 122 million gross tons annually that is the most heavily trafficked rail line segment in PA.

Averaged over an 8 hour night that's 222,831,050 pounds of railroad cars rumbling by, give or take a gram or two.

Ya don't get much sleep at the campground with the trains rumbling through. I've both eaten and stayed at The Doyle -- any "indoors" is preferable when the weather really sux. To this hiker, the food at 3B Ice Cream is a real treat.

Images

The Doyle is not going to break the bank, the folks are friendly and the food is good.

this is good timing. My first backpack trip a couple weekends ago was to this area. I am going back and hike west toward pine grove furnace state park. then my wife will join me for a couple days of day hiking. I am thinking we will stay the allenberry but hike up from duncannon to Hawk rock one day and to Peters Mountain a second day. sounds like some good opportunities for lunch/dinner in Duncannon

Journal Entries
    Images

Wonder why they didn't mention the 2-3 strip clubs & the "massage parlor"???
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

++ New Posts ++