WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Whats your favorite loop?

What is your favorite loop in the Smokies? Ive done a few of them and im looking for fresh ideas. Ideally 3-4 days. Here are the ones Ive done so far..

- Maddron Bald loop
    - Forney Creek loop
    - Gregory Bald loop
    - In and out of Hazel Creek

I haven't done all the loops but loved Forney creek to Jonas Creek and then to AT trail start and finish at Clings man dome that a 2 is nights ... Hazel Creek is next on my list....

Default Sterling/Cammerer

Mt. Sterling/Mt. Cammerer
    There are a few different ways to approach this loop and plenty of campsites/shelters to make it as many or as few nights as you like. Great chance to stay up high for a few days since most of this loop is on ridgelines. Great views from the Mt. Sterling fire tower at campsite 38 and from the firetower on top of Mt. Cammerer. The views from Balsam Mtn and the AT are good too, especially if you go in late fall or early spring.

Start at Big Creek
    Day 1 - Baxter Creek to campsite 38
    Day 2 - Mt. Sterling Ridge, Balsam Mtn to Tricorner Knob Shelter
    Day 3 - AT to Cosby Knob Shelter
    Day 4 - AT, Mt. Cammerer, Chestnut Branch back to Big Creek

You could make this loop shorter by just hiking out from Big Creek on the Big Creek Trail, stay at 37, then go up to the AT via Low Gap and return to Big creek via the AT, Mt. Cammerer, and Chestnut Branch.

You could make this loop longer by adding a visit down into Cataloochee valley to look for Elk and visit some of the historic buildings on the Little Cataloochee trail.

I love this area of the park.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

With just a little creativity there are numerous loop you can do... especially if you are willing to do a little road walking.

As an example a great loop that let's you see the views from Thunder Head Mountain is to park at the Middle Prong trail head and hike to Derrick Knob Shelter via Greenbrier Ridge Trail. Then hike over Thunder head to Spence Field Shelter. Then hike Bote Mtn trail toward Tremont. It’s then a 3 mile road walk back to Middle Prong.

Nice Loop HKDK. Middle Prong is one of my favorite trails in the park with the cascade very close to the trailhead and a great hike along the thundering creek.

Make sure you have safe parking over night...

wow there are so many great ones....a couple weekends ago I hit the classic Big Creek, Gunter Fork, Balsam Mtn, Sterling Ridge, Baxter Creek route.

A really great long weekend loop (well not an exact loop) is to park near Cades Cove loop road entrance (or general area), take Anthony creek / Bote/ AT to Jenkins Ridge, then down to Pickens Gap and pick up the old abandoned Pinnacle Creek trail (one of the few unmaintained trails that has trail head signs reading "unmaintained trail") and take that to Eagle Creek, back up to Spence and back down Bote. Many potentially tough crossings, so warm weather is better, multiple camping options on that route

just about any of the loops you can pick off the map up to the AT back down can be really enjoyable depending on what you're after.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tim.hiker View Post
    Make sure you have safe parking over night...
    I have not heard of any unsafe overnight parking anywhere in the park as of late. Some breaking inevitably occur so you don't want to make your car a target by keeping stuff in plain view. But ever since they caught the guy breaking into cars at the Maddon Bald trail head, I have not heard of any warning g about over night parking at any GSMNP tail head. Has any one heard to the contrary?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you are looking for a really short loop and water levels are not too high you can park at Abrams Creek Ranger station and hike Rabbit Creek to CS15. Then backtrack to Hannah Mtn trail and cross Abrams Creek to reach CS17. Finish the loop by walking to Abrams Creek campground. A short road walk will get you back to your car.

While I am sure that Abrams Creek can be a dangerous crossing in high water, I've had no trouble taking an 8yo thru this crossing multiple times. I hike my pack across first to find a good path through that water then return to help my son across.

If you should find the crossing too dangerous, you can always back track to Rabbit Creek. If you can not make it all the way back to your car in one day, you can always stay at CS16. No Ranger is going to fine you for staying at CS16 when you are supposed to be at CS17 when the reason is for safety.

A slightly longer version of this hike that doesn't have any potentially dangerous water crossing is to start at the Abrams Falls trailhead and hike to CS17. Continue to Abrams Creek campground and hike the road to access Rabbit Creek and CS15. Finish Rabbit Creek to return to your car. The crossing of Abrams Creek at Rabbit Creek trailhead is via log bride. There is a creek crossing just before CS15 and another where Rabbit Creek ends at Abrams Falls trailhead. Neither is a rock hopper, but compared to Abrams Creek, both are shallow and tame.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 04-13-2015 at 23:33.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Here is a long two night loop that is not very obvious...

Park at Clingman's Dome parking lot. Hike to the observation tower and then along the AT towards Siler's Bald. Turn left down Welch Ridge and left again down Jonas Creek to CS70. The next day follow Forney Creek to Whiteoak Branch and on thru the tunnel at the end of the road to nowhere. Follow the road to Noland Creek (trailhead is on the right and will take you under the bridge). Follow Noland Creek to CS62. Continue up Noland Creek and then use Noland Divide to reach Clingman's Dome Road. Turn right away from Clingman's Dome and hike the road for about 3/4ths of a mile. You will come to a saddle In the mountain where you can easily walk a few steps thru the grass to access the AT. Turn left onto the AT to return to Clingman's Dome.

I have parked all over the GSMNP at large parking lots, and at trailhead 2 car dirt pull offs. I often leave my car for 5 days at a time. The worst we have had happen was a tree fell across the road just a few inches from our bumper, and mouse invasions. My own personal experience mirrors 99.9999% of all the other people who have parked their cars in the GSMNP. Please don't let the threat of a possible car break in deter you from parking your car and taking a hike.

BTW, I just parked at the Maddron Bald trailhead a few weeks ago and had no problems.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

An alternate (relatively long) Gregory Bald loop:

Park at Abrams Creek trailhead. Hike Abrams Creek to Hannah Mtn to CS14. Continue on Hannah Mtn to Gregory Bald trail to CS13. Hike down Gregory Ridge and then Forge Creek Road and Cades Cove.Loop road to return to your car. For a faster exit, park at Gregory Ridge Trail and hike Forge Creek, Cades Cove, Abrams Creek and Hannah Mtn to CS14 the first day. That way your last day is the hike across the bald and down Gregory Ridge.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
    BTW, I just parked at the Maddron Bald trailhead a few weeks ago and had no problems.
    I pointed out Maddron.Bald because the Brown Book specifically warns about that parking spot. But I had heard more than a year ago that they caught the criminal (someone who lived near by) and that it hasn't been a problem spot since.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 04-13-2015 at 23:04.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If.you like shelters, here's a two night loop for you I did with my son and a friend:

Take Strait Fork road to Hyatt Ridge Trail (the parking is a short distance past the trailhead). Hike Hyatt, Enola Creek and Hughes Ridge to reach Pecks Corner. The next day hike the AT to Tricorner for lunch. Then hike Balsam Mtn over to Laural Gap. Complete the loop via Beach Gap and Strait Fork road.

Images

pne I did but would not really be thrilled to repeat, start smokemont, cross road and up newton bald for overnight one. take the thomas divide up to kanati fork and down to the road cross to kephart up to shelter night two. take the grassy branch up to richland mountain, turn left to A T go NB to pecks on hughes ridge night three. finally down hughes and bradley fork to smokemont. a bit too far from kephart to pecks.

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    wow there are so many great ones....a couple weekends ago I hit the classic Big Creek, Gunter Fork, Balsam Mtn, Sterling Ridge, Baxter Creek route.

A really great long weekend loop (well not an exact loop) is to park near Cades Cove loop road entrance (or general area), take Anthony creek / Bote/ AT to Jenkins Ridge, then down to Pickens Gap and pick up the old abandoned Pinnacle Creek trail (one of the few unmaintained trails that has trail head signs reading "unmaintained trail") and take that to Eagle Creek, back up to Spence and back down Bote. Many potentially tough crossings, so warm weather is better, multiple camping options on that route

just about any of the loops you can pick off the map up to the AT back down can be really enjoyable depending on what you're after.
    I have never been on Jenkins trail but I did watch a video and it looked the trail was in very bad shape is this so ? Thanks

Last year we base camped at Big Creek and then the next morning took Big Creek to 37, then swallow fork to Mt. Sterling ridge ( part of Benton McKay ), camped at 38 on Mt. Mt Sterling and then took Baxter Creek back to Big Creek campground.

This was a really enjoyable loop and if I get time later this year I want to make a larger loop out of the same trails that includes Mt. Cammerer. I haven't spent too much time in the smokies so every time I go up I always do loops to make the logistics easy but either later this year or next I'd like to do a thru hike somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
    Mt. Sterling/Mt. Cammerer
    There are a few different ways to approach this loop and plenty of campsites/shelters to make it as many or as few nights as you like. Great chance to stay up high for a few days since most of this loop is on ridgelines. Great views from the Mt. Sterling fire tower at campsite 38 and from the firetower on top of Mt. Cammerer. The views from Balsam Mtn and the AT are good too, especially if you go in late fall or early spring.

Start at Big Creek
    Day 1 - Baxter Creek to campsite 38
    Day 2 - Mt. Sterling Ridge, Balsam Mtn to Tricorner Knob Shelter
    Day 3 - AT to Cosby Knob Shelter
    Day 4 - AT, Mt. Cammerer, Chestnut Branch back to Big Creek

You could make this loop shorter by just hiking out from Big Creek on the Big Creek Trail, stay at 37, then go up to the AT via Low Gap and return to Big creek via the AT, Mt. Cammerer, and Chestnut Branch.

You could make this loop longer by adding a visit down into Cataloochee valley to look for Elk and visit some of the historic buildings on the Little Cataloochee trail.

I love this area of the park.

Ive Never been to this side of the park. Looks like lots of good options! Thanks for the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post

Which campsites did you stay at on the Big Creek loop?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
    Last year we base camped at Big Creek and then the next morning took Big Creek to 37, then swallow fork to Mt. Sterling ridge ( part of Benton McKay ), camped at 38 on Mt. Mt Sterling and then took Baxter Creek back to Big Creek campground.

This was a really enjoyable loop and if I get time later this year I want to make a larger loop out of the same trails that includes Mt. Cammerer. I haven't spent too much time in the smokies so every time I go up I always do loops to make the logistics easy but either later this year or next I'd like to do a thru hike somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This looks like a nice loop. Are their views on Mt. Sterling?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++