WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What do you wear on your feet while fording?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Fast drying trail runners plus green Superfeet plus Darn Tough socks plus Body Glide Liquified Powder plus well maintained toenails equals happy feet.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 04-13-2015 at 22:47.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

My favorite was to use water shoes (similar to crocs) + a microspike. I started carrying only one of the pair because I could still get decent traction by using one.
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

My 2 cents:
    It basically comes down to one factor:
    How often do you stop for a break?

If you are one who stops every hour or less, you might want to consider something different on your feet for fords.
    If you can go a few hours without stopping (and often do), then just use your hiking shoes and keep going until dry.

Always keep at least a pair of dry socks in your pack.
    You can always stop and put them on and get in the bag if frostbite seems like it might be a problem.

When hiking the CDT, there were days when I did 15 fords.
    No way would I want to stop and change shoes that many times.

Plus, your footing is much better in running shoes than it is in barefeet, neoprene booties/slippers, or similar.

And some of those fords were tough. (deep, long and fast moving water)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Toward the end of a day or just prior to a lunch break I'm more apt to just trudge through without covering/taking off shoes. I agree about the need for duo dry socks .
    I have calf high water resistant liners that can be slipped on over boots and tied for water crossings of more a few inches. Afterwards they get packed into a large ziplock.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

I am sure to be among the anomalies in that once the ice starts breaking up my typical footwear is huaraches. Feet are completely dry in minutes. I do like to bring two pair of wool socks and will pull a pair on once the sun starts to go down or if my feet get cold.

Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    I am sure to be among the anomalies in that once the ice starts breaking up my typical footwear is huaraches. Feet are completely dry in minutes. I do like to bring two pair of wool socks and will pull a pair on once the sun starts to go down or if my feet get cold.
    You are not as anomalous as you think. When I am out for day hikes, I normally wear sandals. Most of my walking in Acadia has been in sandals. Makes for funky tan lines.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

surprised how many people will hike in wet shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by tim.hiker View Post
    surprised how many people will hike in wet shoes.
    Everyone hikes in wet shoes eventually. You will be hiking in wet shoes. The key is being prepared for that fact. I have never had a blister on my feet while hiking. I do not carry moleskin. I have seen feet in horrible condition because that person was not prepared for the fact that their feet were going to get wet. Coming out of the 100 mile wilderness, I saw several hurting hikers. Their plan was to avoid getting them wet. I embrace it.

I get blister when I hike in wet shoes it has happen before , I just prepare the best I can by carry extra shoes that I can change into so I can hike with dry shoes,,, I am jealous that you never had a blister..

I get blister when I hike in wet shoes it has happen before , I just prepare the best I can by carry extra shoes that I can change into so I can hike with dry shoes,,, I am jealous that you never had a blister..
    Do you clean your feet daily? Do you inspect and maintain them daily? Do you put Body Glide on them every morning? Do you wear Darn Tough socks? Do you hike in trail runners? Are your shoes a half size larger than your shoes at home? Do you wear Dirty Girl gaiters to keep debris out? Do you wear quality insoles? I do.

Images

The trail is wet, the tall grass is wet, it rains a lot, there are giant mudholes. Even without stream crossings, my shoes are often wet. Good wool socks (Darn Tough) and synthetic light trail runners with a lot of mesh mean my feet dry relatively quickly, and are comfortable and warm while wet.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Do you clean your feet daily? Do you inspect and maintain them daily? Do you put Body Glide on them every morning? Do you wear Darn Tough socks? Do you hike in trail runners? Are your shoes a half size larger than your shoes at home? Do you wear Dirty Girl gaiters to keep debris out? Do you wear quality insoles? I do.
    sounds like you have it all planned out, thanks for the advice

sounds like you have it all planned out, thanks for the advice
    You are welcome. Please keep in mind that this works for me. People are not carbon copies. You will have to find what works best for you. You will likely need to tweak things. I think I have given you food for thought by listing what works best for me.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    IMO, the trick is good socks. A nice thicker wool blend tends to make this less of an issue. If you don't blister easily a good hiking weight sock will usually squish out most of the mess and leave your feet relatively warm and dry. Like others mentioned- those long wet stretches or rainy days are often wetter than the occasional fording. In the summer I actually ford on purpose and give the shoes a good soaking to help stay cool.

Of course the trick only works if you have shoes that drain well and dry decent- most trail runners fit this. Beware some of the low top hikers- the extra rubber wrap that they put on where the upper meets the sole tends to hold water if there are no weep holes in it.

Also- as to Garlic's tip- I have also heard the flipside (mainly for boots). Take your insoles out and socks off and ford in your shoes. It works great for oiled leather boots. Probably just as well with tennis shoes, but laziness has always conquered curiosity for me on that score.
    Yeah, when I decided "wet feet weren't that bad," I was in Darn Toughs (with thin polypro liners since I'm sensitive to even their wool), and lightweight trail runners (New Balance 610). But I didn't get them wet on purpose because mostly the water was pretty skanky. It was beaver country.

Superfeet don't absorb all that much water. I wouldn't bother taking them out. The foam insoles that the shoes came with, definitely I'd try to keep them dry.

Is there a ford in your future?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Yeah, when I decided "wet feet weren't that bad," I was in Darn Toughs (with thin polypro liners since I'm sensitive to even their wool), and lightweight trail runners (New Balance 610). But I didn't get them wet on purpose because mostly the water was pretty skanky. It was beaver country.

Superfeet don't absorb all that much water. I wouldn't bother taking them out. The foam insoles that the shoes came with, definitely I'd try to keep them dry.

Is there a ford in your future?
    610's. That is the ticket. It gives me comfort when our hiking decisions agree. Now if I was not such a gram weenie, I would have comfort food like you.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I haven't found Body Glide on my feet all that useful. I have a couple of known hotspots that I duct tape, and otherwise I just don't seem to blister with my current socks.

I haven't tried Dirty Girl gaiters. I have a pair of over-the-calf gaiters that I use in winter or on bushwhacks, where I want protection from nettles and blackberries, and snakes, if it comes to that. I'm sure it's possible, but I've never heard of anyone getting bitten through high gaiters. (Then again, most snakebite victims are bitten on the hand. Tell me that's the snake's fault.)

I wear the same size trail runners at home, but then again, I make it a point to carry a pack a couple of miles a day when I'm not out hiking. I guess that means my feet don't swell that much when I am hiking. I walk to and from work, and I carry a laptop computer, a few books, and a couple of water bottles in a day pack. That way I can be toting a decent pack weight without drawing stares. (Except in winter, when simply being out on the street walking draws stares.)

610's. That is the ticket. It gives me comfort when our hiking decisions agree. Now if I was not such a gram weenie, I would have comfort food like you.
    You go a lot faster than I do, too. But I'd be a slowpoke in any case, so I might as well enjoy going slow.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I haven't found Body Glide on my feet all that useful.
    Did you try this type?
    foot-glide1.png
    Or this type?

skin-glide.png

I use the 2nd type.

They used to call the 2nd type Body Glide Liquefied Powder. I like the old name.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 04-14-2015 at 13:30.

So now that you guys have convinced me to leave my Vivobarefoot shoes behind, I am looking at a way to turn my Superfeet into camp shoes. Multiuse and all that. I have 2 thoughts. My first thought was shock cord loops. My second thought is nylon anklets. Going to test the anklets this weekend.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

While others walk through the water, I prefer to walk on it. At least that's what my wife says I think.

I used to worry about shoes getting wet, but slowly realized over the last couple of years how small the issue really is. Getting into ultras in November that -always- seem to involve water crossings in the first few miles particularly cemented this in my mind. Even after a complete soaking, socks and shoes are relatively dry within a few miles and blisters have not been an issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++