WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Vibrating Poles

Images

Default Vibrating Poles

I have several different models of trekking poles. Some are anti shock and some arent. All of them are three piece. All of them make that vibrating noise originating inside the poles when I hike with them. Drives me nuts. Anyone have a cure all solution?

never noticed at all with any of mine. maybe stuff a few cotton balls inside the hollow tube? Or wrap some duct tape around? Dual purpose that way (the cotton balls could also be soaked in vaseline for fire starting)
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

If their making noise something is loose inside the tubes. I've had the carbide tips push up through the plastic holder, up into the tube and start rattling around. I got new tips for the poles and removed the loose tip and no more noise.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Use the heavy rubber tips. Should solve most noise problems.

Images

It might have something to do with the way you swing your poles, touch them down and shift body weight onto them. I know that when I'm tired or in a hurry (especially on hard terrain) my poles bounce more.

Quote Originally Posted by ncmtns View Post
    I have several different models of trekking poles. Some are anti shock and some arent. All of them are three piece. All of them make that vibrating noise originating inside the poles when I hike with them. Drives me nuts. Anyone have a cure all solution?
    My cure to that was to replace them with fixed length poles. Black Diamond Z-Poles. No internal springs, collars, clamps or other parts, other than a length of cordage to keep the sections together. They don't make a sound.

FWIW, I find flick locks to be quieter than twist lock poles I have used. Something about their mechanisms tend to move around just enough to give the pole a vibrating feel along with a bit of noise.

I experienced this as well with Komperdell poles. I called the company and and they said it is an issue they were aware of. It is where the mechanics on the inside of the tubes are not tight enough tolerance. I bought this year model when I left my rattling ones in the bed of a trail angel shuttle and the rattling is gone. If you are not concerned with breaking down the poles you could foam the joints. I just go used to the rattling 90% of the time
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

Hearsay that some have used scotch tape to take up space on noisy poles.

The trekking poles I don't use never make any noise.

++ New Posts ++