WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking for a Cause: Area couple aims for Appalachian Trail thru-hike - Richland Sourc

Vermont Public Radio

Hiking for a Cause: Area couple aims for Appalachian Trail thru-hike
    Richland Source
    We've visited the Appalachian Trail Conservancy in Harpers Ferry (W.Va.) and made contact with a couple people who have already done it,” Mike said. “We've studied our Appalachian Trail guide and companion manual, plotted our re-supply stops and ...
    A Walk In The Woods? As Films Popularize Thru-Hiking, The AT Looks To ...Vermont Public Radio
    AT hikers pick up on Easter 'trail magic'Macon County News (blog)

all 7 news articles »

More...

More hikers wanting sponsors to pay for their vacation, cloaking it as a "charity" hike. If they really wanted to do something worthwhile for their charity, they should give the money they're going to spend on a hike, and work as volunteers for the amount of time that it would take them to hike the trail.

Through-hiking the AT is not an unusual accomplishment anymore. There are far better ways to benefit a charity than taking a 6 month vacation hike.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Images

Through-hiking the AT is not an unusual accomplishment anymore. There are far better ways to benefit a charity than taking a 6 month vacation hike.[/QUOTE]

Well said!
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Wow, tough crowd. The guy is a retired police chief and she is a retired school financial officer. I'm guessing they aren't having any problems financing the hike on their own. Good on ya Chief and Toad for wanting to help out your friend. I just went to the Gurney BlogSpot, and that seems to be the only way to donate......not to the hikers themselves. Looks like it's on the up and up. I don't know any of these people, but I'm inclined to support the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    More hikers wanting sponsors to pay for their vacation, cloaking it as a "charity" hike.
    read the article. ALL money raised goes to the family. they have their own gear and funds for the hike

More hikers wanting sponsors to pay for their vacation, cloaking it as a "charity" hike. If they really wanted to do something worthwhile for their charity, they should give the money they're going to spend on a hike, and work as volunteers for the amount of time that it would take them to hike the trail.

Through-hiking the AT is not an unusual accomplishment anymore. There are far better ways to benefit a charity than taking a 6 month vacation hike.

Absolutely!!!! I am very tired of folks (seems to be 20-somethings) assuming if they just hold out their hands, money 'will appear'.

BUT: Just in case, I am doing a chrity thru hike this to raise attention the the fact that I am going broke sending my kids through college. If I could just get everybody her to shoot me, say, $100, I would be able to raise that awareness all along the trail. Plus, you folks get the satisfaction of knowing you contributed not only to my college fund, but to the larger issue that needs attention - that of the cost of stuff in a post-cold-war superpower.

Thanks all! PM me for my paypal info.

True, but if you're going to take that 6-month vacation anyway, why not use it to raise money for a charity at the same time?

Journal Entries

How Lone Wolf states:

100% of your donation will help the Gurney Family and donations will be funneled into one Health Account for John’s medical expenses.
    From http://www.richlandsource.com/sports...c6dc2d7d7.html

Maybe they could take the $10k they are likely to spend on their hike and donate it to this cause.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Maybe they could take the $10k they are likely to spend on their hike and donate it to this cause.
    Most benefactors of charitable drives such as this do not expect (or generally even want) friends who donate to disrupt their own lives or finances to that degree. It's not a realistic expectation. But if these folks can raise a little local money for a friend suffering from cancer, and by doing so also provide a little internalized hiking motivation for themselves, there really isn't any harm. It's not a "gofundme because I need to hike the AT and haven't saved any money" campaign.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries

Some people think it is, and want attention.

Most could do more for their "charity" by working for 6 months and donating the money to them, than the effort of asking for donations in the cause

++ New Posts ++