WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default School me on trekking poles

I'm new to the backpacking scene but quickly falling in love with the sport.

After borrowing some sweet Black Diamond carbon poles for a hike last summer I'm sold on the benefits of using trekking poles for any distance hike. Since then I have landed some cheapo Coleman from WalMart poles for free. Used them this weekend for an overnight backpack, hiking 20 miles each day for 2 days. Other than the grips being hard plastic and their being heavier than the ones I borrowed last year I can't say they particularly sucked goat eggs....but my question:

What is the benefit of purchasing a higher end pole over a lower end one?

In particular, what are the pros of spending more for certain features?

Are more expensive poles going to be more durable in addition to more lightweight?

What features should I look for if most of my hikes are going to be over a widely varied terrain, going from rooty to smooth to muddy to rocky?

Thanks!

Journal Entries

The only poles I've owned are a pair of cheap, then a pair of Leki poles (paid $110 on sale). The biggest difference between the two products was in the comfort of the grip. The hard plastic had dull edges that hurt my hand after a while. Other differences were in the way they lock and the comfort of the strap.
    If you do very much backpacking, you may eventually upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by hayeskw View Post
    I'm new to the backpacking scene but quickly falling in love with the sport.

After borrowing some sweet Black Diamond carbon poles for a hike last summer I'm sold on the benefits of using trekking poles for any distance hike. Since then I have landed some cheapo Coleman from WalMart poles for free. Used them this weekend for an overnight backpack, hiking 20 miles each day for 2 days. Other than the grips being hard plastic and their being heavier than the ones I borrowed last year I can't say they particularly sucked goat eggs....but my question:

What is the benefit of purchasing a higher end pole over a lower end one?

In particular, what are the pros of spending more for certain features?

Are more expensive poles going to be more durable in addition to more lightweight?

What features should I look for if most of my hikes are going to be over a widely varied terrain, going from rooty to smooth to muddy to rocky?

Thanks!
    I think your original observations are spot on. A stick is a stick. Paying more gets you an expensive stick. For walking it doesn't make a huge difference (or suck goat eggs?). So what are you paying for in a name-brand stick?

You have the option of getting a ultra lightweight pole if that is important to you. The cheap poles are probably not available in UL versions. But the expensive UL pole is probably going to be more fragile than a cheap heavy pole. Pole durability is highly variable. Many people complain that their sticks broke in the first week. Others hike for years with no problems. I think it has as much to do with skill/luck as anything else. News flash - If you wedge the tip of your pole between two slabs of granite and then push sideways with your whole body weight, the pole will bend or break.

But paying more does get you some perks. Besides the UL option, expensive poles may have nicer handles and straps, which for some people are very important. After all, these are the parts of the pole that connect with you, the user. Pacer poles cost $$ (and are not UL) but have a unique handle design that many people swear by. Expensive poles probably have more reliable and convenient adjustments. Most people prefer flick lock adjustable poles (sections lock with a level) rather than twist-lock poles (more common on cheap poles). Expensive poles have better customer service (usually) if you have a problem. Parts (replacement tips, e.g.) would be more available. One feature you may see are poles with shock absorbers. This is one feature I don't want. For me it is extra weight and extra noise and something else to break for no real benefit. But it is there for people who want it.

I went with Black Diamond Aline Ergo Cork poles. One of the heaviest models. But very durable, nice flick lock adjusters, reputable company, soft ergo dynamically positioned cork handles. Plus really nice straps.

Images

Do yourself a huge favor and buy PacerPoles. Unique, high quality, very comfortable to use, very efficient, excellent for down hill support.

http://www.pacerpole.com/

Images

I have used a few different types of poles. My favorite pair was some fixed length carbon fiber poles from gossamer gear - they came in around 4-5oz for the pair! But not being able to collapse them can make it difficult for traveling, especially if flying. I don't care for the twist lock(internal) style of poles, always seemed to have issues keeping them locked. Although they were a bit heavier I used a pair of Leki's that had a speed lock on the outside and loved them. I would also add to stay away from poles that have the anti shock spring - personal preference, but I have never been in a situation where I thought I would need it, just adds more weight and makes one more thing on the pole that could break.
    T-Shirts for hikers: www.trailthread.com

Images

More expensive is sometimes less durable when it comes to backpacking gear. Very light carbon poles can more eaasily snap than heavy aluminum. Very light fabrics aren't as durable as big heavy fabrics, etc.

I think there is a good middle of the road for most items. I'd pay more for lighter poles, but not pay a big premium for carbon poles. YMMV.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Most high end poles like Leki have incredible customer service and warranty any part of the pole other than the tips.I’ve snapped pole sections and broken locks and received replacements from Leki dealers no questions asked.That to me is worth a lot.I also think if you had the chance to walk a few miles with the cheap poles and again with the high end poles, you’d find a noticeably difference in comfort.

Any of the poles with joints have a built-in weakness that might fail if you stress it. I've broken at least three in the last 10 years, just with the normal strain of long distance hikes. Now I prefer a stout wooden staff, like everyone used until the 1990's. The main disadvantage is air travel because it is not collapsible.

Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

I bought a pair of Black Diamond poles for $45, that retail for around $80, which is fairly cheap--probably the cheapest trekking pole they make. I have had no issues with them and really like using them. Thoughts:

1) It is easy to be gentle with a lot of gear choices, but not poles. Trekking poles are swinging all day long "in harms way." Every misstep or stumble puts a sudden and often awkward force on the pole. I am sometimes amazed that I havent snapped them off or otherwise damaged them, so far. I think these poles are very rugged, and I wouldnt want to get anything lighter or more fragile.
    2) I heard cork grips feel better in the hand, but also heard they absorb sweat and can get nasty over time. My plastic grips do not absorb anything and do not stink or get nasty. At this point, I'm very glad I chose plastic over cork grips.
    3) I agree that the flick locks are the best break down option. I would never want a one piece pole that didnt break down into three sections. I collapse them every day. And it is easy to adjust the tension.
    4) If you know how to hold the leash/grip properly, there is no need for the altered/angled/ergo funky expensive grip otions. If you're doing it right, you dont actually squeeze the grip itself. Except when I'm falling, then I sqeeze for dear life! Find a video on it, if you're unsure.
    5) I dont like the shock absorber poles. I like to feel the ground through my poles/hands and dont like my pole to have any "give" to it.

I ended up with Leki because of the cork handles, quick clip adjustment, ribbon adjustable straps, weight and price (on sale quite a bet off regular price). I immediately was happy with two poles over my 1980's walking staff. There's the difference to me, "walking staff" vs. "trekking poles". The other factor not mentioned is the dual purpose of the poles as Tent Poles or Tarp Poles. I didn't want to rely on cheaper walmart specials for a nightly higher cost Sleep System. I myself hammock and tarp, but almost alway's place tarp in porch mode for a view. Higher cost poles are a smarter investment with today's Tarp/Tents; IMHO.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I've done lots of miles with and without them...

Hiking poles are both a good and bad thing. Good because they help you maintain stability crossing creeks, logs, rocks and can help relieve pressure on joints, great for when you make that sudden stump knocker and get off balance going head first into the dirt...bad due to putting stress on shoulders, chaffing hands, weaken the micro muscles that don't get used to help you balance, folks tend to bend less with them..preventing any stretches to quads and knee joints. Get one caught in a hole and they are great for stabbing yourself in the stomach or if you professional enough to use the straps, bend your arms in new and interesting ways.

I think they are worth having but in my opinion, people over compensate with them and end up with weaker legs as a result. ( whatever..)

I tend to carry them a lot to ensure that my legs are doing the work.
    cheaper is better because eventually, they will break or you'll leave them somewhere, or throw at a bear as you run the opposite direction

I got Cascade Mountain Tech twist lock carbon fiber poles as my first pair. They were 40 bucks. They are very light and have lasted one season so far. I ditched the straps because they are kind of heavy and rubbed my hands uncomfortably. I swapped the straps for some simple paracord which did the trick. I can't see spending a whole bunch more as long as you get something fairly light that can hold up under normal use. I don't care how much someone spends, if they abuse their gear it will break regardless of the cost/brand.

Images

I've had the same Leki poles for 8 yrs. Never had any problem or reason to switch. Only thing I would advise is to NOT use the straps. If you fall and the pole gets stuck in the upright position with the strap around your wrist, you can find yourself in an awkward position where you are litterally hung-up on your pole, or injuring your arm/wrist further.
    Simple is good.

Journal Entries

Use the straps, get the best pair you can afford. Bought a set of Leki poles at Neels Gap, bent the right pole within 4 hours, got it fixed under warranty next stop. The poles were twist on top and flip on the bottom. Would have hated them if the bottom wasn't flip. First tried poles on a PCT hike many years ago and now they're part of my essential gear.

I recently ordered my first pole (singular), a carbon model on ebay. It's in transit from China, $30, flick lock collapsible and less than 7 oz. We shall see.

My desire is to have something to probe the way as I wade through mucky (can't see the bottom) waterlogged areas, aid in balance across low, narrow log bridges, flick snakes or swing at animals (I know I'm fierce; you don't have to tell me), and finally to work with the Gatewood Cape I recently purchased. I don't really plan to hike with it just yet, but who knows what the future holds.

As for the collapsible wooden walking sticks, they make them with sort of a nut-and-bolt joint so they can break down, sort of like a portable pool cue. I imagine this is a weak point, but maybe its strong enough. Google 'folding wooden walk stick" or similar and you'll find all kinds.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

My $0.02:

Cork grips - plastic ones give me friction burns.
    Aluminum shaft - I'm afraid of falling on top of a carbon fiber one and snapping it, they don't bend at all.
    Lever locks - twist locks just don't work all that well.
    NO shock absorbers - I like to feel the ground, and the wrist straps take most of the shock anyway.
    Wrist straps - Use them, but learn to use them right. If they're correctly adjusted, you just use your fingers to steer the pole, not really grip the handle. And if you wear them right, there's no issue with getting your wrists fouled in the straps if you fall, the pole just drops away when you let go.

If I used poles when I was younger maybe my knees would be in better shape today.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

AT 2012

a clearly minority opinion: unless you have some compelling need to have adjustable length poles (like they are part of your shelter system), the adjustment just adds cost, weight and weakness. A pair of non-adjustable women's titanium ski poles is the right match of lightweight, durable and not crazy expensive as far as I am concerned. I can't remember ever seeing anyone stop to change their pole length for that 800 foot climb in PA... I have broken more carbon fiber poles than I can count, by the way.
    Lazarus

The forest has millions of free sticks that make dandy poles. Lifetime warranty . But if you're set on paying a lot for them then I can custom build you a set for less than 100$ . Lol.

Images

Anything with flick locks. After years of frustration with screw poles, finally made then upgrade while on the AT and love em. Also use as tent poles (TT Contrail) perfect.

Images

I know lots of folks don't like twist locks.

I've never had a problem with them as long as I "exercise" them once a week or so. Lock them and then not touch them for a season, and they are sometimes difficult to get to unlock. I've never had one collapse unexpectedly on me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++