WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dirty Places

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    1. the Autumn Inn, in Bennington, VT had to rank as the absolute worst motel I have ever seen on the AT. It made AT shelters look like a Hampton Inn. Dirt and mold were an understatement, probably Legionaires disease from the mold in the window A/C unit that didn't blow any cold air....along with the trashy locals that seem to crash there. Still can't believe it's in the AT Guide books.
    Everyone I talk to says the same about Autumn Inn. Because it is closest to the trail, it gets listed first in The AT Guide. I spoke with AWOL and this year he lists Catamount Motel first for Bennington, VT. They are reasonably clean and very hiker friendly.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Journal Entries
    Images

One of the laments of being a thru-hiker is the lower standard of cleanliness you have to tolerate. Dirt and grime are everywhere. Learning how to tolerate it is something that goes hand and hand with becoming a thru hiker.
    I would often think on myself as a traveler in the 1800s. The grime dirt and filth of daily living was a part of life at that time. While thru-hiking you have to keep focused on the good and learn to except the bad.
    During my thru-hiked I visited quite a few places that have been mentioned. I took my stated approach and enjoyed many of them. I even enjoyed the Doyle.
    Grampie-N->2001

Sorry to see Elray's post (#11), above. Contrary to what he wrote, we treat everyone the same here at Neel Gap, and the majority of hikers don't need or don't purchase major pieces of new gear, nor is anyone pressured into buying anything they don't want. Gear prices, by the way, are all at MSRP, i.e the manufacturer's suggested retail price, i.e. not jacked or over-raised. But there's obviously no pleasing everybody.

Too many want the Ritz for $10. I don't really get the point in a thread like this.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    Too many want the Ritz for $10. I don't really get the point in a thread like this.
    There are a few that have come thru my doors nitpicking me to death, I usually will give them whatever money is owed back to them and show them the door. This has produced some negative results for me but I am okay with that and since I am the only one doing my job I sometimes do not get everything completely clean for the next hiker coming thru the door, I will not let them sleep in a slept in bed though, they will have to wait til I have a clean set of linen. I want only those who are comfortable in a lived in house because I live here too and the majority are just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Sorry to see Elray's post (#11), above. Contrary to what he wrote, we treat everyone the same here at Neel Gap, and the majority of hikers don't need or don't purchase major pieces of new gear, nor is anyone pressured into buying anything they don't want. Gear prices, by the way, are all at MSRP, i.e the manufacturer's suggested retail price, i.e. not jacked or over-raised. But there's obviously no pleasing everybody.

I was quite pleased with our treatment when we came through in 2013. I pre-purchased some fuel from you guys over a month in advance and it was sitting there waiting for me with my name on it; no small feat in a place that can get so busy so quickly. And none of the prices were outrageous. Quite in line as I recall. We didn't need any gear; just restocked on food and picked up our fuel and we were treated just as well as people who were looking for major gear.

I've noticed that some people are offended by MSRP. It seems to be the way of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    And none of the prices were outrageous. Quite in line as I recall. We didn't need any gear; just restocked on food and picked up our fuel and we were treated just as well as people who were looking for major gear.

I've noticed that some people are offended by MSRP. It seems to be the way of the world.
    MSRP seems reasonable enough for gear tailored to the long-distance hiker, delivered with good service, in a place that they pretty much walk through. All of this provided exactly when they realize that they aren't going to get through North Carolina with the gear they bought back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Everyone I talk to says the same about Autumn Inn. Because it is closest to the trail, it gets listed first in The AT Guide. I spoke with AWOL and this year he lists Catamount Motel first for Bennington, VT. They are reasonably clean and very hiker friendly.
    thanks Jeff! Next LT hike I do, I will try Catamount, have heard good things on them from other hikers, and they are reasonably priced for hikers. The VT Health Dept should do an inspection at the Autumn Inn.... disgusting place!

Rendezvous Motel in Pearisburg was the worst for me -- not too dirty, but everything (including hot water) appeared to be broken. I might have been the last hiker to stay there (it burned down shortly thereafter).

I'm guessing I got a decent room at the Doyle, and cold beer helps me sleep well...

I'm pretty sure the worst hotel on the trail is at Rockfish Gap south of SNP, the reviews on that hotel are downright scary... http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ia.html#photos
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

Agree with may of the places mentioned. btw I'm at The Doyle now with smelly weekend hiker friends and we're all having a great time and staying the night, $26 a rm. Pat, Vickey, John & I say hello to everyone.
    bag "o" tricks

Quote Originally Posted by BAG "o" TRICKS View Post
    Agree with may of the places mentioned. btw I'm at The Doyle now with smelly weekend hiker friends and we're all having a great time and staying the night, $26 a rm. Pat, Vickey, John & I say hello to everyone.
    I have had the pleasure of closing that bar down with you once in 2010.

The Doyle is a dump, but it is the most charming welcoming dump around. Not to be missed

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I have stayed there three times. A dump? Yes. But I did stay there three times. Sorry that it burned down. Too few motels right on the trail.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    I have stayed there three times. A dump? Yes. But I did stay there three times. Sorry that it burned down. Too few motels right on the trail.
    burned down? *** are you talking about? also to clarify I meant not to be misssed as in a must stop I have stayed there twice, and I adore Pat & Vicki

Images

In order of disgusting Damascus, whiteblsze, the section from springer to kahtadin

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    You know Jack maybe my post was a little hasty and let me say right up front that we were not mistreated or cheated, again it's all perception. We arrived on one of the first nice Saturday's in April and the place was packed with "road warriors" and hikers, there was impending rain and our feet were already feeling the miles. Then there was a terrific car crash right up into the parking lot that we barely avoided being part of and an old couple involved in the accident lost their pet dog in the aftermath which was even more upsetting. It was a warm and stuffy night in the hostel and the women's privy was out of order, the shower looked like a landfill and I'm sorry if we expected more, it is after all the fabled first stop on the AT. Looking back we should have hiked on after re-supplying and tented away from the mayhem.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Journal Entries

Its mostly about expectations.
    You are hiking a trail, in the woods.
    Be thankful there are places you can get off trail for cheap.
    If you couldnt, most wouldnt be able to afford to hike.

The good clean cheap places are to be appreciated, not expected.

Ive slept in many places where i slept on top of bed, fully clothed, at $60/night.

Ive stayed in a place that offshore workers stay at waiting to go out, or getting back spend night at, that makes anything along AT look like a palace.

Images

I'm rather ashamed to see this thread. Many of the folks mentioned on the thread are small-time operators who offer a service for greatly reduced cost to hikers. While yes, some are cleaner than others, I consider this entire tread to be about bashing the folks who offer these services. Nothing says you have to accept the hospitality or services. If you are not satisfied, I would suggest moving on and not recommending the facilities. I feel it is bad form to go online to bad mouth our supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuasdad View Post
    I'm pretty sure the worst hotel on the trail is at Rockfish Gap south of SNP, the reviews on that hotel are downright scary... http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ia.html#photos
    You make it sound like the extra mile walk to the Colony House is worth it.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I'm rather ashamed to see this thread. Many of the folks mentioned on the thread are small-time operators who offer a service for greatly reduced cost to hikers. While yes, some are cleaner than others, I consider this entire tread to be about bashing the folks who offer these services. Nothing says you have to accept the hospitality or services. If you are not satisfied, I would suggest moving on and not recommending the facilities. I feel it is bad form to go online to bad mouth our supporters.
    They're not our supporters, they're business owners. Hikers are their supporters as long as there is payment involved - no matter what the cost. Businesses earn whatever their reputation is, good or bad.

Ryan

I find this thread kind of funny, folks who, after a few weeks, will eat food dropped in the dirt and enjoy it and smell like the south end of a north bound skunk and they want to know about dirty places....they're anywhere a thru hikers resides...just ask town folk.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++