WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default So what does your pack weigh?

Hi! I start at Springer this tuesday. I've done a bunch of training, shakedowns, and prepping and I think I'm ready to go. As of now... My pack dials in at 28lbs not including water. I have about 5 days worth of food in it as well. I know everyone packs differently... But I'm wondering what the average pack weight is... I feel like I may be heavier than most.

Right now with poles and including all of the clothes I'll be wearing is just under 15 pounds. This is without water and did tho. I still think I can shave another pound off too. From what I've been reading up on, right around 30 seems "average" (if there is such a thing), for a full pack. Go with whatever feels good to you though, everyone's different.

Without water and food, not water and did. Haha

Pack with 5 days food and water - 12933 grams.

Okay - 28 1/2 lbs.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries

So what does your pack weigh?

Your Fine. You may drop some weight as you go, thats fine too.
    You are better than most for starting.

I'm with Muddy. A couple pounds of water puts you a touch over 30. Not too shabby for a start. There's a trailjournal of a guy with a 50 pound pack. His last journal entry was something like "Hitting the trail tomorrow". He never posted another journal entry. He probably broke down on the approach.

The trail will tell you what you need and what you don't. Send the crap home.

Images

Pretty good, subtracting 10 pounds of food for your 5 days, you're under 20 pounds. Better than average, I'd say (agree w/ Muddy). you'll get lighter.

28 lbs w/o water and food. My goal is to try to keep it under 35lbs.

Images

Most of the packs I have seen in Georgia were over 30 lbs, many of them waaaaay over. Bring what you need, but your pack is fine.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Sounds like you'll be starting with a lighter pack than most.

It really depends on how much that 5 days worth of food weighs.

If its 2lbs a day your at an 18lb base weight. Which in a few weeks, you'll prob shave another 3lbs off of that.

If its 3lbs a day your at a 13lb baseweight. And thats great.

My pack weighs 1lb 10oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am at 27 lbs with everything but water. 4 days food. I have gone over this thing again and again.

Starting from springer on 4/16

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm around 32lb with 5 days food and 2 liters of water.Ive got a few treats i carry with me,not needed.But everyone needs to decide for themselves what weight is worth carrying.You look pretty lite to me.
    I walk up hills,and then walk down

a "trick" I just learned on how to lighten your pack. I had a 3 day trip on a section in VA, did some research, had me about a 27lb pack without food (it was pretty cold, and i dont have all ultralight gear - military background, old habits die hard)

anyway, as soon as i got home from that 3-day,20ish mile out-n-back, i dumped my pack and started throwing things into a small tub. stuff i thought i needed, that i definitely did not need. 6oz of a 9oz FAK. extra SS shirt. extra repair stuff.

when i was done, i had ditched almost 7lbs. probably a tad agressive, but i plan to run 2-3 more of those out-n-backs, possibly having to add something back in

nothing motivates you to figure out what you NEED vs what you like to have more than some sore shoulders and memories of all the up-direction on the trail

even if you cant get to a section on the AT, hiking or camping locally - heck, the backyard - and watching what you DON'T use will help more than any list analytics

because at the end of the day, you'll hike your own hike, and probably keep the 5oz Mora knife because you just can't live in the woods without it, when everyone else is carrying a .1oz razor blade (and borrowing your knife)

do a couple practice camps, it will help dial you in faster than you can imagine

Images

Old thru-hiking rule of thumb: Make two piles. One pile of all the things you want (not necessarily need) to bring, and one pile of all your money. Take half of the first, and twice the second.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries

30 lbs (4 days food / 3 liters water)

Other than my FA/emergency items, if something doesn't get used on a trip then it generally does not go with me on the next trip unless I have a specific plan to use it.

That has helped me cut down on weight without reducing my enjoyment. I generally am about 30 pounds, fully loaded with food for 5 days and water.

I am repeating myself. However, I will post it here too. When considering things I take on a hike I ask 4 questions.

1) Do I need it? If the answer is no, it stays behind. A multiuse item might make the item unnecessary as well.
    2) Is it functional? It has to be able to do the job efficiently and survive a long walk.
    3) Is it as light as possible? Every gram counts, but cannot make it fail question 2.
    4) Does it fit my budget? There is a tipping point where grams saved are not worth dollars spent.

I get down right giddy when the lightest functional necessity is built by me out of things that I would otherwise throw away. My stove, water system container/funnel & scoop, and chair/doormat come to mind. I go nuts on calorie densities too. Having said all this, I bring 2 things that serve no logical purpose. I lug an avatar and one item that will remain private (no, it ain't a gun).
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 04-04-2015 at 13:40.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I am at 18.5 lbs without food and water.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

I am at about 35 with food and water. Some of the stuff I could probably do without but I am taking what I need to enjoy my time on the trail.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++