WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

My introduction to the AT in Maine was the section from Stratton to ME 17 in June. I was 62 and had planned to do it in five days. I was not ready for Maine. Seven days later I had made it to ME 4 just outside Rangely. That did include zero at Poplar Ridge Lean-to to dry out and rest. From then on I trained for my Maine sections.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

For what it's worth, I loved hiking ME. I'm not the strongest hiker. I went SOBO from Katahdin. I remember coming off Old Blue on a hot, very hazy, late June afternoon. Halfway down, I was cruising through the beautiful hardwoods, on the mild decent. Then I noticed the beautiful lake through the trees and remember thinking that I must be almost to the road. It wasn't a lake, it was the blue haze across the valley. The bottom fell out of the trail, it was that steep. When I did get to the road, I thought about what a climb it would be NOBO. I would think in terms of a absolute max of 1 mile per hour on the climbs. They are tough, you will use your hands as much as your feet. The climbs of the Whites don't stop at the NH/ME border. All the work, sweat, and thinking your heart is going to break out of your chest is worth it. Just remember these mountains don't go up forever, the views are so stunning and worth it. When on top, just look for the tallest summits in the general direction your headed, that is where the trail goes. The descents are tough as well, trekking poles help until you get to a ledge then just throw them to the bottom, face the ledge and use all fours or in some cases butt slide. As mentioned above there aren't any switchbacks, up is straight up and down is straight down. You'll do fine, just have a back up plan. I strongly suggest that you carry enough food, clothing, shelter to be comfortable in case you need to spend the night should the need arise. You should carry a good map set and compass. The nights at the end of August can dip into the 30's even the high 20's with frost. T-storms are much less frequent then earlier in the summer. You will see some early fall colors as well. As I recall, cell reception with Verizon was OK from the summits only, for example, I called David from Pine Ellis, from the top of Old Blue for example. Just take it slow, it isn't a race and enjoy, it will be the hike of a lifetime.

That section of the trail is what I trained on when doing my first Katahdin Summit. Its a beautiful, if rugged section to hike.

This isn't too far past Piazza Rock heading nobo up Saddleback. Most of the trail is fairly similar. Peakbagging Saddleback and the Horn was the longest day hike my GF and I ever had. We finished back at RT4 in the dark. A month later we did Katahdin and it felt about the same. Most of the AT through hikers we met on the trail flew by us. Its how we got the name for our website www.snailsontrails.com Its a work in progress. Enjoy the hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tim.hiker View Post
    # 2 Nice web page enjoyed the pictures.
    Glad you liked 'em! I liked being there ... much of the time. LOL
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Maine is rugged, yet beautiful! I hike the Whites regularly, year round, and thought that section of Maine was on par with what we have here and the northern section of the Long Trail in VT. At least that's my son and I thought when we sectioned from Gorham through the Bigelows last year. Trips reports are on www.nh48.wordpress.com, should have "Finishing the NE 67" in the titles for those. Just scroll down through the pictures, should be 4 or 5 rows down to those posts.

I think you've got a good approach with some slacking in there, and are right not to underestimate Maine. Whatever you do, take your time and enjoy it! Maine will be there again for your next section if you don't get everything done that you'd like to this year.

A big +1 for Shane and Stacey at The Farmhouse in Rangeley. We stayed there three nights last year and they're excellent and he's knowledgeable about shuttling.
    LT 2013, AT NOBO 2015, MSGT 2016, PCT 2017/2018

Journal Entries

Excellent information and images coming in, thank you all! This morning I spoke with Stacy at the Farmhouse Inn (very helpful and encouraging!), and will speak with Shane later to get needed details. Whether we slack or not, I definitely want to know the bailout options in case we need them. After that discussion, I'll alter our itinerary. Looks like we will push this trip a little later to late August/early September. A little cooler, fewer bugs.

We will make several more trips to Maine (and New Hampshire) in the next few years. This year's trip will give us the firsthand experience that will pave the way for success at Katahdin, Mahoosuc Notch, and elsewhere.

A special thanks to Pedaling Fool for his counsel and links. Focusing on building whole-body strength makes a great deal of sense - I'll be printing that article and sharing it in small pieces with my husband. I think he'll like it! And we'll get started putting it into practice as well. It really is sad to look at people near my age and older who have resigned themselves to the "inevitable" disabilities of aging. Aging is inevitable, but becoming immobile is most assuredly not!

Looking forward to a strenuous uphill hike tomorrow afternoon.

An emergency bail out option that may not have been mentioned is the old railroad grade along Orbeton Stream in the low spot between Poplar Ridge Shelter and Spaulding. If its followed south it brings you to East Madrid. This area got a lot of publicity during the lost hiker S&R last year. This is not an area with a lot of population but a heck of a lot more than heading north into the Caribou Valley or the Redington Pond valley. There is very little or no cell coverage unless you are up high.

Images

http://www.amazon.com/Climbing-Training-Performance-Mountaineers-Outdoor/dp/1594850984

link for training book!!!

://htlimnk tp://www.mazon.com/Climbing-Training-Performance-Mountaineers-Oulldoor/dp/1594850984.google.com/books/about/Climbing.html?/books.google.com/books/about/Climbing.html?id=tcYwDoJzxFwC

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    An emergency bail out option that may not have been mentioned is the old railroad grade along Orbeton Stream in the low spot between Poplar Ridge Shelter and Spaulding. If its followed south it brings you to East Madrid. This area got a lot of publicity during the lost hiker S&R last year. This is not an area with a lot of population but a heck of a lot more than heading north into the Caribou Valley or the Redington Pond valley. There is very little or no cell coverage unless you are up high.
    Shane at the Farmhouse knows where this is. We were dropped off twice there, once for a slackpack south and the next morning to continue on northward. I know he's also picked up a hiker there who needed medical attention and it was the easiest way off the trail. Excellent bail point and easy walking on a nice grade to get out if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
    Shane at the Farmhouse knows where this is. We were dropped off twice there, once for a slackpack south and the next morning to continue on northward. I know he's also picked up a hiker there who needed medical attention and it was the easiest way off the trail. Excellent bail point and easy walking on a nice grade to get out if need be.
    At least on the weekends, there are a lot of cars parked on Caribou Pond road if you walk down the road a bit. The most difficult part is either coming down Sugarloaf or South Crocker Mountain. Both are pretty steep trails. I still need to climb Reddington.

I agree the hike down off Sugarloaf Cirque has some interesting spots. The stream crossing at the base with the plank is also interesting.

Images

Tough trail through there. To make miles, I really try to get into a good rhythm and charge up the climbs because the downhills will really slow you down. If you aren't making good time uphill, 7-8 miles is about all you're going to get in a day.

Journal Entries
    Images

I hiked from Kinsman Notch to Monson two years ago. I did the 275 miles in 21 days, or 13 per day. Maine was hard but to be honest the Whites were the worse. What a trip, best ever.
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HighLiner View Post
    I hiked from Kinsman Notch to Monson two years ago. I did the 275 miles in 21 days, or 13 per day. Maine was hard but to be honest the Whites were the worse. What a trip, best ever.
    The Whites are tougher all things being equal. But when it is wet the Maine slate is much less grippy than the White Mountain Granite.

Journal Entries
    Images

Good point. I wish Whiteblaze had a like check box like Facebook does. I would give you a "like".
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

Quote Originally Posted by HighLiner View Post
    The discussion of which is tougher will rage on. I suspect it is more one of pride than reality. Those that have hiked both states like to tell battle stories and conquests. Along the way, "this was toughest" stories emerge. I felt my Bemis to Hall day was my most exhausting and my walk over the Crockers was the most painful. It is all relative. Distance was a factor on the former and carrying 9 days of food was a factor on the latter. The elevation profiles of NH scared the crap out of me. Therefore, I did NH by notches and travelled with enough food to get to the next notch. I took in as many 4000' hills as I could along the way (12 in the Pemi's). I found most of what I was afraid of to be exaggerated (with the exception of Wildcat E). The climbs are often steeper, but the footing is often better. After the Pemi's I went back to my usual plan (carry enough food to avoid towns and do the side trails to the vistas). I started at Canon and headed for VT.

What is my point? If you have done NH and the Mahoosucs, you are ready for Maine. Don't let people scare you. Those that are making which is harder comparisons, are smiling as they do so. Well... most of them.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I agree the hike down off Sugarloaf Cirque has some interesting spots. The stream crossing at the base with the plank is also interesting.
    I almost walked down a rockslide because I thought it was the trail. My GF asked me "What are you doing?"
    "I'm climbing down the trail"
    "Thats not the trail. There's the blaze"
    I looked behind me and there was the blaze shaped like a right angle pointing off to the right. I can see how maybe Geraldine Largo disappeared in that area.

I'm glad Illabelle posted this thread because this has been in the back of my mind for awhile. I'm not as young as I used to be and my 50 year old body is breaking down (tough paper route). Last year I completed everything south of Undermountain Trail in CT to Springer. Over 10 plus years of section hikes. The plan for the north end is to do things in 50 mile or so section hikes for the next few years. ME and NH have been a big concern.

Twilight

There is always something "tougher". Before I did Maine, I was told that it was the toughest. Then I was told NH was the toughest. Both are done. Now I hear that the north end of the Long Trail is the toughest. I suppose the Smokies will be the next walk that is the toughest. I will just say that I think Maine is the prettiest. Let's start that debate.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I will just say that I think Maine is the prettiest. Let's start that debate.
    Hard to argue that. Maine really is beautiful!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++