WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water on Mt LeConte

Can someone tell me what the water availability is near the Mt LeConte shelter? I will be hiking in on The Boulevard trail.

Thanks.

There's a water pump just a few hundred yards downhill from the shelter next to the main office at Leconte Lodge. They'll let you get all you want and no need to filter. I don't believe there's any other water source near the shelter.

Journal Entries
    Images

^^ +1 Depending on when you go, Operating Season: March 23 – November 25, 2015

Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

there is a spring near the lodge as well that flows year round in case you visit out of season (when they have the pump turned off)
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Check also about bear activity and the shelter being closed. For the last couple of years they have had a real problem there with a couple bears and have at times closed the shelter down!

There was a nice spring that crossed the Boulevard trail when we were on it last October. It was flowing well and we easily filled up our 5 liter bag.

A crowed place when I was there..

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Riocielo View Post
    There was a nice spring that crossed the Boulevard trail when we were on it last October. It was flowing well and we easily filled up our 5 liter bag.
    I don't recall any reliable water sources along the Boulevard except during the 600' decent just after the trail leaves the AT (most of the Boulevard is on or near the ridge line, so there's not much "area" for water to collect to create a spring except soon after a rainfall).

Now the hike from the shelter to the Lodge is 0.2 miles and includes a 100' change in elevation. But the water from the "water pump" is already treated and ready for drinking. (BTW, it's not really a 'pump;... it's a special type of spigot where the shutoff valve is below the frost line.)

That was probably the one we encountered then, as we were headed toward the AT after hiking Mt. LeConte via the Alum Cave Trail.

Thanks everyone for the info. If the weather holds out I will be hiking to LeConte on Sunday and hiking back out on Monday.

++ New Posts ++