Default Where to start (literally!)

Hi all! I've been researching the PCT for many months now, but this is my first post I'm coming to the US from London, and having just been issued my B2 visa I can now start planning the trip in earnest!

I would really appreciate some advice on whether to go for a SOBO thru hike, or to go NOBO and flip-flop. I'm aiming for a mid-June to early-July start. My hiking permit currently starts from 21st May at Big Bear Lake, but I'll be leaving later than that so I can save a bit more money and have more time to prepare.

This is the first time I'll be attempting anything like this, as I have only day hiked before and never camped in the wild. I know SOBO is meant to be quite lonely, but I'm actually more worried about a) getting lost b) snow and c) extreme uphills/downhills as I am not much of a climber!

Images

I would start by camping in the "tame" before spending the pounds to come here. I good tramp in the UK to see if you even like hiking!

I've done enough weekend hikes to know I enjoy it, I just had the luxury of a hot shower afterwards! Happily I'd be coming to the US either way as I have friends who have invited me to stay.

Start around Lake Tahoe and go north. You'll be in the midst of the thruhikers and summer section hikers, so you won't be alone. Snow won't be an issue until September in Washington state when you might get falling snow. The trail is generally very easy to follow. It is an obvious path. Get maps. The trail is not steep. There are some long climbs, but the trail has to be graded for horses, so it is generally only 10% (about 500' per mile climb). There are switchbacks. There are no rock climbs as you get on the Appalachian Trail. Even in the north lack of water can be an issue, so make sure you have the ability to carry a gallon or more at a time.

++ New Posts ++