WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Benton MacKaye Trail Video

Hey guys. I am section hiking the BMT. I just came back from doing my first section, Springer to Wilscot Gap.

If you are interested, here is the video from day 1: Springer to Toccoa River Campsite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jITVbgPuCM

I have zero creativity so a simple video is all I could muster. Also, it is very different from many thru hiker videos. My focus of the video was the trail. What you will see and where. I virtually never appear in the video; however, you will hear my voice more than you care to like I am sure.

No, I don't know what a campsot is. . . lol. I have absolutely no clue.

Images

depending upon my schedule, i may be able to help you out on shuttles when you get into the TN area.........

and if i can get a night out on the trail, the stakes (and steaks) go up...........

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    depending upon my schedule, i may be able to help you out on shuttles when you get into the TN area.........

and if i can get a night out on the trail, the stakes (and steaks) go up...........
    Thank you sir. I anticipate getting to the Ga-TN border this month if all goes well. I'd love to finish hiking the BMT this year.

Also if anyone has any comments about the video, please let me know. It was my first experience putting a video together. I don't have much of a clue as to what I am doing. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to make and share this vid. BTW and not to be boorish but the pronunciation of MacKaye is Ma-K-eye, not Ma-Kay. Trivial point.

And I like seeing the beautiful large campsite at Chester Creek until I see a blasted parking lot and cars right next to it. And then you point out a little campsite for one or two tents and it's right next to an Army helicopter landing zone. These are the kind of outdoor "bummers" which are always a negatory surprise for me so thanks for pointing them out beforehand.

And another BTW---My backpacking friend Willow is starting her thruhike of the BMT on April 1---TODAY---and I hope to join her for part of the middle section to Fontana. See---

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=18084

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to make and share this vid. BTW and not to be boorish but the pronunciation of MacKaye is Ma-K-eye, not Ma-Kay. Trivial point.

And I like seeing the beautiful large campsite at Chester Creek until I see a blasted parking lot and cars right next to it. And then you point out a little campsite for one or two tents and it's right next to an Army helicopter landing zone. These are the kind of outdoor "bummers" which are always a negatory surprise for me so thanks for pointing them out beforehand.

And another BTW---My backpacking friend Willow is starting her thruhike of the BMT on April 1---TODAY---and I hope to join her for part of the middle section to Fontana. See---

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=18084
    I have heard so many different pronunciations. I've always known my way of saying it was wrong, but I didn't know the right way. I will use BMT in the future.

Chester Creek during a week day may be nice, but during a nice weekend? I agree. No chance. Better to keep moving. You'd likely also dislike Toccoa River Campsite. Too many car hikers. I generally dislike car campers as they generally have no respect for anything. The Toccoa campsite had it fair share of trash left about. However, unless you can do a 20 mile day and get to Wallalah Mt., that may be your best bet.

The "Bald" wasn't bad. I have no clue when the military does it's thing. For a shorter day, Bryson Gap may be ideal campsite. Possibly unnamed Gap.

Thanks for the Willow's thru journal. I will be reading intently.

Images

Bryson Gap is a nice campsite. I've also camped at the No-Name gap (I think there is a move to call it Owens Gap) but never at The Bald. I've never been in the area when helicopters land, so I think getting the Army to groom that bald to keep it open is a small price to pay when they do occasionally use it. FWIW I've encountered Army training or signs of it from the Bald all the way to Brawley Mountain. It is just something that is.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Bryson Gap is a nice campsite. I've also camped at the No-Name gap (I think there is a move to call it Owens Gap) but never at The Bald. I've never been in the area when helicopters land, so I think getting the Army to groom that bald to keep it open is a small price to pay when they do occasionally use it. FWIW I've encountered Army training or signs of it from the Bald all the way to Brawley Mountain. It is just something that is.
    SGT Rock. We found numerous signs of the military/military training (bullets, blanks, training instructions).

Also someone must have ran out of food and eaten solely gum. For a 1 mile stretch I picked up at least 30 gum wrappers and gum packages. We found no one in sight who did it.

Video 2 has been uploaded. I am sorry for this quality. It flickers quite a bit. I tried to minimize it as much as I could. Lesson learned. Don't record video from phone. Use camera instead.

Video # 2: BMT Section 1 - Part 2. Toccoa River to Wilscot Gap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJWeI6j38aU

Images

Finally got a chance to look at the videos. A nice virtual hike showing some of the landmarks on the BMT.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Default No sniveling

NO SNIVELING
    I'n not sniveling, Sgt Rock.

Video-wise, the best videos that I have seen do a fast-forward on the walking parts of the trail and slow to normal or slo-mo when crossing a road, or panning or showing a marker. I don't know how it is done, maybe I will look it up one day.

Second, I wish there was a clearing house for trail names l similar to entertainers. Is your Willow the same as the one I know? Yeah, I know, I will look at the link shortly.

Thirdly, I have traveled a bit in recent years. If you want a view of or from mountains, head for the 200 miles between Campo (Mexico border) and Ziggy & the Bear (Palm Springs) on the PCT. Mile high, clear blue sky, and you can see forever and more. If you want a sunset/rise, kayak to the Keys.

Warren
    lifeat2mph.com

edit: One photo of Willow from the '09 tj maybe... ask her is she knows Dah Way He aka Dave Foley
    Last edited by gubbool; 04-06-2015 at 22:00.
    "To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you like everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

That's a good video. Thanks for posting. Don't tell anyone but the grassy area at Owens Overlook is a good place to take a nap on a cold winter afternoon when the sun is shining. I never knew the name of it though.

Images

I'm interested in seeing the next sections on video. I'm thinking of re-hiking GA this summer.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Happy you guys enjoy the video.

SGT Rock, I am simultaneously hiking the AT/BMT/BT. So I jump around a lot. I also have a partner for the BMT who doesn't have as much flexibility as I do; however, I am pretty sure we will do Wilscot to Hwy 76 this month.

When I do the hike again, I will post the video here.

I am hopeful to get to the GA-TN boarder by the end of May. At least that is the goal.

Just did a nearly 20 mile day hike on the BMT from Wilscot Gap to Hwy 76 Appalachian Hwy.

Here is Section 2 - Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEEHZAxlJN4

Wilscot Gap to Hwy 76 Appalachian Hwy Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5M1lvC4rds

Images

Keep them coming.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Keep them coming.
    Working on getting back out there as soon as I can. Memorial day weekend we did the AT thru the smokies. It was an epic 4 1/2 days.

I got a short overnight hike on Bartram Trail planned and then the next section on the BMT will be App Hwy to Daly Gap/Jacks River. The section after that will be Daly Gap to Thunder Rock Campground, which I hope has overnight parking.

Images

Theres parking at thunder rock....

cant remember if there was a charge but you could also park near the dam, or somewhere along the road....

i haven't parked there as I was on way to big frog area from that side.....

Images

No charge to park at Thunder Rock.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

I came back from another weekend hike on the BMT. We did Appalachian Highway (49.4 miles) to Dally Gap (75.3 miles). When the BMT intersects the Jacks River Trail, you can take the Jacks River Trail to Dally Gap Parking Lot.

Definitely not the most scenic hike ever. In fact, there were almost no views in this section and the one listed in SGT Rock's guide we must have passed without seeing the side trail to the view.

I wasn't a huge fan of this section.

This section begins with 6ish miles of road walks/private property walking. I tried my best to document this 6ish mile section to help hikers. However, as a result, the video is quite plain and boring. However, if you are worried about this section, I hope this video will help.

BMT Section 3 - Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PagnF7j4roQ

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++