WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Journal Entries

You're gonna get some negativity around here...just pent up frustration after a long winter!
    you'll do fine! there are so many kids your age out on the A.T, enjoy it all!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Let's be nice! Perhaps Ben was a bit misguided but that is no reason to rake him over the coals.
    Got to admit, the fact that his very first (?) post is "me, me, me/what can this site do for me" does indicate to me that perhaps a good rake over some mildly warm coals might be just what's needed, whether he's trolling for a female or trying to sell something as we've had drive-by spammers do. I always prefer some give with the take, not just take as the first impression.

My first impression is negative. Another approach would have been to take part for a while, contribute to the group, establish a reputation as a good guy, ... then make his misguided post, though by then I don't think he'd make a misguided post.

Maybe that's just me, though.

Compounding the mistake with the second, separate mistake of attacking long-time members as the ones doing something negative, to me at least, is getting close to a nail in a coffin. Often it's the reaction that confirms (or not) whether the original action was good or bad.
    Last edited by Rain Man; 03-31-2015 at 11:45.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Welcome to White Blaze, Ben! Let me give you some advice from the female perspective. I am guessing you didn’t post here, hoping to only hear from the guys…

Here's a secret - The outdoorsy woman you described in your post will NOT be found via this method. She is already out hiking, or is out testing her gear for the upcoming season, or she is training for her hikes. She is not online, looking for someone who says he is interested in all these trails. She is more interested in hiking the trails than meeting a guy. Why? Because she already knows that in getting out there on the trail, the rest will fall into place. She already knows she has increased the odds of meeting someone like-minded just by getting out there and hiking. Don’t forget that this is also her first impression of you – someone who is behind a computer, saying he is interested in all these things. What she sees is not out there DOING these things cuz he is only talking about getting out there and hiking. First impressions can make or break a relationship.

Anyone can say things online…that doesn't mean they will actually get out there and follow through with the "doing" aspect of hiking. Why would you expect the woman of your dreams to be trolling a hiking site, looking for a guy to hike with? The woman you describe is someone who has zest for life and is not the type to sit behind a computer screen hoping to meet someone online. Nope. She is a rare breed and can mostly be found in the great outdoors because that is where she spends her free time when she doesn't have to work/go to school/take care of others. The woman you describe is one who wants to meet people face-to-face and then head out and have fun. Via online, she can't get a true grasp of your enthusiasm for the outdoors and can’t tell if you really are a nice guy… This is why these kinds of posts don’t generally work in the hiker community. There are a lot of people who “talk” about getting out, but fewer who actually do get out and take these hikes.

The good news is that there is hope! You do still have time to get out there and join a hiking club, or just hit the trail and be friendly (as long as it is genuine) and your enthusiasm for hiking will shine through. That will do a far better job of getting you noticed for the right reasons. You have the choice of sitting back and waiting for life to come to you (spoiler alert - it won't), or you can get out there and have adventures and increase the possibility of meeting the woman of your dreams.

Here's another secret - When you get out there and have fun in the outdoors, you are also gaining more adventures to talk about with your dream girl when you do meet her. Us outdoorsy chicks prefer to hear stories about the actual trail, rather than hear about how some guy can help us along on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    Here's another secret - When you get out there and have fun in the outdoors, you are also gaining more adventures to talk about with your dream girl when you do meet her. Us outdoorsy chicks prefer to hear stories about the actual trail, rather than hear about how some guy can help us along on the trail.
    Excellent post. I am reminded of Michael Martin Murphey's song, "Carolina in the Pines"

Registered User BenOnAdventures's Avatar
    Images

All of these responses, good and negative, both make me smile and laugh. I'd definitely like to thank all of you for your responses. Also, I just didn't know what Meet Up section meant (you would have realized that if you read the caption saying it said it was my first post). But good or bad, gotta love the feedback. It's great, it really is. That's why we're all here right? Feedback from others? And one of the posters saying about some people being jealous, that is probably true. In general, people are so much drama nowadays and so many of the responses confirms this. Quit trolling, quit being negative on people's posts and get out on the trail and get exploring people! There's a whole world to explore and you're sitting here worrying about replying to some thread, get out more! Everyone needs a dose of positive in their lives!

Registered User BenOnAdventures's Avatar
    Images

As I said, it was my first post and I didn't know what the meet up section meant. It was an honest mistake. I'm genuinely a nice guy but I get your point. Great feedback!

Images

Ben - No worries! Now ya know! Just get out there and enjoy the trail and the rest will all fall into place. That is one of the most awesome things about life.

Quote Originally Posted by BenOnAdventures View Post
    As I said, it was my first post and I didn't know what the meet up section meant.
    Well maybe if you would have taken 30 seconds to look through the section before Posing.... nah, just make dumb thread and use the " it was my first post " or "It was an honest mistake" BS its an EXCELLENT excuse.

Images
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

As I said, it was my first post and I didn't know what the meet up section meant. It was an honest mistake. I'm genuinely a nice guy but I get your point. Great feedback!
    An you had problems with my none embarrassing private email trying to help you.
    Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Ok dude from your site it looks as though you do get out there. Thats a good thing. If you get out there you will run into a nice girl that might meet your fancy. i am still curious how do you fund all of your adventures. If I had the funds and was 21 I would be down in GA already meeting young folks to your liking. Why are you not there already? If you need funds then spend the next year collecting funds (through a job) and make plans to be there next year.

Quote Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
    Your site looks almost real. You mast be in webpages

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    Ok dude from your site it looks as though you do get out there. Thats a good thing. If you get out there you will run into a nice girl that might meet your fancy. i am still curious how do you fund all of your adventures. If I had the funds and was 21 I would be down in GA already meeting young folks to your liking. Why are you not there already? If you need funds then spend the next year collecting funds (through a job) and make plans to be there next year.
    I would think it's safe to assume that he works. I definitely had the funds when I was 21 but chose to spend them on other things... stupid things... like clothes and cars. If I could only get back the $40k dumped into my "projects"
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    I would think it's safe to assume that he works. I definitely had the funds when I was 21 but chose to spend them on other things... stupid things... like clothes and cars. If I could only get back the $40k dumped into my "projects"
    Having a job and having funds to go on adventures are two different things. How did you come to the assumption that he has work to fund the journeys

People are so negative on here, is it too hard to view things positively and do something you enjoy, move around , live almost nomadically and just enjoy life? People are too negative nowadays.
    To some degree, it's because we know how hard things can be. Money, like it or not, is a necessity for almost everything we do.

Follow the advice of most people--hike the AT and let life happen.
    Last edited by perdidochas; 04-01-2015 at 14:21.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Images

canoe -my link was an actual page that the appalachian trail conservancy put up on their website for april fool's day today. Good one eh
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
    canoe -my link was an actual page that the appalachian trail conservancy put up on their website for april fool's day today. Good one eh
    Thats too funny

Journal Entries

Walter said it all above!

Gentle Ben: if a little harmless ribbing here on WB upsets you, better pack a couple extra hankies or bandanas for all the crying you'll be doing on the trail. After a few weeks on the AT in mud, rain, cold, hot -miserable weather... you'll quickly stop looking for Misses Right...and be happy with Misses Right Now

People are so negative on here, is it too hard to view things positively and do something you enjoy, move around , live almost nomadically and just enjoy life? People are too negative nowadays.

I think we all need to lay off this 21 yr. old male who misunderstood the hook up section. I'm 61 and hope I might meet the right woman. Might happen probably not. But it does happen some. Just remember the AT is about meeting people to hike and hang with, not a dating service.
    Particularly for the young men who are horndogging the young women enough to make them leave the trail.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++